Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Organization Changes  (Read 20979 times)

Organization Changes
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:08:56 am »
Alright,

I made some massive changes tonight, mostly some board organizational things, some of you wont be overly pleased with the changes, but it's what we feel is best to get this site back on track towards development.

The purpose of this forum (generally speaking) is development, specifically Zelda Fan-Game development, if you're not here to play those games or develop those games, we really feel you have no purpose here.

With that said, I've removed the following boards:

Other Discussion
Debates/Current Events
Advertisements
Topic Archive (still there it just needs cleaned so I've hidden it for now)
Forum Games

A lot of boards have been renamed and placed in logical locations. There is still a lot of shifting to be done and 'rules' regarding the functionality of the Project/Development boards, those will come later today (it's 12am for me at the moment).

Feedback is welcome.. I'm always happy to take suggestions and ideas. However being negative or harsh isn't acceptable.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:16:41 am by 4Sword »
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
Re: Organization Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:26 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
A bold move vash, very bold. But nonetheless, I'm happy this site is finally taking some action other than numerous topics in various boards about the future.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:26:28 am »
I have no purpose here :'(

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:30:42 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

I think what he's ultimately trying to say is that you too have something you could contribute to the game development community. You're very articulate and intelligent; so why not shoot out some game ideas or storylines or something along those lines while you're browsing. Stuff like that. Realistically it's something everyone can participate in in one way shape or form. Game development isn't all programming.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:36:07 am »
Game development has a lot of parts, I don't fit into any of the 'core' parts myself at the moment. I'm not a programmer or a graphics designer by any means.. but I do play games, that's one of the most important parts. :p
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:40:22 am »

I think what he's ultimately trying to say is that you too have something you could contribute to the game development community. You're very articulate and intelligent; so why not shoot out some game ideas or storylines or something along those lines while you're browsing. Stuff like that. Realistically it's something everyone can participate in in one way shape or form. Game development isn't all programming.

Out of every compliment you've ever given me Mammy, this has to be the best one.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:44:10 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
So I'm gonna be writing some spriting tutorials for graphics forum, and try to integrate the chatroom a bit better.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 02:10:14 pm »
  • *whistle*
Nooooooo, not Off-topic

;-;

Without OT, Guardians of Hyrule is basically the only reason I'm here...

Oh yeah, I guess I better do some writing for that.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 02:23:11 pm »
I'm ok with the new layout myself. I'll be waiting for those sprite tutorials, DJ! *Looks for GM Zelda tutorials*

EDIT: I was thinking, what about a support forum? You know, in case people aren't working on a game and just want to know some things about GM. Take my example question:

Is there a way to export rooms and full gif or png maps?

That question doesn't seem deserving of a topic in any of the development forums. I'm thinking a support forum would solve most of the "off-forum" topic issues.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:29:21 pm by Jeod »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 04:12:47 pm »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
Nooooooo, not Off-topic

;-;

Without OT, Guardians of Hyrule is basically the only reason I'm here...

Oh yeah, I guess I better do some writing for that.

And I need to get off my ass, stop playing Rock Band 2, and get back to programming GoH. >_>

But I personally dont think this is a good move. I can understand wanting to gear the forum towards development, but I dont think anything will make this forum popular like it once was. And I dont think this will work very well. Sure, a few people might start up development on their games. But many more will just leave the forum.

Who cares about development? If people want to develop, they will develop. If they dont, let them talk, if that's what they're here for.

Man, you guys are even better than Sonic Team at alienating a userbase.

At least bring back Debates.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 04:26:43 pm »
Looks a bit sloppier to me. Like you have way to many sections in Development and Resources.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 04:39:37 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I guess I'm more of a neutral type when it comes to this. I really don't mind the changes, however I can see the good and bad out of this.

GOOD: more emphasis on development, I find, is a good idea. We are Zelda FAN GAME Central. I haven't tried developing a fan game with Game Maker or anything, but I am a programmer and it is very interesting to see what you guys are developing. I will do my best to supply more ideas and suggestions. Also, I'm a graphics designer, so maybe supplying more graphics could help too.

BAD: I can see where people would get annoyed by this change. The forums you took down were non-development forums. Let's say everyone here was helping with development; those forums you took down served as almost a break for developers. They were good to kind of get to know the community on an off-topic relation. As much as I agree that this forum is supposed to be for development, taking down off-topic forums like this may enrage people or get them to just post their silly topics in Community Speak or something.

I'll emphasize that I'm neutral to these changes, but I can see why this is a bad idea.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 05:36:14 pm »
Off, i like off topic, i didn't post in debates much, but it was still good to have it, same with advertising.

The purpose of this forum (generally speaking) is development, specifically Zelda Fan-Game development, if you're not here to play those games or develop those games, we really feel you have no purpose here.

This is like a huge "!@#$% you" to a lot of people, me included. This is a great place to post about a lot of things, and yet you're changing that. Trying to force the hand of development won't work.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 05:37:54 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
Off-topic and Debate are two of my favorite ;_;
You don't have to kill the enjoyability of the community to get people emphasizing developing games, you know.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 05:47:34 pm »
To me this will kill the community off. While yes I understand wanting to increase the development of games on this forum, this isn't the best way to go about it :/
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 05:48:39 pm »
To me this will kill the community off. While yes I understand wanting to increase the development of games on this forum, this isn't the best way to go about it :/
Just for the record; I agree.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 05:58:38 pm »
Yeah, I don't see how taking a large degree of enjoyability from the community will encourage fan game development. That'd be like cutting off your feet hoping that your arms will grow longer.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 06:00:26 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Its like removing a cancer from your foot that's kept you from running to train for being a track star
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 06:02:04 pm »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
Well I doubt this is all that's happening, I'm sure there are other things coming, it's just in the works.

I C'Z U
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 06:03:28 pm »
Its like removing a cancer from your foot that's kept you from running to train for being a track star

Ummm... no. Posting on Other Discussion isn't nearly as time consuming as making a whole !@#$% Zelda game. If people are so addicted to forums that they just can't do anything else (like develop games) they'll just leave ZFGC and go to another forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 77 queries.

anything