Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Pixel Art  (Read 1532 times)

Second Pixel Art
« on: August 13, 2006, 11:23:40 pm »
  • n___n
I posted my first attempt, recieved criticism (at another forum, that is) and so, this is my second attempt at pixel art!

First attempt: http://pixel-arts.org/pixelopolis/index.php?topic=1750.0

This time:

So, gimme some GOOD GODDAMN C+C like the guys at THAT forum do.
yo yo yo

araknid_kid@yahoo.com = email and MSN
HellsExecutionR = AIM
araknidude = XBox Live gamertag
Re: Second Pixel Art
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 11:58:02 pm »
It needs quite a bit of work. I don't know where to start.  You need more contrast in the colors, you have 3 shades for the highlighted area of the head, you could get away with only one of them. Then I suggest getting rid of the dithering. So much dithering just doesn't work very well in one picture.  You could also clean those lines up so they are not so jagged. It's hard to crit a piece like this :S. Just put some more work into it and repost what you come up with ;)

Try using less saturated colors, and more contrast. Try doing a more dramatic piece, one that is not so subtle. Maybe try coloring someone elses lineart in the topic "Lineart Exchange" on those forums.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:19:31 am »
hmm.. i do say.. he is too big for the amount of details..
I also agree with .Image, hmm I also saw you added shadow near the eyes. <.<
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 06:09:24 am »
clean up the lineart quite a bit (jagged lines != good), up the contrast, eliminate some shades (way more than is necessary), and make sure that you're sure where your light source is when you're shading. It's lower lip is shaded when to me it looks like it's sticking out above the upper lip, and should therefore have a minor highlight if anything. I also suggest toning down the dithering and perhaps adding some AA, especially on the lip. Also try using less saturated colors and try to start grasping the concept of color conservation; if you can get the right shades of blues and greens, you could probably use some skin tones as colors on the shirt, or vice versa.

But most of all, araknidkid: keep at it.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:09 pm »
  • n___n
clean up the lineart quite a bit (jagged lines != good), up the contrast, eliminate some shades (way more than is necessary), and make sure that you're sure where your light source is when you're shading. It's lower lip is shaded when to me it looks like it's sticking out above the upper lip, and should therefore have a minor highlight if anything. I also suggest toning down the dithering and perhaps adding some AA, especially on the lip. Also try using less saturated colors and try to start grasping the concept of color conservation; if you can get the right shades of blues and greens, you could probably use some skin tones as colors on the shirt, or vice versa.

But most of all, araknidkid: keep at it.

Thanks, I'll definately keep these criticisms in mind as I work on the next peice.

I have trouble with anti aliasing though. I don't want to redo my lineart because I want it to look crisp on the outside. And on the inside, are you referring to AA-ing between shadows or the lineart itself? Cuz I have trouble with that. :(
yo yo yo

araknid_kid@yahoo.com = email and MSN
HellsExecutionR = AIM
araknidude = XBox Live gamertag
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 06:49:52 pm »
You want some C+C! You bet you want some C+C! WAIT FOR THE C+B = CB + 43569 = CB43569! w00t!
It looks very awesome, however the shading is pretty crap. It looks like a mix between pillow shading and diffusion, which gives it an inconsistent look. The bottom left part of his belly looks rather square and should be smoothed out. The single hair on top looks fine against the white but against a real background it'd look pretty week, for how about giving it a thin outline and a darker colour?
And... well, that's it. Quite the perfectionist, you are...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 50 queries.