Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 386441 times)

Re: [Demo] The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer ...
« Reply #400 on: August 06, 2007, 08:05:39 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Great work dude, very detailed and looks stunning. I really love all the little details.
Also, the concept seems to work great.
I'll just lift my hat for you, for you seem to have created something special here.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #401 on: August 06, 2007, 11:01:19 pm »
Pretty damn good. Very detailed and smooth looking. There were some minor things and bugs I noticed that can be tweaked, but I trust those will come eventually. Also I had some pretty insane lag in the middle of the first town, was this because of the uncompressed audio? Probably not, so I don't know.
« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2007, 12:47:28 am »
  • SHOOP DA WOOP
Needless to say, great demo. But there have been one or two things that kind of bugged me. I was wondering, could you change it so you can roll as diagonally as you can walk? Not really important, but still.
« Reply #403 on: August 07, 2007, 01:11:20 am »
  • MetalRidley was here
Heh, I liked it. It always ran slower for me in bigger areas, which is why I never really liked your tech demo because I almost thought it was supposed to be that slow. Because of that (I think) the movement controls would seem kind of sticky sometimes, but it was fine when it was running up to speed. I loved the Castle Town even though you can't really do anything; the custom art is really good.

THE MUSIC IS REVERSIBLE, BUT TIME IS NOT. TURN BACK... turn back... turn back...
« Reply #404 on: August 07, 2007, 02:12:24 am »
Though there really is no meat and potatoes to the demo, it was still a very nice peek at the game. The custom art work fit in well with the Minish style and added to the overall feel of the game. There's depth behind the characters in the game which I enjoyed, and the idea behind the dream catcher is superb. I don't know how important having diagonal rolling movement is, (As was suggested earlier) but it would've been nice to have a separate button do that. As Link seems to roll instead of interact with objects sometimes. It'll be interesting to see what you do with this title in the future. It's a very promising title.
  • Pyxosoft

uma

« Reply #405 on: August 07, 2007, 04:46:36 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Yo, King, I was wondering...

Could I make you a hud? The game looks great and you custom work is exceptional godly, but I'm not too fond of the hud... But changing it drastically would result in needing to change up code I assume, so maybe not...
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #406 on: August 07, 2007, 07:39:14 am »
so far I have one problem. and that's with the damn speed of my computer. I'm guessing I was getting 5-15 fps most of the time.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #407 on: August 07, 2007, 07:41:20 am »
....Another mirror please... I get server busy messages =(

Edit: Got it. Bad host >_>.

Edit2: Brilliant? Wow. Makes me look at my game and see what I did wrong. Your game was so stunning in perfection it had be gasping at every movie I made. Good work!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 08:01:57 am by AoDC Lied »
the a o d c
« Reply #408 on: August 07, 2007, 11:44:30 am »
  • I cannot lose!
Heh. Downloading it now. I'll edit once I've played it. Can't wait. *shakes* ><

EDIT: As I excepted, GM 6 or 7 games don't run well on my comp. There's no error messages, the same deal like with the last demo, but the last demo worked after a few days, so I think I'll get to play this someday. :3
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:53:10 am by Feather »
MGS4 == Best game ever. Srsly.
« Reply #409 on: August 07, 2007, 11:52:27 am »
I also love that you've given Zelda a real personality.
Thank you. Since I've decided to set this game after WW I wanted to make it clear this Zelda was a descendant of Tetra and not the sad, tragic Zelda of TP. So she's going to be a feisty and headstrong tomboy, but I'm also making her a little less serious - not quite gained her characteristic wisdom yet, and she doesn't really want the responsibility that comes with being a member of the Royal family. She and Link will grow up quite a bit during the story, I hope.

Oh and where did you get those WW sound effects they'd be very useful for WWA.
I'm hooking my MP3 player up to the TV and recording them from there. They're not great quality heard on their own, but with everything else that's going on in the background it doesn't seem to matter. I'll make a more complete set and make them available for other people to use.

I was wondering, could you change it so you can roll as diagonally as you can walk? Not really important, but still.
I could, yes. It might look a bit odd, but I can't think of anything it would cause problems with... I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

I don't know how important having diagonal rolling movement is, (As was suggested earlier) but it would've been nice to have a separate button do that. As Link seems to roll instead of interact with objects sometimes.
Really? If you look at the old tech demo, the context-sensitive Z button would only change if you were stood still and in contact with an interactive object - if you were moving the roll attack action would always get priority. It was suggested that I change that so that the object's action would get the priority, as otherwise it would be annoying opening doors and trying to talk to people. So I did change it, and I was pretty sure I'd covered everything. If you're still rolling when you think you should be doing something else, could you tell me what the circumstances are? I can't find any myself... One thing I am already planning to do is enlarge the 'triggers' for interacting with objects, so that might help in sorting this problem out.

Could I make you a hud? The game looks great and you custom work is exceptional godly, but I'm not too fond of the hud... But changing it drastically would result in needing to change up code I assume, so maybe not...
Hmmm... It wouldn't really require much change to the code, but I'm not a fan of slapping fancy 3D-style HUDs on 2D games as they tend to obscure parts of the playing area. It's not a problem in a 3D environment where the camera POV is always changing, but in my opinion, in 2D, the very simplest HUDs work better. I might think about stylising it eventually, but it will be some way down the line.

I had some pretty insane lag in the middle of the first town, was this because of the uncompressed audio? Probably not, so I don't know.
so far I have one problem. and that's with the damn speed of my computer. I'm guessing I was getting 5-15 fps most of the time.
Ugh. I don't quite know what I can do about this. I suspect the audio isn't playing a part, but I'm curious, Soulrivers - do you mention the village because it gives you the most lag? What about Kakariko Trail (the one with the octos?) Using debug mode on my computer (i.e. the one I'm using to develop this) I was noticing a slight dip of 1 or 2 frames in certain areas of Kakariko Trail, but nothing in the village. This was backed up by the other, older, computer I have access to. It ran a little slower generally, but the dip in framerate was definitely more noticeable in the trail. Those two are certainly the busiest rooms.

But the thing is, it *should* be more stable than the tech demo. For everyone. After reports of slowdown on the tech demo - and considering, since adding the day/night engine, most seemingly passive objects are now doing stuff - I tried optimising the code as much as I could. Now, anything that leaves the view (albeit with a buffer) is deactivated and only reactivated as they re-enter. So, for example, in Kakariko Trail, the number of objects active at any point in time is far, far less than there was in the tech demo version: from memory, just shy of 2000 down to between 300 - 500 at a time.

Like I say, I don't know what I can do about it. It may just be a problem inherent with putting that amount of detail into each room. If it's any consolation, I guarantee we'll all have upgraded to much faster machines by the time I've finished this game anyway, I'm sure. :P

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. They're always appreciated. XD If you could elaborate on any bugs you say you've found, I'd be grateful. Cheers!

ursername180

« Reply #410 on: August 07, 2007, 12:02:35 pm »
2ND POST!

To be honest. I love you. I love this whole project and I'm about to play the demo. It looks VERY VERY official and I'm hoping the demo will be the icing on the cake so far.

Hope you go well!
« Reply #411 on: August 07, 2007, 03:05:38 pm »
Really? If you look at the old tech demo, the context-sensitive Z button would only change if you were stood still and in contact with an interactive object - if you were moving the roll attack action would always get priority. It was suggested that I change that so that the object's action would get the priority, as otherwise it would be annoying opening doors and trying to talk to people. So I did change it, and I was pretty sure I'd covered everything. If you're still rolling when you think you should be doing something else, could you tell me what the circumstances are? I can't find any myself... One thing I am already planning to do is enlarge the 'triggers' for interacting with objects, so that might help in sorting this problem out.

Very true, this is the behavior, it's just something I'll have to get used to. As I find myself trying to do things before the action is allowed. A suggestion I also forgot to mention is maybe have the default control buttons not on the num pad. As some people (*coughmecough*) have laptops without them XD
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #412 on: August 07, 2007, 03:33:38 pm »
You already know I'm a huge fan of your work, and I don't have to write long, detailed paragraphs to explain how insanely badass-ely beyond awesome this is.

I will post though as soon as I get home with some comments and suggestions. Nothing much, though - this is God's doing.
« Reply #413 on: August 07, 2007, 04:09:41 pm »
not bad
good mechanics.. when you enter a new map you have to retrigger movement keys
i liked the bump into tree feature.. howd you do it? sprite?

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #414 on: August 07, 2007, 04:14:45 pm »
I played the recent demo, and although it took a few minutes to load up, after that it worked fine.  And you seem to have filled the game rather than making it bland, and most of the characters actually seem to have personality.  I hope to see this game when(and if?) it's finished.
- Click to go to thread

uma

« Reply #415 on: August 07, 2007, 05:07:55 pm »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
KM: I'm not talking about 3d, just some changes here and there... Nothing extremely complex.
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/

Goomdaddy

« Reply #416 on: August 07, 2007, 07:41:04 pm »
The demo is a bit short but it looks great. This is the best Zelda demo I have ever seen. I hope you finish. I am also glad to see that this game is made in gamemaker.
« Reply #417 on: August 07, 2007, 09:45:47 pm »
  • [sic]
Oh yeah, Mob, about the hud.. I agree. It's just that yours is quite sparse and without style. If you look at the ones in LTTP and MC, you'll see that they're both nice and bunched up, and also have a nice style of arrangement, like having the semicircle of buttons in MC.

And, I think the actions were too sensitive location-wise. I often found myself standing next to a rock, trying to pick it up, and thinking I could (being used to MC) and finding I had to move up some even though it appeared as though from that position Link would be able to pick it up.

edit - oh, I remembered one other complaint I had, which applies to most Zelda fangames. When you leave a room/area and go to a new one, if you were holding down the arrow key, you still stop and have to let go and press it again. Please fix this, it gets super annoying.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:15:15 pm by Kame »
« Reply #418 on: August 07, 2007, 10:22:22 pm »
  • A little Alive
WOOOOOOOOW FREAKING AWESOME TOWN screenie.
damn this is the best mc games I've seen.
very nice mate!
I love the boat did you really make that custom
« Reply #419 on: August 07, 2007, 11:34:23 pm »
I only get lag inside the village, not on the trail. My computer specs are as follows.

512 mb RAM
1,6 gHz processor
Geforce 3 Ti graphics card

I can run most older 3D games just fine, so I have no clue why this would lag.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 78 queries.

anything