Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proposal: Spoils bag  (Read 5939 times)

Proposal: Spoils bag
« on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:18 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I'm realizing how many different things the player is going to be able to collect.  Chu jelly, seashells etc - things that would be infeasible to store in a bottle (especially chu jelly considering the requirements to create some of the more complex potions).  I'm proposing we have a separate subscreen in the pause menu for these items.  Thoughts?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Miles07

Knight of ERA
Re: Proposal: Spoils bag
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Since The Wind Waker was the only official Zelda game to use a Spoils Bag item as such (all the other games, spoils were just stored in Link's Bag of Holding), I have to say this about the idea: Adding a Spoils Bag would be like a line of demarcation; Link cannot collect (or enemies cannot drop?) spoils until after he obtains this bag.

The alternative is to have Link always have a spot for spoils in his bag, but that would make it like any other Zelda game.

Thoughts?
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 11:12:57 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Yeah. I think that demarcation, where you can't have spoils until some event, isn't advantageous, it doesn't add anything to the game. I didn't ever really like the spoils bag in Wind Waker. It wasn't bad, it just didn't add anything. It's not like Link is carrying around a hammer, a shield, a giant Deku leaf, a hookshot, a bow, etc. and then he's like, oh a feather from a Kargaroc? Where am I going to keep this!? With your other stuff, obviously.

Anyway, in organizing these items into the menu, I think something we should straighten out is how these items are consumed. Can you assign a green chu chu jelly to a button? Or any other spoil? Would that serve a purpose? I think the purpose of the spoils bag was because you could assign the spoils to a button like you could the bow or hookshot.

For the enemy drops as far as I know (chu chu jelly, Poe souls, potentially seashells?), there isn't any point to making them usable of the player's own volition. So I think that the only way they can be used is prompted. If you're talking to the potion shop owner, he'll prompt you to give him chu chu jelly. It doesn't really need to be assigned to an item button.

This is an important distinction because it means we don't have to put these items on the item selection screen of the menu. We could keep their quantities listed is a section of the quest status screen, where heart container completion percentage, flippers, etc. are shown. Or even its own page or popup box (basically the spoils bag system, but not assignable to buttons), because we seem to have a lot of different colors of chu chu jelly.

Lol, I feel like my science writing classes came out in this post. Tl;dr version: we should have the enemy drop items like this just listed as quantities on the quest status subscreen. Or maybe their own subscreen. Like,
Poe Souls: 6
Green Chu Chu Jelly: 2
Red Chu Chu Jelly: 4
Etc.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:49:35 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Or maybe their own subscreen. Like,

This is basically what I was thinking.  The spoils bag would just be something you get from the beginning that explains the subscreen from a game world perspective.  Basically, I'm trying to figure out the best way to display these items on the pause menu.  Basically I realized that bottles are insufficient for some of these items.  Chu jelly for ex, because some potions require as many ingredients as there are bottles.  Although this DOES place a limit on the more powerful ones like the sexy potion (you can only carry one at a time if we have 4 bottles), which does act as an automatic balance.  On the other hand, it also completely axes the player from those potions if they dont have enough bottles.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:46:01 am »
  • It's just Max.
Yeah, I also noticed it'd be an automatic balance like that, which seemed like a good idea until I thought we might want something else to be carried in bottles (other potions, Poe souls, etc.), which would just be annoying if you had to empty all your bottles whenever you wanted a sexy potion, or if the plot (or a sidequest) required you to do something like carry water to grow a plant or something, you couldn't without getting rid of all the ingredients you'd collected for your potion.

Having 6 or 8 bottles would mitigate this problem, but severely limit things like "collect more than 5 of this item."

If we want to limit sexy potions, there are other ways. Like, once you have one or two the potion shop dude claims he doesn't have the wherewithal to make any more right now. Like, he could say he needs to collect some more octorock suckers or lemongrass. Or he says the cauldron is preheating. Or he could literally just say "I don't have the wherewithal to make another one of those right now." Which I think would be freaking hilarious, because of his personality.

But yeah, agreed. A "spoils" section of the subscreen is dandy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 48 queries.

anything