Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP][Demo] The Legend of Zelda: The Rod of Elements (9/8/08, test update)  (Read 6388 times)

[WIP][Demo] The Legend of Zelda: The Rod of Elem...
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:15:07 pm »
Prologue
A long, long time ago…
Evil spirits appeared in the land of Hyrule and just when the world was on the verge of being swallowed by shadow...
The tiny Picori appeared from the heavens, bringing the hero of men a sword and a golden light.
With wisdom and courage the hero drove out the darkness.
When peace had been restored, the people enshrined that blade with care.
Hyrule was left undisturbed for many years, and because of this it prospered. But it was to be that it would not be like this forever.
Terrible disasters occurred. Villages burned, Death Mountain erupted, and the land of Hyrule was on the edge.
Just as the people prayed to the goddesses to save them, a mysterious stranger appeared. He said he could help them, and offered to calm the turmoil and destruction, in return for being the Keeper of the Four Sword.
The people hailed him as a hero, like the Hero of Light of old times. They rallied behind him, and supported him with his cause.
The royal family, with nowhere else to turn, unwillingly accepted his proposition. The stranger then by mysterious power calmed the disasters, and Hyrule was at peace once again.
The people rejoiced, and began restoring the former glory of their land.
The strange man was satisfied. He returned to the castle to retrieve his prize. When he arrived, the royal family denied ever making such a deal with a complete stranger.
Angered, the man used his dark powers to turn the King and his soldiers to stone, and continued to pursue the sword.
When he arrived at the chamber where the Four Sword was hidden, he walked to the sword and pulled it from its pedestal.
No sooner did he realise his mistake…
The sword, sensing an evil being, destroyed it in the only way it could. It absorbed the man, and by absorbing his evil, changed shape in the progress.
The great disasters outside could now not be stopped, and the castle and town sunk beneath the land, never to be seen again.
As for the sword, it was shattered, the pieces flying over the land of Hyrule. It all became legend, and neither the sword nor the man was ever seen again.
Extract from the first chapter
[spoiler=Extract - May contain spoilers]Link is sleeping. Suddenly, the house shakes, and wakes Link from his sleep. He goes downstairs and wakes his father, a farmer who tells him not to worry, and to go back to sleep.
The next morning, Link and his father go to investigate the disturbance, and find that the only way out of the valley they live in has been blocked by a deep chasm that has opened up from the night’s earthquake. Annoyed, and slightly worried, Link’s father sends him to cut wood in the small forest across the paddock at the back of their house, so they can build a bridge, while he will fetch some rope.
Link completes this task, and returns to the chasm. His father then remembers that they need his blueprint folder, which he has left in the barn after making some fences around a field.
Link fetches the book, and gives it to his father, who goes about showing Link how to build a small bridge using the plans. They complete the bridge, and he and his father make their way to the nearby village, Seshripe Village, where they would report their findings to the mayor.
[/spoiler]
Screenshots
very unexciting at the moment... Mapping isn't a priority right now :D.

Demos
4/8/08 - Layer demo - a little test of the layer engine I spent a couple of hours coding. Currently has support for 5 layers above and 5 below, but to change that I only need change a couple of variables.
9/8/08 - Layer demo update - Changed the way the game changes layers and added a test for changing the layers with side movement. Could not recreate the glitch in post http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=30159.msg335738#msg335738
History
4/8/08 - Started topic, uploaded layer test demo.
9/8/08 - Updated the layer test demo with a new way for changing the layer, posted game in the site's WIP section.
20/8/08 - Day/night/lighting engine almost complete, confirmed that the game will be using the ZFGC-API.
Credits
Goodnight - for his movement engine. Thanks mate, never would have been able to do it otherwise, I'm terrible at coding complex movement :D.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:21:45 am by Darklight »
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: [WIP][Demo] The Legend of Zelda: The Rod of ...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:48:02 pm »
Darklight that looks epic. The layering engine looks awesome :D
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:48:22 pm »
I ran up an down at the very top of the screen and the Layer went up to 5, seems very buggy.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:52:33 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
This game has the word Chasm in it, so it's a winner to me.

Coincidentally, this game is what made me steer away from the title "Blade of Elements," as it was too close to this title.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »
I ran up an down at the very top of the screen and the Layer went up to 5, seems very buggy.

:P yeah, working on fixing that. I found it about five minutes after uploading the test.

Ace

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:54:21 pm »
It looks really good, im trying it right now.

Can't wait to see more of it.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 03:59:09 am »
Updates.
9/8/08 - Layer demo update - Changed the way the game changes layers and added a test for changing the layers with side movement. Could not recreate the glitch in post http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=30159.msg335738#msg335738

Also, I've added it to the WIP section in http://www.zfgc.com/index.php#?action=games&sa=view&id=41
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 04:50:22 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Hey, pretty neat engine, it seemed to flow pretty smoothly. The only thing that I should point out in the demo is that Link moves pretty fast (I think) and also, the game information was pulled straight from the Goodnight engine. Just press F1 and you'll see what I mean. Still, good job so far, now let's see some swords and items!
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 05:09:50 pm »
Yay someones using the gamedb, *claps*.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 05:56:19 pm »
Looks like a pretty good start for a game, although the name reminded me of Rod of Leehna >_<; but keep it, it's just me being stupid, it sounds great.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 06:17:52 pm »
I'll check it out.

Also, damn you cb, for making it so you were even younger than I was when I joined!  >:(

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 07:01:26 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Looks nice, and works like a charm :P
Make it possible for items/link to go up(Wind current?) and/or fall down in the middle(Not only on the edges), and you'll have a very nice base for some neat dungeon puzzles.
Good luck :)
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 02:37:41 am »
Hey, pretty neat engine, it seemed to flow pretty smoothly. The only thing that I should point out in the demo is that Link moves pretty fast (I think) and also, the game information was pulled straight from the Goodnight engine. Just press F1 and you'll see what I mean. Still, good job so far, now let's see some swords and items!
XD yeah, I haven't been bothered to edit the info yet. I've given goodnight credit for it, it's just such an awesome engine. I might change Link's speed down a little, he probably is a little fast.
And I'm coding a day/night engine in now, so you'll probably see that next. Just had to get my head around surfaces, they're not that hard, it's just picking the right blend modes.
Looks nice, and works like a charm :P
Make it possible for items/link to go up(Wind current?) and/or fall down in the middle(Not only on the edges), and you'll have a very nice base for some neat dungeon puzzles.
Good luck :)
Well I wanted a resonably complex layering engine for this reason, I'm hoping to build some nice puzzles of of it. I was thinking about making the light engine multilayered, but it would just be too complex and there's not a whole lot of point to it.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 05:27:04 am »
Right, I've almost finished the lighting engine and the day and night engine now, I'm still adding a few functions and stuff to them, but they're in working order. Also, I'll be using the ZFGC-API in this game, to save, add achievements, transfer rupees from your profile at the daily exchange rate, and a few other things I'm not going to say anything about.
I'll add some morning/day/evening/night screens later.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 04:05:36 pm »
Hey, that's cool that someone will be using the Zelda-API in their game.

Do you have any screenshots of the night and day system?
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 03:49:13 am »
Yeah, I did say I'd post them soon.
Morning:

Day:

Evening:

Night:

And yes, they're fireflies. they do have a use in the game.
And on the morning, that's a temporary clock bar untill I actualy sprite a proper one.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 03:51:46 am »
That is awesome! Great job!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 04:01:27 am »
Sweet, wow, that looks a lot better than I thought it would. I hope the dawn/afternoon/dusk/night thing pans out. It looks good.
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 04:07:19 am »
It does, it trasitions smoothly between them all. I've just got to make the fireflies get lost during the day XD.
Gotta start work on the weather engine soon.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 06:48:54 am »
  • 1 Man Army making Hylian Legends
It's looking good thus far :-)

I've been debating time of day transitions & weather- definitely a long ways away on those
two for me though..

Keep up the great work :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 78 queries.