Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FrozenFire's 3D Graphics Dev Den  (Read 5165 times)

FrozenFire's 3D Graphics Dev Den
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:44:27 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
About

Every once in a while, I do some low poly 3D modeling. So when stuff like that happens, I throw it in this place.

Some day, I hope to use the experience I get in doing this to make a low poly 3D RPG. Because of this, most - if not all - of my work will be low poly and it will tend toward fantasy and RPG style stuff.

Feel free to comment or crit.

06/19/2014:

_-_ Some low poly and low res Zelda _-_

06/21/2013:

Trying some hair for the latest head model
Show content

After putting hair on the latest head model, it's become clear that I need to take some more time to think about how I want to do hair, especially since I'm working towards making something that allows a user to create highly-customizable hairstyles. Since this is just yet another step, the entire thing will likely go through some more changes. If you look at previous heads, you can see that things are always changing, but the reason for that is because of what my goal is, which is a type of customization and animation that I have never seen in any video game (it's a bit unorthodox), and that means a lot of trial and error as I figure out what will work best.

06/18/2013:

New head + testing shading
Show content

With previous heads, I had used eyes that I found on Google, but I had to do that because I sucked so hard at everything 3D, but now I've finally learned enough about proportions, edge flow, UV mapping, and stuff like that, so I no longer need to use other graphics. Yay for less 3D noobishness! Actually, what you see in the above model is basically scaled down graphics from an anime girl's head that I drew a while ago:

Of course, the 2D drawing has some problems and it wasn't completed, but she is serving as a reference for my tests on this new head model I've made.
The model is very low poly, with only 84 tris (this includes the nose, ears, and neck). The resolution of the texture is also very low (and a bit sloppy due to a quick scale-down), but that is temporary; I have found it to be a lot easier to do the tests with a low res texture. I will increase the res in time. Besides, I don't need to increase the res much more anyway, since this model is planned to be used at a pretty far distance for the most part (high res textures at far distances will usually look awful), which is also the reason for the low poly count. And the great thing about having a low poly model is that I already have the basic shape, so I can always create higher poly versions if I need to.

Just to show you a bit of what I mean about distance vs. texture res and poly count:

03/17/2013:

_-_ OoT/MM Zelda-style Chest WIP _-_
Show content

I have the top part as well, it's just not textured. Also, the top half will swing up from the bottom half when it opens, and Game Maker does not support vertex animation, so I will be keeping the chest model in two parts instead of on one model anyway.... yeah, I know, having no vertex animation is pretty crazy stuff. If only Game Maker got vertex animation and some proper shaders (shaders are at least said to be coming soon). It would make a world of difference.

_-_ Link head WIP/conceptual _-_
Show content

Eyes are not mine; they were found on Google and are temporarily being used for conceptual purposes. The hair was obviously sloppily drawn on. I was trying to get an idea of how things would look. I understand it is extremely sloppy. Actually, I decided to try another head style, so I may not even continue with this one.

10/25/2012:

VERY early head WIP model
Show content
(DELETED, because of imageshack changing policies and stuff like that; this was one of the pics that was on my imageshack account)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:06:43 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
Re: 3D WIP Graphics (For my indie RPG)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:36:43 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Wow.  Can't believe I didn't see this until now.  That looks really nice!  Well improved, though I might suggest keeping the skin tone a little more tan like it is in the first pic.  Just an opinion though...
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:44:56 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Wow.  Can't believe I didn't see this until now.  That looks really nice!  Well improved, though I might suggest keeping the skin tone a little more tan like it is in the first pic.  Just an opinion though...
Yeah, the face is pale because there is no shading on it yet. I'm still working a few things out on it before I really get into the texturing because I'm really picky and I'm not entirely happy with it. Plus, it needs ears and a neck (it's a base model, so things like hair are separate). I'm hoping to have the head mesh completed by the end of the week. The head is definitely one of the most difficult things to model well, as character faces are usually focused on a lot, which is why I'm taking my sweet time on it. ;)

In the mean time, I did a Game Maker test with a model of Ikachan that I made in about 45 minutes:
Show content

I don't expect anyone to know what Ikachan is, but that's fine. Not exactly graphics for my game, unless I do an Ikachan cameo, which is somewhat probable...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:22:00 am by Frozenç‚Ž »
  • My Music
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:15:13 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Looks nice! Also, Ikachan (Pixel games ftw)!
  • Lionfish Apps
Re: 3D WIP Graphics (For my indie RPG and variou...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:37:03 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Got a new head model I'm working on:

Based off of an old and incomplete 2D anime character I drew:

There is more info in the first post if you are interested in checking it out.

At the moment, I am figuring out how I want to draw the shadows on the head. The ears are making it a tad bit tricky, because I want them to be properly seen from all angles. I'm going for a certain clean anime look that does not make use of outlines. Once I decide how the shadows should look on the head, I will begin testing out some hair, and with that, I'll make a complete female head. After that, I'll see about making a complete male head using the same mesh (magical textures!).
  • My Music
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 04:33:48 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Hah, I thought I was going to continue with my old green-eyed girl concept, but I ended up going with a blue-eyed pink-haired girl (both have pink hair... guess it seems anime?). It really doesn't matter at this point if I work toward making a specific character though, since I'm really not trying to create a certain character. My goal is to create a character creation tool, in which I will be able to create all of my characters. This way of going about creating characters makes things hella slow for the time being, because there are SOOO many variables to consider. But it will seriously pay off in the end, as long as I can pull off what I'm shooting for.

I figured out how to do the shading, got it to look just fine, so I moved on to messing with hair:

After doing this, I see some ways to simplify things. I ended up using far too many polys for this, due to making the hair go around the ears and stuff, but I've got an idea to make the ears part of the hair mesh rather than part of the head. I'm having the head and hair separate because of plans for customizations. If I wasn't planning on having customizable hair, I would've had a head completed and looking great by now, but that would defeat the purpose of my goal. So... expect me to be stuck on hair for a while, ha ha. ^w^

Looking forward, it seems pretty obvious that the hair will end up being the most complex part of the head. The eyes and mouth will be animated simply by real-time texture modifications, but that won't cut it for hair animation. Instead, the hair is going to get some minor physics, and with the level of hair customization planned, I'm expecting to have a rough time on it. Determination! >:(
  • My Music
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:26:34 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"

"Run and jump, headless ice man! You're in the pink! Run and jump! Yes! Go frolicking! Frolic!" For some reason, this seems edible. Doesn't it look edible? Like candy? (This is a random, stupid. and completely unnecessary sanity test. A normal person's reaction to this should be "WTF??" :huh:)

Lately, I've been messing around with low poly body design. The bodies won't need to have a high poly count because of how far away the camera is going to be for the projects I plan to use them in, not to mention I ended up going with a cute - yet totally badass - chibi look, which tends to make the body quite small compared to the head.

I'll just throw this in here too:

I'll probably have some more Cave Story stuff in the near future, but after that I expect to have some more Zelda stuff, or maybe some original stuff first... eh, we'll just see how it goes.
  • My Music

Koh

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:30 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Models are definitely looking superb here =).  You even made the floppy disk look well enough with a low amount of polygons x3.  If anything, I'd suggest doing more original work; fan work is nice and all, but how about allowing us to see what's joggin' in your noggin' =3?
  • Megaclipse Games
Re: FrozenFire's 3D Graphics Dev Den
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 04:36:51 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Wow, almost an entire year of silence here. Didn't realize I took such a long break from 3D modeling. Anyway, made some new stuff.

Believe it or not, doing low poly along with low res actually takes some learning to pull off well. It kind of forces you to do UV mapping and texturing super correctly. If you don't, the pixels will not line up or look consistent in shape and it will screw things up. This kind of thing is less noticeable in textures of higher pixel density.

I should note that both objects are part of the same project, but the texture on the tree is far from complete (I'll probably make a new tree, actually). The tree looks small here, but the pixel density on both Link and the tree are the same, so if you look at the pixel density on the tree, it reveals that it's actually going to be 4 times the height of Link.

I'm now working on giving Link a head, because you simply can't make heroic choices with no head... cuz you'd totally be dead. But yeah, it'll basically look like a 3D version of the Link sprites I added in to the incomplete Link model pic. Except the ears are a little too long in the Link sprites and I might give Link a mouth on the model.
  • My Music
Re: FrozenFire's 3D Graphics Dev Den
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 06:29:37 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Link is no longer headless... now he's bald! Honestly, I'm not sure which is more favorable. XD

The mouth is probably too bright of a red and ears are a bit funky and need fixing. I need to refresh myself on elf-like ears, I guess. But besides that, I think it's really looking the way I envisioned. I might give him long white sleeves and make some other design changes though.

The size I'm showing is way bigger than it's supposed to be. That's why I made the smaller ones in the middle of the pic, to give a better idea of actual in-game size.
I might double the texture res because I noticed that the eye spacing looked much better on the offset pixel, so I could fix it if I doubled the res. Also, doubling the res seems like it would make it look real nice while still maintaining my desired art style. I'll have to screw around with it a bit more to see what I like best.

Anyway, now it's pretty much just hair and hat that are needed, then on to some attempts at animating him.
  • My Music
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 57 queries.

anything