Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] The Legend of Zelda RPG (NES Style)  (Read 7310 times)

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
[DEMO] The Legend of Zelda RPG (NES Style)
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:01:22 pm »

Creators: Classic Game Music HD Admin
Last Updated: Sunday, January 23rd 2011
Language: English
Current Version: Demo Alpha v1.0.0.1 (download)
Engine Completion: 90%
Game Completion:  Unknown

System Requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / 7
2.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 equivalent
512MB of DDR2 system RAM
1024x768 resolution

About:

This is a Legend of Zelda NES remake made using RPG style game play. This is not a remake of the story, simply a remake of the style. All graphics will be from the NES version of the game along with some custom creations. The story will not revolve around Gannon and his appearance is uncertain. The main objective of the game is to recover your piece of the triforce (the triforce shard of courage). However many other quests/duties will be available from the many different NPC characters in the game.

One major difference is the connection to NPC's as well as link himself. Karma will be in the game, ala Fallout. As well as link being able to talk (via text dialog). Characters will also have a lot to say as well as jobs you can do to earn money.

Skills and stats, such as HP, MP, Defense, Agility, etc will not rise based on your level. You will start the game with 100 max HP as well as level 0 or 1 of all other stats and no skills. You will earn stat increases and skills by engaging in training, drinking potions, etc. Your character level will only effect certain parts of the game and give you a feel of general progression.

Gamer score, ala Xbox 360, will also make an appearance. By getting certain amounts of kills for each type of enemy, completing quests/jobs, finding hidden items, etc will earn you gamer score points. This statistic will simply be there to act as a game completion statistic. You can compare it with other players on the web. You can't finish the game with a gamer score of 0.

The game will play as close to the NES version as possible, with the battle system being front-view selection based. This means battles will feature graphical depictions of the enemy or enemies you are fighting and battle actions will have minor animation. Link, along with party members, will not show up graphically. Actions will be chosen text menu style and feature a basic move attack, skill/magic selection and item based attacks.

The overworld will play just like the original NES game, minus the battle elements. You cannot attack enemies in the overworld itself. Enemies will appear and move as they would in the original game and battles, as described above, will commence when physical contact is achieved by the player and the enemy. When an enemy runs or is defeated the enemy will disappear from the overworld. If the enemy runs or you run, you will not get EXP points. Not all enemies can run, and you cannot run from all enemies. Battle rules are different for each enemy. Enemies will also have different weakness's and strengths based on the their body type and spiritual ability. An example of this is your fists will be absorbed slightly due to their soft "cushion" nature, but slash and stabbing weapons will have an easier time causing damage due to their soft nature.

The game will feature many different items, tunics, shields, weapons, skills, etc. Many of which were not in the original game but are still derivatives of the original item/weapon set, and some new ones as well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:29:15 am by cgmHDblog »
  • Classic Game Music HD

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
Re: The Legend of Zelda RPG (NES Style)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:19:49 pm »
Need some help with a sprite. If someone can modify the link sprite so he has no shield yet doesn't look like he's holding one during animation we would really appreciate it. This way all we have to modify is the tunic he is wearing when you change tunics in the game. We would have to recolor and re-shield link too many times if we had to change the sprite for each possible combination.

Here is the sprite image (please don't resize. sprite must remain 32x32 per section).

• Classic Game Music HD
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:42:15 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I didn't make these.  I think they're from the Oracles games.

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:10:13 am »
Awesome. Thanks.
  • Classic Game Music HD

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
Re: [DEMO] The Legend of Zelda RPG (NES Style)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:27:25 am »
There is a new Alpha demo available to download (see first post). This isn't anything special. The engine is 90% done and the game is starting to be developed.

I just need some people to download the demo and let me know if Kokiri Field slows down on your PC. I am developing this game on an older PC for easy to guess system requirement details. The game continues to be playable for me but throughout the whole game there are random slight FPS drops and while outside (Kokiri Field in the demo) the FPS will constantly drop in and out though still completely playable.

Just need to know if anyone with a computer that is considered moderate by today's standards gets the same FPS drops.
  • Classic Game Music HD

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 04:20:48 am »
3 days and no response? I guess no one else had the issue.
  • Classic Game Music HD
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »
Just played the demo. Really good! I hadn't really ventured any further than the field and the cavern, but I was still impressive with how you've set up everything. As far as the game being slow, I hadn't experienced anything like that while playing, so, you've got a pretty good start on your hands :)
  • YouTube Profile

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:28:32 am »
That's all the demo is. You just start in a cave, which is where you actually start in the game, then venture out in the field which only has 2 enemies in it.

I just needed to know if there was any slowdown for anyone else. Like I said, it's still playable even on this old PC, but I needed to know if it was just this PC not being able to handle it 100% or something I was doing wrong.

Thanks for the response though. Now I know I didn't do something the engine doesn't like. I haven't worked on the game since because I didn't want to get too far ahead and not know if I recreated the problem somewhere else; should there have been a problem.
  • Classic Game Music HD
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 11:58:23 am »
I like the concept. There were two pretty random slowdowns, but those didn't disturb me.
The introduction dialogue with Delp was fun too. The only thing that I noticed is that  a fight with an octoroc makes Link lose around 30 hp, which might be a bit much in the beginning. But work on!
- Viewing at the moment: Project Runway [TV-series].
- Reading at the moment: Kuragehime [manga], Uncanny X-men issues 37 - 66 [comics].
- Listening to at the moment:
- Playing at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN], FFCC: Ring of Fates [NDS].
- Let's Play in-the-making at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN]
- Studying at the moment: University course "French, Preparatory Course" for a re-examination on subcourse "Grammar and Translation" in August, University course "Basic Course in the Humanities" for a re-examination on subcourse "The Concept of Culture" in August.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 12:08:32 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Make the first sword auto-equip and you should be good to go :P

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 12:16:53 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Everything that was stated before + have the victory fanfare stop if you press Z to get to the overworld after a battle. Pretty fun concept though :)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »
Oh, I didn't equip the sword or shield. Damn silly of me.
- Viewing at the moment: Project Runway [TV-series].
- Reading at the moment: Kuragehime [manga], Uncanny X-men issues 37 - 66 [comics].
- Listening to at the moment:
- Playing at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN], FFCC: Ring of Fates [NDS].
- Let's Play in-the-making at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN]
- Studying at the moment: University course "French, Preparatory Course" for a re-examination on subcourse "Grammar and Translation" in August, University course "Basic Course in the Humanities" for a re-examination on subcourse "The Concept of Culture" in August.

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 03:32:47 am »
This project is dead for the most part. We haven't worked on it for a long time because the thumb drive where the project was saved got lost. All we have is the older version (one you see here) so... yeah it's pretty much dead.
  • Classic Game Music HD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 60 queries.