Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Submission] Dinolfos  (Read 5479 times)

[Submission] Dinolfos
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:38:54 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
Name: Dinolfos

Appearance: A larger, burlier version of a Lizalfos.  Its skin is a darker shade of green, though most of it is covered in silver armor.  It has a single horn on its head and swapped one of its axes for a large shield.

Behavior:
The Dinolfos is much more threatening than its weaker cousin.  Its most basic attack is a 2-hit combo with its axe, dealing 1 HP per hit.  Unlike the Lizalfos’ attack, there is no window of vulnerability between the hits.  His other primary attack is a shield bash which deals 1 HP and pushes Link back a moderate distance.  This can be blocked, but only the damage is negated, not the knockback.

The Dinolfos has 2 “special” attacks.  The first is an unblockable ramming headbutt that carries it across the entire room, only stopping upon hitting Link or a wall.  This deals 2 HP knocks Link aside.  What makes the attack particularly dangerous is that it can adjust its angle of attack mid-charge, preventing Link from simply moving to the side.  Instead, Link has to roll out of the way when the Dinolfos nears him, causing the monster to crash into the wall and leaving him vulnerable for a good length of time.  Alternatively, Link can counter this attack by performing a rolling stab, canceling out the ram and knocking the Dinolfos back.  The attack also has a noticeable startup animation as the Dinolfos snorts and kicks the ground like a bull before charging.

Its other special attack is a mid-ranged fire-breath attack!  This is signaled by the Dinolfos inhaling for nearly a second.  The fire travels in a slightly wavy path and the attack lasts for about 2 seconds.  Being hit by the fire deals 1.5 HP and sets Link on fire.  This will burn the wooden shield.

Finally, like the Lizalfos, the Dinolfos can jump back a short distance, or to the sides.  It will do this whenever it completes an attack or takes damage, though if it is peparing its headbutt attack it will continue.

How to Defeat:
The Dinolfos has 5 HP.  When not attacking it will block all attacks using its shield.  The only way to damage it is to strike during the cooldown of its attacks, but if Link does not act quickly it will jump away to prevent a counter-attack.

Change log:
June 25: Updated ramming and fire-breath attacks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:09:37 am by HyperRidley »
Re: [Submission] Dinolfos
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Wow, I like this!  Especially that ramming attack!  If I may make a suggestion to it, maybe the player can also block that by using a rolling stab?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:20:10 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
Glad you like it! :)  Stopping the ram with a rolling stab sounds like a fun idea, it makes me think of rolling under Ganon in OoT xD.

EDIT: I went and added this to the ram's description, as well as a note about the fire-breath burning the wooden shield.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:11:29 am by HyperRidley »
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:22:43 pm »
I can't really find anything to nitpick on this, and the only reason I'm waiting on accepting is because it's submitted as a miniboss.  Just want to see what others post for mini bosses first :)

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:51:32 am »
It is an interesting mini-boss.

thestig

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:20:02 pm »
Would be sweet to have it do a tail-slap attack during a certain circumstance... Erm.. where exactly is the enemy's weakpoint at? What parts are protected(parts that cannot be harmed) and parts that aren't? I love this design completely, though. It seems fairly solid so far.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:21 pm »
I'd imagine it to be similar to OoT where you can just hit them anywhere.  But that's up to HR to decide :)

thestig

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »
I'd imagine it to be similar to OoT where you can just hit them anywhere.  But that's up to HR to decide :)
whut. You can't hit them anywhere.. only their tails?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:14 pm »
Ahh I might be thinking of the Lizafos then

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:43:24 am »
  • King of the hoard!
You can hurt this guy anywhere as long as he doesn't shield it.  The armor's there to make it more badass and serve as an explanation of why it has a ton more health than a regular ol' Lizalfos.  XD

Tail attack could be fun, I'll see what I can come up with.  :)
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I like him a lot too, and I'm partial to when mini bosses come back as regular enemies later in the game.

My only thing to pick on is that we've only got five Dungeons, we need really awesome bosses/mini bosses. There isn't much time to mess around with easy dudes, and I dunno, this guy seems on the level of a darknut. Not saying he isn't awesome, exquisitly designed and documented, but he just sounds like you could get him pretty fast.

Also, can we sort minibosses into a different subforum? It's a little pesky to go through, because we're not accepting them now, but we are accepting regular enemies.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
I think mini-bosses are better suited in the bosses board and have them tagged as "Mini-boss" instead of "Boss".
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:31:37 pm »
I'm gonna make a mini-boss section soon I think.  I'll move this and others over there when I do.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 59 queries.