Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] The Legend of Zelda: the Elemental Crystal  (Read 4641 times)

[DEMO] The Legend of Zelda: the Elemental Crysta...
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:39:34 pm »
this is a RPG (NO IT IS NOT TURN BASED!) style zelda game with the original GBC graphics...
There is no game story yet but when everything gets working i will get to the story in the end.

Wow, I have been modifying this game for over 4 years now...
Even though people say it's not a promising game I still work on it because I like it and I'm going to stick with that.
I work on this when I usually get the urge to after about 5 months and i work on it for about a week strait then get bored with it again, but that's what it's like working alone.

But seriously, I think this game has A LOT of potential, its looking better every time i modify it, but when it's just me working on it, it's a little more tough but i get through it eventually especially when i get stuck in coding.

P.S. My English has gotten better since the last time I posted here (please note I left school at 7th grade so my English really sucked)
--------------SIDE NOTE-----------------
I am open to suggestions and anyone willing to help, if there is anything that is extreme in the game experience let me know, I just want to get this on track because...I am almost running out of engine stuff to work on and I need a story and maps...
=============================

=============================
things included
Leveling system*works*
Stat System *stats are distributed for you when you level 100% works*
Fighting System*works*
Menu*works 99% sure of it*
items(Boomerang, roc's feather, roc's cape, slingshot, shovel*still pretty buggy*, magnetic gloves, Bow/arrows, bombs*dont hurt enemies yet or blow open walls so don't use them*,Seed Satchel*everything works exept the gale seeds*(Hookshot and seedshooter doesnt do anything yet) thats pretty much it
Equipment 13 different swords*you dont start out with any*,2 different Shields*you start out with none*, 5 different armor, 5 different accessories*you start out with them all*
Ingame text *buggy but works*

Progress
Leveling/stat system (98%) *could be a tinny bit unbalanced*
Battle system (87%)
maps(2% will be redoing all the maps soon)
movement(90%)
chests(100%)
story(0% need a story writer.)
graphics(75%)
sounds(52%)
items(61% need a spriter for the armor and shields)
music(100%)(NO LONGER +10MB, now its less then 200KB)
environment(46%)

*Update* Version 0.0062
To be honest, I have changed so much I don't even know where to start...accept for that i added screen scrolling in the dungeon, and the dungeon has been completely redone, HP Formula is LOW but balanced. The true max HP would be 200 but you start out with 8 and end with 123 at lv99, the music is no longer MP3, i use GSFs now and they work great. Exp pool is lower, stat pool is lower, i removed all HP bars from enemies, drew a gilded sword sprite from scratch.

---------------------------------------
--Info--
File download size 3MB
Screen size 160x144
does not change resolution
screen resizing and fullscreen is supported(The current source has a first time launcher and an ini file)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Download
***Download***(LOST SOURCE, BUT MORE AREA.) I have no idea how many bugs are in this one because this one was a test build but i lost the source after uploading this.
***NOTHING YET*** This is where the current source will be but I need to fix a couple things.

-------------Screen Shots (Need to make more)------------

----------------------------------------
-------Video (Somewhat out of date)------
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMf6D1blh7E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMf6D1blh7E</a>
--------------------------------
----Controls----
*YOU MUST HAVE FILTER AND STICKY KEYS OFF TO PLAY RIGHT*
Enter-to bring up the menu
Z/X-Items/Choose Accessories(Z to select Swords and Armor)(X to make ingame text instant)
Shift-Sword/Save at Savepoint(blue/green glowing spark)/change menus in the pause menu/Open Chests
CTRL-to use the shield
arrow keys-move/change selection in menu
------------------------------------------------
This is the home page for the game it has more description on the game
Home Page
Forums
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:36:21 pm by gotest »

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
Re: [DEMO] *UPDATED* The Legend of Zelda: the El...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:41:40 am »
Pretty exciting, I think. You've got most the monsters down (except the skulls who should jump), and I saw no graphical glitches. I did encounter a few bugs, which I post towards the end of my post, but first: a few things I noticed in my playthroughs.

Firstly, some monster instances need to be disabled when they're not on the screen, like the witches that shoot at you right when the game starts. ;) I found my self constantly trying to dodge random fire with no sight of where it's coming from. IMO, the player should always be aware of what's shooting -- It gives the player a goal.

"Okay, these things are shooting at me. If I destroy them, then the shooting stops too!" -- You know? I don't think this is intentional, by the way. I do think it should be adjusted. Doing this will also increase the frame rate, providing smoother game play.

Next point, some monsters shoot too much. I'm eyeing the octorok here. One shot two pellets at the same time! Tone it down some, will ya! >_< These guys are supposed to be push-overs. :P Balancing the enemies helps balance the learning/difficulty curve. Also, the enemy placement feels a tad random, but I don't know if this is just a "test level" or what, so I'll drop that.

Third -- there's too much stuff on the screen at any given time. Link has two HP/Magic bars! One that sits camaflouged in the upper part of the screen, and one that's always following him around, which gets in the way at times. I say remove the one following the player, and resprite the bar in the corner, so it stands out a bit more.

The enemy's HP bars also clutter up the screen, and it becomes even worse when they bunch up on each other (first cave with the sword). I suggest hiding the guage until they are hit, or drop the bar all together, using only numbers to tell the player how much damage was done. Sooner or later, players will start noticing how much damage it takes to bring a monster down.

Bugs:
- [Frequent] When opening a chest, Link will sometimes swing his sword before the textbox appears. After the interruption, the sword starts charging until the user presses and releases the sword key (which I think should NOT be shift, btw. :P)

- [Frequent] When respawning from falling down the hole, Link will often get stuck on the edge of the hole, unable to move despite the user pressing the appropriate keys. Continuing the game after being killed while stuck on the edge of the hole restarts the user at the same position -- Still unable to move -- thus placing this bug under "Game Killer". (Dun-dun-duuuuuun!)

That's all I have, right now.

Edit - Hey, 100 posts!
Re: [DEMO] *UPDATED* The Legend of Zelda: the El...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:45:49 pm »
hmm first of all the holes have been fixed in the latest version as far as i can see and i will remove the bars under link (they sorta get in my way too >.<) and i dont know why you said theres wizrobes at the begining of the game because there not supposed to be... anyways i have been working on another version and im getting a story going sorta but i still need a story writer =/ on the other hand the new version will have more objects in the first test dungeon
-----
color blocks(you can stand on them if you switch the orb if standing on them)
beamos
deepwater underwater mode
resources updated
and more

and the maps wont always be this big to things wont go off screen because all the maps are going to be redone later on
UPDATING THE GAME
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:28:10 am »
I've just updated the game, I really didn't want to do this yet but I want this game to get SOME recognition.

Too many changes to say but i'll list the obvious ones:
-Screen scrolling
-Completely redone dungeon 1 (very basic but i'll finish it...BUT! i could use some help with maps)
-HP pool is lower (start with 8 end with 123 (171 after collecting every heart container and heart piece))
-EXP pool is lower

Please note that i am aware of the occasional bug when you die and being placed in stuck places, i think i know whats causing it but it will take some time to fix.

***DOWNLOAD*** 3MB
Re: [DEMO] The Legend of Zelda: the Elemental Cr...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:48:11 pm »
Your project has promise.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 47 queries.