Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about gOS  (Read 977 times)

Thinking about gOS
« on: November 19, 2007, 07:36:33 pm »
I am a Windows !@#$%, so let's get that out of the way. This would be my first Linux install and I'm doing so because I have an old dell Latitude that runs slow as all hell because it's dirt old. So old, that it does not even have a model number... it's just Dell Latitude. I've decided to use gOS because of it's system requirements and because it simplifies everything which will be very helpful to people who use this laptop and are not computer literate. The use of this laptop is wireless internet access, a word processor, and basic media(ie. Flash, youtube, cds).

My main concern, assuming gOS will even work on the laptop(ie. install/boot/run),is that the wireless may never work on it again... is that true or is there a bunch of wifi drivers out there that I may have a shot with? Does anyone have a good resource site full of downloads(drivers, apps, etc...) for getting started on a new linux build or would anyone be kind enough to suggest software that's relativly easy on the resources and/or may be fun to try out from a tech's perspective? From my understanding, gOS is just a pretty picture on Ubuntu, so I'm guessing what works with one will work on the other?

I checked Dell's site and of course, there's no Linux drivers, but I'm hoping that there's a generic driver out there that may work with this old hardware. Not sure what type of card it is, but I can post that later if that'll help.

Thanks for the tips in advanced and please, please no OS wars here... I just want to use gOS and get it to work. If it fails, then maybe I can start a thread and get some advice on other builds.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
Re: Thinking about gOS
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »
Well if this is like Ubuntu, then there should be a package manager with it, where you can pretty much get whatever program you need. I imagine that the ubuntu docs and whatnot would work in most cases as well, so you should be all set.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:54:43 pm »
Sounds encouraging, thanks!
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
Windows XP SP2

- Trask
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:58:19 pm »
Ubuntu is extremely simple to install and set up, and I imagine that this would be as well, so you shouldn't have to worry about too much.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:40:36 pm »
That's what I'm hoping; I figured this would be an easier transistion for me considering it's sold on those Wal-Mart laptops. Only non-Windows OS that I've worked with was FreeBSD and that was for 3 Unix courses that I had, so I'm a bit nervous about the transition, but I'm anxious to expand to my knowledge into other OSes as well.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
Windows XP SP2

- Trask
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:27:23 am »
Believe me, if it bears any semblance to Ubuntu, a braindead monkey could install it. The package manager (Synaptic) makes it easy to download specific packages, but ever since Edgy Eft (or was it Feisty?) there's now an "Add/Remove Programs" which is basically a simplified frontend to Synaptic. Provided you have Internet, you'll have no trouble getting software.

Oh and by the way, I used to have a similar laptop; usually the specific model number is shown when you boot up the PC.

As far as wifi goes, find the Windows drivers for the device and use ndiswrapper to run them. There are plenty of guides that go into detail on that.
  • Penny Arcade
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 48 queries.

anything