Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Do you think mods are being too lenient?

Yes, they should be strictier.
- 5 (26.3%)
No, the members are the ones who aren't reporting to moderators.
- 2 (10.5%)
No, mods are actually less active than they used to be.
- 1 (5.3%)
No, It's okay the way they are now.
- 9 (47.4%)
No, they should be more lenient.
- 2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are mods being too lenient recently?  (Read 1932 times)

Are mods being too lenient recently?
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:39:56 am »
In my opinion, mods are being too lenient recently. Specially after Infinitus left ZFGC. Recently I have seen thousands of pointless topics, posts with no content, double-posting, gravedigging, etc.. There were 7 "Do you know me?" topics (okay, some of them had content, but most were annoying and spammy) plus 3 "Do you like me?" topics in a row, topics like "What was the last thing you drank?", and people going offtopic all the time.

But I am pretty sure that 2 years ago, when I joined ZFGC, you could really see mods taking action: there were many edited posts, locked topics due to lack of content (or at least they were moved to SPAM board), and flamers, gravediggers and double/tripleposters were quickly warned.
Re: Are mods being too leniant recently?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:45:02 am »
  • :D
Well I've been in Japan over the last two weeks, so I haven't been able to do anything about all these dumb fad threads, but I definitely think we need to get stricter.  4sword is hiring a new staff member and we're going to hopefully have some discussion about this stuff.  Personally I'm tired of a lot of the crap posted here nowadays, but it can be very tough deciding what is spam, and what is just an unintelligent post.

EDIT:  I do also think that the staff isn't nearly as active as it should be.  I think that I (when I'm not on vacation XD) am pretty active, but there are still several people on the moderation team who I think don't do a great job.
Re: Are mods being too lenient recently?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:52:50 am »
Nothing really changed after Infinitus left, just that Infinitus left.  It isn't a change in moderation, just a loss of the individual who cracked down on anything.  I thought that the fad topics would pass over and when it became apparent that they were not going to, I locked the ones that were more recently made.  The ones that posed legitimate questions were only guilty of being fads, and the ones that were spam were the joke ones; i.e. the Hussein and Bush ones. 

- "thousands" is a hyperbole
- posts with no content are a problem (mainly those with just an emoticon).  They are a little harder to moderate because if they convey an appropriate reaction as a response that doesn't need content, then who knows.  Pointless ones do get deleted though if they are antagonistic and in serious topics.
- double posting is a problem, but only relevant by the actions of a bad few that is curbing.  You can double post if you have new content, it's been over a few days and no reply has gone to your request, etc. so not all double posting is bad, but you are right it is still bad the kind I know you are thinking of.
- Gravedigging is tricky.  There was a topic today that was digged with a shitty content post, I deleted that one and the ones that followed, but people still posted anyway.  Some of their posts had content that was relevant so it was then OK

I posted something in the News box that said to knock off the fad topics, it was a few refreshes down, no one listened though.

The question is do you want the moderation staff to be more non-hesitant to use the warning system or do you want the warning system down and the burden placed all on moderator action again? 
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:57:27 am »
do you want the warning system down and the burden placed all on moderator action again? 
I definitely want that! although it's really egoistic.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:04:39 am »
The question is do you want the moderation staff to be more non-hesitant to use the warning system or do you want the warning system down and the burden placed all on moderator action again? 
Sorry, I didn't mean the warning system with the hearts, I meant actually doing something about these topics/posts. I think I misworded that. And no, the warning system is perfect, the problem is only, in my opinion, the frequence in which it is used.

- "thousands" is a hyperbole
Oh, sorry if I exaggerated a bit, yes, that was a hyperbole of course.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:14:17 am »
I think they should be MORE lenient not less, seriously I wouldn't have even banned zeldaprogamer if I were a mod (I would at least keep him for entertainment >:D), mods shouldn't really mess around except in the worst of cases.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:02:46 am »
Nothing really changed after Infinitus left, just that Infinitus left.  It isn't a change in moderation, just a loss of the individual who cracked down on anything.  I thought that the fad topics would pass over and when it became apparent that they were not going to, I locked the ones that were more recently made.  The ones that posed legitimate questions were only guilty of being fads, and the ones that were spam were the joke ones; i.e. the Hussein and Bush ones. 

Ï didn't knew infinitus left after a month or so, and still I dont know why :/

I think they should be MORE lenient not less, seriously I wouldn't have even banned zeldaprogamer if I were a mod (I would at least keep him for entertainment Evil), mods shouldn't really mess around except in the worst of cases.
I dunno about this one.. zeldapro is something that will cause huge problems if we leave him ...

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 11:48:31 am »
  • hungry..
Ï didn't knew infinitus left after a month or so, and still I dont know why :/
You've clearly never been part of the ZFGC staff, my friend. It's harder work than you imagine... from the member's perspective (I know because I'm just a member now).. you don't really see what goes on, and can't grasp how hard it can be with certain members and deciding on what to do with the rest of the staff.

I didn't leave the staff because of all of that, but most of the staff who have left DO leave for those reasons. I have complete respect for all of the staff, because after 2 and a half years of going from Mod to Global to Head to Admin, I do know how much work it can be.

The staff at the moment is GREAT, all of the mods are wicked and do an awesome job, sure their strictness varies, but just like a member's matureness varies... Mods ARE just members remember. They're doing a good job with letting us have fun, but not allowing everyone to get carried away and cause trouble.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:52:52 am by Dayjo »
  • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:57:54 am »
... um, I haven't really noticed a lack of moderation except for some topics getting off-topic very quickly. I have no doubt it'll perk up when the new moderator is chosen.

EDIT: Wait, isn't that meant to be today? Who got it!?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 05:41:03 pm »
I just thought it was strange how the moderators didn't even budge about those really annoying fad topics that have been stuffing up the forums lately. It's very annoying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 60 queries.