Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When/Why/How did you get into game/fan-game development?  (Read 2069 times)

When/Why/How did you get into game/fan-game deve...
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »
When:
It was 1998 and we had gotten the glorious 28.8k dial-up ISP.  I was really into Ocarina of Time and Nintendo had this really neat bird's-eye mmo game thing going on for the Ocarina of Time website.  It may have been zelda.com but that is obviously alot different now than what it used to be.

Anyway, from searching the net around the age of 11, I came across zeldapower.com which still has the games I downloaded years ago.
http://zeldapower.com/index.php/table/fan_games/  They had the games Twist of Fate down to Virtual Link back then.(Tells you not many finished games anymore).  I loved these games although today they seem like crap.  After finishing some, I would see an ad for Klik n Play, or Games factory.  I did more searching and found many many other websites which no longer exist, dekutree.com was one of them.  believe it or not, back then, there were a truckload of completed Zelda fan-games.  dekutree.com used to have over 50 of them and that is where I uh also found *cough* roms *cough*.  After playing so many fangames, I decided to get into it myself.

Why:
I wanted to make a fan game just like the ones I played back then.  Now, however, times are different.  There is a certain level of quality required now.  Back then, you could throw moving nasty rips of Link from LttP together with some NES stalfos and call it a game and people loved it.  Now, it seems if you do not reach near commercial quality, people are quick to scorn(I am guilty of it at times as well).
Still, I do want to make one good Zelda fan game in my life.  In a way, it shows how much the Legend of Zelda series has impacted my life.  Of course, I also need to get my Metal Gear Solid, Megaman, and Resident Evil fan-games finished some day too :P

How:
Clickteam.com  It was that simple.  Once I learned about Klik n Play and The Games Factory, I went ahead and downloaded them.  Klik n Play was distributed pretty much for free from what I remember.  TGF did cost some, but the 30 day trial was free and back then, you just reset the calendar on the pc :) lol.  I think I vaguely may have seen something back then for what is now Game Maker.  I did not know about C++ or any real programming.  Today, I wish I had because learning C++ at 11 would make me a beast at it today...well, one would hope.
So, I used Klik n Play for a looooooooooong time.  Never really released anything.  Just learned and had lots of fun.'

Well, how about you?  How did you get started in it?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: When/Why/How did you get into game/fan-game ...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
As a kid, I always dreamed about making a videogame some day. At some point I was searching around the internet and found a ZFGC like place for Sonic Fan Games (Don't ask me what it was called, I don't remember and don't really care) and I played a bunch of shitty Sonic games. A few had some funny concepts like When Tails Got Bored, and eventually I ran into Sonic Robo Blast 2 which was a pretty ok SEGA Saturn like Sonic fangame for PC, but it all fueled my want to make a game even further. Eventually I met a kid at school who wanted to make a Kirby fangame, and we decided we were going to make a crossover, Sonic and Kirby. Stupid idea but it makes sense when you consider how few kids would have the ambition to want to make a game. I tried Klik and Create which I saw advertised on one of my old PC games and the thing was total crap, it wouldn't let me make any custom assets since it was just the demo so I kind of assumed it couldn't do anything more. (And honestly that version might've been old enough that it really couldn't do much)

At some point I found RPG Maker 2000 and started playing around with that. I made an RPG using DBZ characters, Sonic characters, Kirby characters, and random assets from other games that I could find. I played some of the top tier RPG Maker 2K games like Legion Quest (I think that's what it was called) and they were pretty good, but eventually I gave up when I couldn't do anything but an RPG in the thing. I found GameMaker and made a Sonic fangame in it, although the thing was crap. It was one room with two emeralds you could pick up (They didn't do anything, you could just pick them up) and then you could run around and jump on the platforms. That was actually quite a bit of work for somebody who had no idea what they were doing to be honest, but I got burnt out on the thing since I wouldnt' be able to figure out how to do loop de loops and all that other cool !@#$% that made Sonic games what they were.

Then one day I was browsing GameFAQs and found a topic about OoT2D, linking to TRM's website. From there I found the forums and registered to ask about the game in the sticky topic, but ended up closing it and posted the next day helping some kid figure out how to save an image instead. I got involved with the community here and started making my own original game in GameMaker since literally half the community had their own Zelda fangame projects going, and I wasn't too interested in making a Zelda game. And so I started working on John and the Evil Pet, and kept on working until I had four levels done and some really barren filler between them to advance the plot. The game's still fun as hell to play, and was by far my most advanced game I'd ever made at that point. Recolored assets from different games meshed together to create some new sprites, ripped music from Sonic games mostly (lol), a couple of hand drawn sprites (Which were lower quality but hey) and it was all peachy

Soon after that I started learning C++ because I wanted to move past GameMaker and that was like every ZFGCer's dream (To learn how to use DirectX or OpenGL and make a fangame with it) but nobody at that point could do it. I started playing with Allegro and put together a test room where I had a player character and gave him some Street Fighter 2 style healthbars. I ditched this and stopped doing game development for a while

Later on I tried starting over and learning the dreaded DirectX while simultaneously trolling the !@#$% out of ZFGC (Hell yeah) I was disappointed to find that DirectX7 was the last version with DirectDraw, and DirectX9 still didn't have proper 2D support without writing your own system. So I learned all about vertex buffers and object oriented programming as I attempted to create my own drawing system for DirectX. This was where I really learned to program, I didn't learn all that much working with Allegro.

I managed to make myself a Win32 wrapper (Which I posted on here somewhere I think, and I'm pretty sure its uploaded on GDU somewhere) and basically it made for quick creation of a Window so you could play with DirectX instead of !@#$% with Win32. I was trying to write one for Direct3D as well but I stopped working with the API before I finished it.

Then I took a year's worth of CS courses at my university, and to be honest they were terrible. I got to work some with Java but I didn't learn anything besides some Java specific things. I'd already worked with Java some at an internship so it was kind of like listening to lectures on your ABC's. And yet I still managed to only get a B in the class because CS tests suck. If you don't memorize the parameters of functions to write it down on the paper you're gonna have trouble because they'll knock you for it. A lot of great programmers will tell you that's not what its about anyway, you'll always have a reference book on hand when you're programming. Stupid.

Then I opened up GDU and we were going to create a game engine to go with it, which I'm still working on. I call it ExpressCat, it uses XNA4 as the API, and I'm currently making a Pwn Squad game in it. I don't have a whole lot to say except I got an even better understanding of OOP working with C# since it makes everything so clear-cut and simple, and that I love the language

So yeah.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:52:01 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I think it was about 1996 or so when I got into programming. I had good ol' Dos and Win 3.1! ;3 So yeah, I programmed in Dos with QBasic, and rather badly I might add.

I was home schooled, so I spent pretty much all my time at the house. I didn't really like to read, so I spent most of my time gaming, playing Chip's Challenge some, but mostly old Dos games, like Raptor, Zone 66, Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Crystal Caves, etc. I loved games and I had a wild imagination, so I'd often daydream about making my own crazy-awesome games. Then, one fateful day, my brother introduced me to the basics of programming in QBasic. So I made some.. uhh, stuff/crap. You couldn't really call them games cuz they were super lame and I coded everything soooo badly.

Anyway, after a PC upgrade and a score on free 56k dial-up internet, I found what was known as Game Maker 1.0. Yes, that's right, I was there in the beginning. GM used to have a blue ball icon back in the day. Anyway, I started making some more crappy "games" with that and increased my skill as new Game Maker's came up. I always liked it when my friends played my games and were impressed. This makes me laugh now btw, cuz my games sucked so bad, lawlz! Nevertheless, it did encourage me, and I got better because of that. I made a few mediocre games under the name of "MDS Games", though that name has since been discontinued.

Somewhere in that time, I went to a friends house and discovered Zelda on the Super Nintendo. I LOVED IT. It was the most epic adventury game I ever played at the time. Shortly after playing that, I found Zelda Classic, which introduced me to the first Zelda. I know, sad that I never played the original Zelda on an actual Nintendo (until years later, that is). I made a couple full-length quests with ZC, but I eventually got bored of it because it didn't give me enough options. Then I tried a bit with old versions of GM, but I barely got passed planning before it fell apart, so I kinda lost interest in programming Zelda's and I continued making little snack-sized games that were just so-so.

To keep this short-ish (...too late? :P): My bro got a N64 and OoT and I played it ALL THE TIME. That did it; I got Zelda fever, so I started looking around for Zelda fan games, just to see if there were any good ones out there, but I was sad to see that there really weren't too many. However, I did stumble across this website and these forums in my searches and, after a bit of lurking, I decided to join because I really wanted to try and make a fun Zelda of my own and I saw this place as an opportunity for that. So that's how it started, with a little imagination and a desire to create something fun out of something I greatly enjoy, that is Zelda.
  • My Music
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:23:31 pm »
My first experience was back during the summer before my 7th grade year. My best friend at the time had learned a little bit of Game Maker from his older brother who was actually working in the industry. So we had decided to get together and make a little fan game called Super International Fighters. It was supposed to be an expansive version of Super Smash Bros. but included characters from several different games. So we got a little bit done on it, but never really worked on it after that.

A few weeks later I went to my dad's in Missouri to spend a few weeks. Since he was usually gone till 3 PM, I'd spend the mornings figuring out Game Maker. I started working on a little Sonic game that consisted of about 5 rooms and your goal was to simply reach the end. Then I took the concept a bit further and worked on a Megaman Battle Network-like game but took the more traditional Megaman style and made it a side-scrolling platformer. It had a few bosses with the addition of a secret one as well. I continued to work on some simple little projects after that.

About November-ish of that year I was browsing through GMC and came across a pretty elaborate Zelda engine that someone was working on. That person was also a member here, unfortunately I can't remember the name. =\ He decided to quit working on it and released the source code. So I picked it up and starting messing with it. At this point I was using mostly the drag and drop action in Game Maker to do my programming, but now seeing this engine with mostly scripts I actually started getting more and more interested it. So I started adding little bits to the engine and eventually wanted to add the Lens of Truth to it. That's what led me here.

I had been on the site before, but never actually registered. Wanting help for figuring out how accomplish the Lens of Truth effect is what made me register. So I stayed for a while and began browsing and posting learning more and more and more and more. I eventually started working with thegoldchuchu on the Wind Waker Advanced project during my 8th grade year and kept going on Zelda fan game development.

After that broke up I've pretty much kept to myself as far as my projects go. Not really going to far into completing a game, but learning several different concepts and more about programming languages. My sophomore year I took C++ for a full year, a semester of Visual Basic last year, and now I'm in AP Java this year. Most recently I've been more on web development and my website as well as coding a website for Chaotic Athletics (which totally bombed, by the way). Even more recent than that I started working on a project that I seriously want to go through with in XNA that I will reveal soon. ;]

As for why I got into development and games, it's pretty much because of playing video games. Ever since I was little I've known that game development is what I wanted to do. Not until a few years ago that I figured out what part the process I wanted to do. So yeah, that's basically my whole experience with game development. :)

I'm totally going to have to go back through and see if I have all my old shitty games and upload them here. xD
  • https://colbydude.com

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:47:53 pm »
  • b e p i s
My childhood was shaped by video games and books, especially Harry Potter and Redwall. The games that got me the most were the ones with elaborate worlds or long stories, such as Zelda and older Squaresoft RPGs. Naturally as a kid, I dreamed of one day creating my own. Ironically, an inability to is actually what got me into writing, but that's another story.

When I was 14 I started making levels for Unreal Tournament 2003 on my mom's work computer. It was a slow process, as I was young and had no prior game development experience. However, eventually my skills improved, and my levels became better received and started getting play on servers. One day I was on CliffyB's Ownage, a site from the head developer of UT2003 where he reviewed the best of the best maps in the user community. I noticed an advertisement from a group remaking Chrono Trigger in the UT2003 engine. CT was the first RPG I ever played as a childhood, so I applied in a heartbeat. To my overwhelming joy, I was accepted!

I worked with the CTRP team for around a year or so. However, we were all very young and inexperienced, so we didn't get too far before receiving a Cease and Desist order from Square-Enix. By that time, I had discovered ZFGC and really dug the fangame community. I continued making maps for a while, but soon after lost interest and decided to get into filmmaking.

I was 16 when I started making movies. Now I'm 21 and after several finished projects, I've decided to write full-time.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 05:03:28 pm »
I was about 12 when I first got into game design in general. It was through my discovery of the PS1 version of RPG Maker. I spent months playing that thing, and creating my own games. After awhile I really got tired of the RPG genre, though, and luckily at the same time found Game Maker.

I quickly started making my own little !@#$% games, attempting to create ideas I've had for the "Best games ever" and such. Soon I realized my ideas were impossible for a newbie programmer to make, so I turned to the Zelda universe. The series was always a favourite of mine (especially the 2D games) and it was much easier for me to create games in an already created world/setting. Plus I just plain thought it would be damn awesome to create my own Zelda game. lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 47 queries.

anything