Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 462290 times)

Re: Alttp - Horn of Balance [DEMO 22 out]
« Reply #1340 on: June 17, 2020, 08:24:44 pm »
Oke, I'll remove it from the list for now then.

Also issue 13 and 22 now also solved.
Show content
1. Overworld, 1 screen south of Home Sweet Home. The octoroks are apparently loaded into memory upon entering the "room", which means they'll start shooting around. This produces some UX issues like hearing a bush get destroyed or a rock hitting a wall, even off-screen.
2. Jumping off a ledge while the sword is extended, returns the sword to sheath. If you want to mimic ALTTP, this isn't how ALLTP behaves.
3. Regarding Bomb and Arrow capacity upgrades, should the messages be different if the player hasn't collected the Bombs or Bow (or even Arrow) items yet?
4. Underwater Prison, two chests have the same "opened" flag. The chest in Florine's cell, and the one to the east of the first big room (the chest in the lower pit where you have to push the columns to reveal stairs). Both have triple bombs in them, but opening one will open the other and make it impossible to mark completed. The other will show up as an unopened chest on the map + compass.
5. Underwater Prison, after you use Florine to hit the two switches simultaneously, and after she escapes, after you defeat Moldorm and reenter that room from the doorway that that third button opens, Florine appears there again, standing on the upper button.
6. Underwater Prison (and possibly others), going through a door while walking on a grate will still have the sfx of walking on a grate as Link transitions through the doorway into the next room.
7. Would be nice to have, but not required: some timer or meter or gauge to show how much diving time Link has before he has to come up for air.
9. Unsure what's the trigger, but visiting the cave leading to the Soldier Shrine after collecting at least one ring(?) will have the pot button puzzle solved. I never did this puzzle the right way.
11. Soldier Tombs, floor B1, the pit room to the west. There's one section with Medusas and a single staircase. I tried throwing a bomb across a gap to kill one of the Medusas, and the bomb clipped through the staircase and stayed on the same Z-axis level as Link. Arrows collide correctly with the staircase, Bombs do not.
12. Soldier Tombs, I lit all four torches, then backtracked to the dungeon entrance to enter the hidden staircase. Only three of the torches were lit, and the staircase was covered. I saved and quit, reentered the dungeon, and all four torches were lit, and the staircase was uncovered. Only happens occasionally. Maybe it's dependent on torch order?
20. Heimgartner Manor: entering the Main Library from the courtyard will have Link clip-transition through a locked door. Might be in conflict with behavior of how Link otherwise enters a building from "outside".
21. Heimgartner Manor: same as above, just with the locked door leading to / the open door leading from the Main Library to the entrance hall. Link clips through the locked door.
23. Heimgartner Manor, 2F, east hall: Hitting a crystal switch with a L.2 Sword and fully healed, will cause two hits to register instead of one, like how ALTTP does it.
26. Heimgartner Manor, 2F, east hall: Unable to traverse the top portion of the room. I can get the key with a good boomerang shot, though.
« Reply #1341 on: June 18, 2020, 08:20:35 pm »
Also, starting the Boss Key chart album for the dungeon designs. Let me know if something doesn't seem right, and I'll take a look at it.

https://imgur.com/a/G8nC4L4

Those must have taken you a while to make.

I didn't even realise I messed up with the mansion keys there, so they've already been proven to be usefull. Thanks.
I'll also keep these on hand for when I eventually have to simplify the early areas for an actual difficulty curve.

===

And the buglist is slowly nearing single digits now. 11 more to go:
Show content
1. Overworld, 1 screen south of Home Sweet Home. The octoroks are apparently loaded into memory upon entering the "room", which means they'll start shooting around. This produces some UX issues like hearing a bush get destroyed or a rock hitting a wall, even off-screen.
2. Jumping off a ledge while the sword is extended, returns the sword to sheath. If you want to mimic ALTTP, this isn't how ALLTP behaves.
3. Regarding Bomb and Arrow capacity upgrades, should the messages be different if the player hasn't collected the Bombs or Bow (or even Arrow) items yet?
4. Underwater Prison, two chests have the same "opened" flag. The chest in Florine's cell, and the one to the east of the first big room (the chest in the lower pit where you have to push the columns to reveal stairs). Both have triple bombs in them, but opening one will open the other and make it impossible to mark completed. The other will show up as an unopened chest on the map + compass.
5. Underwater Prison, after you use Florine to hit the two switches simultaneously, and after she escapes, after you defeat Moldorm and reenter that room from the doorway that that third button opens, Florine appears there again, standing on the upper button.
6. Underwater Prison (and possibly others), going through a door while walking on a grate will still have the sfx of walking on a grate as Link transitions through the doorway into the next room.
7. Would be nice to have, but not required: some timer or meter or gauge to show how much diving time Link has before he has to come up for air.
9. Unsure what's the trigger, but visiting the cave leading to the Soldier Shrine after collecting at least one ring(?) will have the pot button puzzle solved. I never did this puzzle the right way.
11. Soldier Tombs, floor B1, the pit room to the west. There's one section with Medusas and a single staircase. I tried throwing a bomb across a gap to kill one of the Medusas, and the bomb clipped through the staircase and stayed on the same Z-axis level as Link. Arrows collide correctly with the staircase, Bombs do not.
12. Soldier Tombs, I lit all four torches, then backtracked to the dungeon entrance to enter the hidden staircase. Only three of the torches were lit, and the staircase was covered. I saved and quit, reentered the dungeon, and all four torches were lit, and the staircase was uncovered. Only happens occasionally. Maybe it's dependent on torch order?
23. Heimgartner Manor, 2F, east hall: Hitting a crystal switch with a L.2 Sword and fully healed, will cause two hits to register instead of one, like how ALTTP does it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:25:54 pm by Martijn dh »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1342 on: June 18, 2020, 09:48:08 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Also, starting the Boss Key chart album for the dungeon designs. Let me know if something doesn't seem right, and I'll take a look at it.

Those must have taken you a while to make.

I didn't even realise I messed up with the mansion keys there, so they've already been proven to be usefull. Thanks.
I'll also keep these on hand for when I eventually have to simplify the early areas for an actual difficulty curve.

For how many times the game died on me and became unreloadable, it didn't take too long.
I'll update the charts with each future demo, as best as I can. Is there any additional information missing or that needs special emphasis on these charts, to help you out?
I know the album is missing a few dungeons, I just... haven't been able to get to them because of those particular issues.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:52:15 pm by Miles07 »
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #1343 on: June 19, 2020, 06:31:21 am »
Is there any additional information missing or that needs special emphasis on these charts, to help you out?

The only thing would be to make the charts a little more compact.
You're showing the powder and lamp as separate paths for lighting a torch. Maybe those can be combined into a single route. Later charts will really balloon otherwise, as you get to the firerod, bombos medallion and cane of somaria. Same applies (to a lesser extent) for the boots and bombs.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1344 on: June 19, 2020, 06:43:00 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Okay, I'll find some way to standardize those abilities.

One for "lighting a torch on fire". (Lantern, Toadstool?, Magic Powder, Fire Rod, Bombos, Cane of Somaria)
One for "busting down a wall". (Bombs, Pegasus Boots)
One for "hitting something from a distance". (Boomerang, Bow, Bombs, L.2 Sword, Cane of Somaria, Fire Rod, Hookshot)

Any missing?
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

« Reply #1345 on: June 19, 2020, 07:01:48 am »
Okay, I'll find some way to standardize those abilities.

One for "lighting a torch on fire". (Lantern, Toadstool?, Magic Powder, Fire Rod, Bombos, Cane of Somaria)
One for "busting down a wall". (Bombs, Pegasus Boots)
One for "hitting something from a distance". (Boomerang, Bow, Bombs, L.2 Sword, Cane of Somaria, Fire Rod, Hookshot)

Any missing?

Well, not to make it more complex, but there are cases where you can only lite all torches with the cane or bombos. And where you can only hit something from a distance with half the items.

Hmm. Well, maybe it's better to just wait and see if it becomes a problem like this. With the rate I'm going it'll be a while before more dungeons get finished.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1346 on: June 19, 2020, 07:58:51 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I'll definitely condense the obstacles based on what each item can unlock (breakable walls, torches, and switches from a distance). I'll wait for the next demo so I can redo the manor chart based on your layout fixes.

« Reply #1347 on: June 19, 2020, 01:25:01 pm »
I haven't been able to reproduce issue 12, but I added some extra failsafes so it *should* be solved now.

8 5 4 more to go:
Show content
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:20:36 pm by Martijn dh »
Re: Alttp - Horn of Balance
« Reply #1348 on: June 21, 2020, 06:29:04 pm »
The last 4 issues I'm leaving be for now. [1],[2],[7] I'll consider after the next demo. [9] I couldn't reproduce. So here is the new demo.

Download
Demo version: 0.22.55
File Size: 19,69 MB (Zipped)
Screen Resolution: 320 x 240 (Changable)
Download (Mediafire): https://www.mediafire.com/file/0tpy8yq0x2libmp/Zelda_0_22_55_%28public_demo%29.zip/file

Latest progress
Code: [Select]
0.22.50 (15 juni 2020)
* Character idle counter now gets reset when the shield blocks projectiles
* Changed “health bar”: You only have full hearts when undamaged and your remaining last heart is worth slightly more than the rest.

0.22.51 (16 juni 2020)
* Fixed loading errors after saving when first entering in the gauntlet mini-dungeon
* Fixed running sequences stopping when using arrow keys while in the item menu or textboxes
* Adjusted text for buying the red tunic
* Fixed hookshot going on endlessly when colliding with something off screen twice
* Fixed depth of stairs to the desert palace kitchen
* Fixed masking issue in desert south entrance to west basement
* Tweaked text for host of dark world chest game
* Fixed text when getting single rupee from chest
* Fixed being able to rebuy red tunic

0.22.52 (17 juni 2020)
* Fixed statue text in dungeon 1 boss room
* Fixed main staircase masking in mansion dungeon

0.22.53 (18 juni 2020)
* Improved conditional wall conditions on tight side of mansion F2
* Fixed mansion order slightly so you can't potentially lock yourself out of keys

0.22.54 (19 juni 2020)
* Add secret sound when cutting curtains to reveal a doorway
* Adjusted bomb masking
* Added short invincibility timer to hitswitches
* Altered collisions between thrown containers and staircases
* Added some failsafes to the lights in the true entrance room of the soldier tombs
* Fixed chest in central jail in the prison dungeon
* Adjusted text when collecting bomb/arrow carry capacity before getting the bombs/bow.
* Fixed walking sounds during screen transitions when only starting walking on metal grates.
* Fixed florine reappearing at her last location in the underground prison dungeon

0.22.55 (20 juni 2020)
* Made more progress on tiling mining town dungeon

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1349 on: June 22, 2020, 09:22:05 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Updated album... I was able to actually complete the demo this time!

New bugs:
Show content
29. Desert Palace, B1. When entering the kitchen, the doorway back towards the cellar will not work.
30. Heimgartner Manor. Sword Beams are deflected by Soldier's swords. Also, using Pegasus Boots and trying to attack a Soldier makes Link bounce off the Soldier's sword if it hits Link's sword.
31. Heimgartner Manor, Big Chest room. The "puzzle solved" jingle sounds, but I cannot see any reason why. Just for going through the doorway?
32. The Gauntlet. Red Eyegores (Arrows only) can sometimes get stuck in the environment when they round a corner to chase Link.
33. Darkworld, the mining town area. Picking up the Piece of Heart from the chest in the ruined house, the Piece of Heart appears underneath the roof graphic layer.
34. Dual Tower, enemy turret that shoots fireballs when Link swings his sword. Doesn't shoot if half of the sprite is off-screen.
35. Waterworks, I can't get past the room with the Fire Rod. Are those areas meant to be accessible?
36. Dual Tower sequence. If I haven't gone to the Waterworks to find the Mirror, I wouldn't be able to escape the area once I'm transported to the Darkworld after the first Florine battle. Otherwise, I'm able to make my way here without it. Maybe the two-way warp in the area isn't a good idea to have? Still, there needs to be some way for the player to know to use the Mirror at a specific location in order to progress.
37. Darkworld, outside area where Cave of Adventure is in the Overworld. There is a sign I can't interact with. Intentional?

« Reply #1350 on: June 22, 2020, 03:40:18 pm »
Talk about record time.

Regarding [36]:
If you did not collect the mirror in the light world then the first chest in the dark world will contain it instead (rather then some rupees). A trick copied from the lamp location in the original. But I get what you're saying. Just in case.

Note that you access the tower via purple tunic+hammer, purple tunic+hookshot or hammer+hookshot.

As for the rest: I'll take a look at fixing the issues in the coming days.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:19:55 pm by Martijn dh »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1351 on: June 22, 2020, 06:09:22 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Note that you access the tower via purple tunic+hammer, purple tunic+hookshot or hammer+hookshot.
Ah, yeah you're right. I've revised the appropriate charts to factor in some routes to the tower.

« Reply #1352 on: June 23, 2020, 08:46:19 pm »
Fixed 29, 31, 34, 35 and 37.

With regard to number 30 I get your point, but don't really consider it an issue. More of a happy accident I decided to leave in. (Though I may reconsider this when I add in the remaining humanoid enemies - and will thus have to review their AI again anyway). My reasoning currently: the boots are pretty overpowered already and this adds a little more strategy to handling soldiers. And historically, in the Zelda series, they are designed to entice/require attacks from the side and in the back.

With regard to number 33, I left it that way because I thought it would look more silly if an item was displayed over everything else without seeing link. It would be closer to the original and functional like that, but I the current situation more realistic (=more consistent with the world) and it's acceptable for "smaller" items with text for now. Though I might change if it ever involves chests with unique contents or without text (like a key or something).

The remaining number 32 and 36 I'll work on next.

===

While I'm at it might as well show the recent (visual) progress on the mining town as an attachment.
« Reply #1353 on: July 05, 2020, 11:53:54 am »
And here is the newest demo:
- A warppoint has been added in front of the dark world tower
- The eyegore AI seems to work intended (during my testing, at least). They may look like the have gotten stuck (due to the sprite being slightly larger then the masking), but the thing is that they will simply try to walk the shortest distance (=horizontal or vertical) to you. I've got some idea's on how this can be improved, but for now I'd rather focus on the new dungeon.

Download
Demo version: 0.22.59
File Size: 19,70 MB (Zipped)
Screen Resolution: 320 x 240 (Changable)
Download (Mediafire): https://www.mediafire.com/file/2qm76cpqwc5pivl/Zelda_0_22_59_%28public_demo%29.zip/file
Download (Dropbox): https://www.dropbox.com/s/jic1qxcall250ye/Zelda%200%2022%2059%20%28public%20demo%29.zip?dl=0

----
Full progress report:
Code: [Select]
0.22.56 (23 juni 2020)
* Fixed doorway (depth)issue in desert kitchen area
* Fixed secret sound in master chest room in mansion
* Removed unaccessable room from sewers map
* Added missing sign to dark world area near ice caverns dungeon
* Edited trickbox / medusa enemy AI near screen borders

0.22.57 (28 juni 2020)
* Made more progress on tiling the new mines dungeon
* Added more breakable wall sprites
* Expanded cave tileset
* Simplified creation coding for objects to let you fall to another room a little more

0.22.58 (4 juli 2020)
* Expanded DW mountain tilesets

0.22.59 (5 juli 2020)
* Added warp back in front of the Dark world tower

Also check the attachment for the latest tiling progress.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1354 on: July 06, 2020, 06:39:11 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Returning issue:

Show content

New issues:

Show content
38. Underwater Prison. Double-check Florine's dialogue for grammar mistakes.
39. Heimgartner Manor. Pegasus Boot running through Rabbit Beam in the courtyard.
40. Darkworld / Overworld, area outside of Ice Cavern. I don't know how to solve the puzzle with the two buttons in the Overworld version of this area. Is it currently stubbed?
41. Goriyas mimic a reflection of Link's movement, right? In Graveyard Cathedral's first room, there's a triplet of Goriyas. I walk Link towards against wall and the Goriyas will walk in the same direction Link is moving, until Link begins his pushing animation. Then the Goriyas will stop.
42. Northern Mine, first Helmasaurus King battle. Sometimes the music doesn't end until you leave the room.
43. Godessess Shrine. Check spelling of dungeon and text for Golden Armor.

« Reply #1355 on: July 06, 2020, 07:04:43 am »
I'll see what I can do during the week. Some followup questions for now:

Show content

What dungeon/item order did you progress through?

Show content
40. Darkworld / Overworld, area outside of Ice Cavern. I don't know how to solve the puzzle with the two buttons in the Overworld version of this area. Is it currently stubbed?

I don't think I touched any button coding recently. Are you using the Cane of Somaria?

Show content
42. Northern Mine, first Helmasaurus King battle. Sometimes the music doesn't end until you leave the room.

Meaning the music in the first or second room?

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1356 on: July 06, 2020, 04:19:35 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Show content

Wait, I got it. It's collection of the Weird Toadstool that triggers it. Guess they use the same collection flag.

Show content

I don't think I touched any button coding recently. Are you using the Cane of Somaria?
Oops. Forgot that existed. I guess it feels like a very long trek back since (and I've updated my charts to show this) you need the Cane to get to here, but in order to get the Cane you'll need the Blue Mail, and either the Hookshot or the Hammer. Since the Dark World version of this area (Ice Caverns) gives you the Hookshot, you basically have to leave to go find the Cane of Somaria and then come back, which might be difficult for people to remember about.

Show content

Boss battle music, in the room with the Small Key in the chest.

Show content
44. Collecting the Quake Medallion plays the "dungeon treasure" jingle, and then the music goes silent (does not return to Overworld music) until entering another area (like the Dark World).
45. Any Darkworld dungeon. Using the Hookshot on the Crystal lets you collect it. Intentional?
46. Is the Waterworks area complete? There still seem to be two doors I can't get past, with two rooms inaccessible. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important behind those doors.

« Reply #1357 on: July 06, 2020, 06:01:39 pm »
Show content

Wait, I got it. It's collection of the Weird Toadstool that triggers it. Guess they use the same collection flag.

That would explain why you reported issues with the mushroom in the first run, but issues with this path in the second. I'm not sure why I missed it during my testing, but now I should be able to target the problem directly.

Show content

Oops. Forgot that existed. I guess it feels like a very long trek back since (and I've updated my charts to show this) you need the Cane to get to here, but in order to get the Cane you'll need the Blue Mail, and either the Hookshot or the Hammer. Since the Dark World version of this area (Ice Caverns) gives you the Hookshot, you basically have to leave to go find the Cane of Somaria and then come back, which might be difficult for people to remember about.

Agreed. I don't mind sporadic backtracking, but it's bad if players get too few hints. I'll adjust the text of the signpost at the base of the mountain to hint at the treasure. (It feels appropriate to combine two (previous) oversights to solve each other XD)

45. Any Darkworld dungeon. Using the Hookshot on the Crystal lets you collect it. Intentional?

Yes, in the sense that it was an oversight that I left anyway, because it a little fun thing to discover.
As long as it doesn't break anything I don't mind leaving it in. It might also have some puzzle potential down the line, come to think of it.

46. Is the Waterworks area complete? There still seem to be two doors I can't get past, with two rooms inaccessible. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important behind those doors.

You're not missing anything (though I might as well remove those south rooms from the map, same as the west room earlier).
I've build those extra sewers rooms years ago, but with the updated overworld they didn't fit that well anymore. Hence the closed doors. I eventually plan to update the overworld and sewers, so I'll leave the tiling as is for now.

==

EDIT: You can also reach the ice caverns with the golden mits
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:08:15 pm by Martijn dh »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #1358 on: July 07, 2020, 06:23:32 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
You can also reach the ice caverns with the golden mits
Chart updated to address this.

« Reply #1359 on: July 14, 2020, 09:14:00 pm »

Boss battle music, in the room with the Small Key in the chest.

I don't understand this issue yet.
Show content
You encounter the boss in the room with the keychest and are meant to run. So the boss music not stopping until you exit that room is intended. I find it more odd that you are staying the music sometimes DOES stop while in the "bossroom". Unless ofcourse you actually beat that unfavourable fight. In which case nicely done (and are you saying the music sometimes doesn't stop after that win?).

I'll need to think about the Goriya AI and if/how I'd like to change that. The rest has now been fixed / updated.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 78 queries.

anything