Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attn: Software Engineering Division  (Read 1976 times)

Attn: Software Engineering Division
« on: June 08, 2011, 01:59:43 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Software engineering is to begin.  We can start by building up a basic Zelda engine, because we all know what basics are required in Zelda.  I'm going to ask that we start this we a 3-step process:

1. Requirements gathering - Gathering a list of what will be needed for the basic parts of the engine.  What it will need to do, what the player will be allowed to do, and what it will contain.  A set of rules.

2. Scenario Design and Charting - The scenarios will be derived from the requirements.  Scenario being what things can occur in the engine.  The player swings the sword, brings up the pause menu, interacts with an item, an enemy searches for the player etc.  These scenarios will be written out and then charted in a flow chart.

3. Class design - The classes will be derived from the scenarios.  Basically, any nouns from that are going to be considered a class.  Verbs associated with those nouns will be actions of the class.  Designing the classes will entail choosing what classes are needed and their members.

Since requirement gathering does not take long, I'm going to ask this be done within the week.  The same due date as Game Design Currently has, June 15.  A thread will be posted with further details.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:05:26 am by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Re: Attn: Software Engineering Division
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:35:53 am »
Are we going to branch off our own version of the Community Minish Cap engine, or start from scratch?

Nevermind, saw the poll topic.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:26:29 am by Colbydude »
  • https://colbydude.com

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:27:11 pm »
  • Xiphirx
The engine should feature the basic requirements for a Zelda game, movement, menus, items

I'd like it if we could implement some sort of scripting system that would handle the areas, add new items and handle cutscenes etc.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:51:43 am »
  • Minalien
As far as implementing a scripting solution, I could easily wire in a scripting wrapper should the development be done in C++ or C#. I personally prefer AngelScript, because it's very C++-like, but I've also got experience with implementing Lua and (though not as much) Squirrel.

All three are pretty powerful scripting solutions, and would make things much easier on the level designers and scripters (those who would otherwise be writing with Game Maker would be very comfortable with any of the three I mentioned, I believe). This is also something for everybody who would rather we not write it in C++/C# to consider- they would still have a place doing the game scripting, if they couldn't keep up with engine programming.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 45 queries.