Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP Website] Horoscope Generator  (Read 1645 times)

[WIP Website] Horoscope Generator
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:11:03 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
The website has no ads at the moment, and it's free hosting, I'm not making any money from it (though I would appreciate if a few of you clicked the 2nd picture in my signature and signed up with them, they offer free hosting with PHP and MySQL, which isn't very common, and if 20 people sign up after being referred by me I get £50 xD) at the moment, but still it seems like (being a website) it fits better here.

Basically, it's a project of bordom and proof-of-concept, it's a database which contains at the moment approximately 50 generic messages. Then, using the current month, day and year as a seed, it generates the random numbers to pick and combine these messages. It's a clever trick that means each day the messages change, and yet they stay the same for the whole day.

I still need to graphically design the page, maybe optimise it, create some fancy pictures and all that. At least the core code is this.

http://horoscopes.net23.net/

No need for screenshots really, since it's all text. Like i said, I've no ads there at the moment, make no money from it, yadda yadda yadda, I just want opinions. Like if I added loads more generic messages (note-to-self, make a mechanism for this. phpmyadmin takes waaay too long), could it be left to run and with a few ads, maybe a domain page, is it at heart a decent idea? I mean, people are idiots...

Note: I don't believe in horoscopes at all, if anything this just goes to prove that generic messages can be pieced together to seem deep and meaningful.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:17:53 pm by TheDarkJay »

Ryan

The only Canadian?
Re: [WIP Website] Horoscope Generator
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:58:53 am »
It doesn't even load.

Also, 000webhost blows ass.
Why don't you just use 110mb?
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:37:24 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
odd, loaded for me at college (until it got blocked for being 'match making' 0_o) and loads for me now.

I just came across 000webhost first :P Also with 000 you can create multiple domains and such on one account for free, which is nice since I'm just testing things out and not making a 'proper' website :P
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:05:22 pm »
  • Minalien
It doesn't even load.

110mb also blows ass.

Purchase a reseller and host mini shits like this there, like I do.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:31 pm »
It doesn't even load.

110mb also blows ass.

It's the best free host out there.
>_>
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 02:10:02 am »
  • Minalien
It doesn't even load.

110mb also blows ass.

It's the best free host out there.
>_>
Tell that to Zidane. 110mb doesn't let you get away with ten gigs of bandwidth monthly.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 51 queries.