Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delta Timing  (Read 911 times)

gm112

Delta Timing
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:11:10 pm »
For those of you who know what Delta Timing is, do you think it's really necessary for 2D games? I mean, I actually find it useful on older hardware that struggle to even render the graphics on the screen. /me points to my 500 mhz computer from 1999.

What's your opinion on it?
Re: Delta Timing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:15:12 pm »
Depends how intensive the game is. For the majority of simple rpg esq games you don't really need it, or can at least get away with other timing methods. But if you expect your fps to dip below or above your target then you should idealy do so.
Re: Delta Timing
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 12:15:29 am »
Depends how intensive the game is. For the majority of simple rpg esq games you don't really need it, or can at least get away with other timing methods. But if you expect your fps to dip below or above your target then you should idealy do so.

QFE.

If you're writing something in which all the hardware will be the same, it's not as essential. (EG, Consoles, Handhelds, Etc)

If you want to have your software play correctly on as much hardware as possible, it's basically required. Try playing quake (Frame based updating) on todays hardware. Runs as fast as you can render it. Means the game is incredibly fast on todays blazing processors. Play a game such as Unreal Tournament on todays hardware, runs just as smoothly as it did then.
  • My Myspace?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.7 seconds with 44 queries.

anything