Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Far Away - A Symphonic Metal Original (WIP)  (Read 5985 times)

Far Away - A Symphonic Metal Original (WIP)
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:42:26 pm »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
Hey guys.

Okay I know it's been like forever since I've really posted anything here, but I've upgraded my music software recently and have taken on a Symphonic JRock/Metal track :). Heavily inspired by Stream Of Passion, Symphony X, X Japan, Versailles and a bit of Dream Theater. This is going to be part of my solo album project which I intend to release commercially some time next year, however this is going to be a free download after release.

I have not completed much as of yet but I am willing to share with you guys what I have done so far.

Current version, intro basically complete, just need to touch up on adding more orchestration and acoustic guitar:
http://www.box.net/shared/dp8pgb8il0

Previous version(scrapped):
http://www.box.net/shared/7v5eur33i5

Software used so far: Sonar 8.5 Producer, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Dimension Pro.

Feedback/criticism welcome :).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:27:00 am by HyperKnight32 »
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
Re: Far Away - A Symphonic Metal Original (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:43:48 pm »
Very nice, sounding quite well. You're getting better :P

I just think you should rise the volume of the melody (or diminish the others).
Also I would diminish the percussion a bit, it's a bit noisy in some parts

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:48:54 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Methinks you visited my page on OCR...

Sounds good! Keep it up! and good to see you again!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:19:31 pm »
  • Minalien
Nice, HK. :D

Now you need to get somebody who sounds like Tarja to do vocals. :3
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:50 pm »
This, sir, is epic. If I had money, I'd pay you to use it in RoNF.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:58 pm »
Sounds pretty awesome :D
I don't know about the bit with the kick playing constantly near the end, just sounds a bit out of place in this sort of music, plus it does funny things with my speakers.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:17:00 am »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Haha yes Mirby I did visit your page on OCR, dunno how I found it but I did :P. As far as the vocals go, if I complete this track well enough I'm going to visit the OCR forums and request a female vocalist(there are a few excellent ones there). Someone like Tarja would suit quite nicely, though I'm not as big on the opera style singing, need a vocalist with a bit of an aggressive rock/metal flavour. Though I feel to get enough feedback and reception there I'll have to work my ass off and get a sucessfull remix submitted...then people will pay attention to what I have to say and share there..

I know I have a bit to go as far as getting the right velocities goes and EQing/mastering. The drumkit I'm using most likely won't be pernament, if I find a better sounding kit I'll switch to that.The kick pedal is good but a tiny bit too loud, unfortunately I don't know how to soften the volume while remaining its intensity with my current VSTi. Darklight, the constant double kick does play a bit funny on my headphones during the final piece, also are you familiar with the style I'm going for here :)? I'm not 100% sure on the drums on the last bit either, maybe that sort of action is better left for a more 'aggressive' part of the track.

I'm using instruments from Yellowtools' Independence Pro and Dimension Pro, the guitar is my playing as usual, unless I'm going for video game music I wont go to sequenced electric guitar(however the bass and acoustic guitar samples are superb and I'd use them in any track I please :)).

As far as my influence goes, to get an idea of what styles I'm going for check out Nightwish's "The Poet And The Pendulum"
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jj-ksrb_Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jj-ksrb_Q</a>

Also one of my favourite bands Stream Of Passion:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bx1fsqu9Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bx1fsqu9Q</a>

And some Dream Theater of course:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHLIqI2XVM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHLIqI2XVM</a>

Thanks again guys, I'll be sure to keep you posted.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:19:13 am »
lol I just listened to a track you did on DoD. Sol Sanctum Drained My Batteries?

It's good to see your progression, and this track really is quite good. I wish I had 1% of your musical talent.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:30 am »
  • Minalien
As far as my influence goes, to get an idea of what styles I'm going for check out Nightwish's "The Poet And The Pendulum"
Ew, post-Tarja Nightwish. :(
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:26:11 am »
Okay in your case, Ghost Love Score, Gethsemane, Phantom Of The Opera...and not sure what else. Though preferably one of their more long melodic tracks. I'm aiming for a 7-15 minute length track here.

lol I just listened to a track you did on DoD. Sol Sanctum Drained My Batteries?

It's good to see your progression, and this track really is quite good. I wish I had 1% of your musical talent.
Ah so you follow DoD? Originally I was planning on blowing their minds with a prog rock version of Sol Sanctum but I really ran out of time. I do intend on making a full length track out of it and submitting it to OCR ;).

As far as musical talent goes, if you've got an ear for music and can think up melodies in your head, you're half way their.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:48:04 am »
  • Minalien
Okay in your case, Ghost Love Score, Gethsemane, Phantom Of The Opera...and not sure what else. Though preferably one of their more long melodic tracks. I'm aiming for a 7-15 minute length track here.
♪ Over the hills so far away! She prays he will return some day! ♫

• Development Blog

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »
I follow DoD because they don't have the filesize restrictions OCR has, so you can find some real gems there. It's the thrift store of game remix sites.

Also, I can think of music in my head; remembering it later is the problem.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:00:13 pm »
DoD is worth checking out because you hear both the good and the bad. Usually the top 3 tracks are actually good enough to submit to OCR and get passed, unless it's MAGfest or over 20-30 entrants then it's usually the top 10 entries.

And the long 10+minute medleys are well worth it, though OCR has increased the filesize limit recently, so an 8-10 minute track might just be possible.

As for this track I'm not working on it right now, haven't done any more work on it actually, I will next week though :). But atm my top priority now is my first OCR submission, which may take weeks/months to finish. Though I will work on this track bit by bit, and will keep you guys posted even if no one replies, I'll keep updating :).
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 12:09:34 am »
Not a real update here, I upgraded over a month ago from Sonar Home Studio 7 XL to Sonar 8.5 Producer, it loads the project file but the vsti is playing up and wont let me change or add any instruments, so I'm going to have to export the midi data only and start in a new project file.

That's not the real news, for those interested I am actually re-writting this track again from the ground up, it'll still contain the same melody at least for the intro, but different instruments and a different style, though it's only going to be better than before. That's it for this quick news fix ;).
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 12:31:35 am »
Ack, sorry to bump three times in a row but it's finally done, the complete rewritten intro. It now spans just over 2 minutes, still have to add extra orchestration to the intro and fix up the choir sound and fix minor flaws in the acoustic guitar/piano harmony.

It's nothing like how it was before, I have been more patient this time around and did not rush things. It has dramatically altered, much more melodic and soothing.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 01:32:09 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
So, I'm thinking you should move to Montreal and join my guitarist and I in making the most awesome band in the world. Bring a drummer.

On a more serious note, I really like this so far. I really enjoy how the guitar has an echo-y feel.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 06:38:43 am »
I really like it too, you've pulled off the repetetive guitar rhythm well. When I say repetetive I'm not saying it in a bad way :p, I really do like the way the rhythm stays the same and you just change the chords and stuff that go along with it, makes for a nice background part.
I'd suggest changing that choir patch as at the moment it sort of takes away from the rest of the piece, it doesn't sound as realistic as the piano and guitar. The violin's fine, although could probably do with more articulation.
I really like this though, well done :)
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 11:41:34 am »
So, I'm thinking you should move to Montreal and join my guitarist and I in making the most awesome band in the world. Bring a drummer.

On a more serious note, I really like this so far. I really enjoy how the guitar has an echo-y feel.
Aha, the most awesome band in the world sounds good, but that's a long way away. I made sure I added reverb, it gives the track heaps more atmosphere.

I really like it too, you've pulled off the repetetive guitar rhythm well. When I say repetetive I'm not saying it in a bad way :p, I really do like the way the rhythm stays the same and you just change the chords and stuff that go along with it, makes for a nice background part.
I'd suggest changing that choir patch as at the moment it sort of takes away from the rest of the piece, it doesn't sound as realistic as the piano and guitar. The violin's fine, although could probably do with more articulation.
I really like this though, well done :)
Yeah, the choir is the most annoying part, I may change it to a different instrument entirely. I'll have to record the lead instruments live just before the mixing stage, I find it heaps easier than having to humanize the velocities and timing and program all the midi date and input all that myself.

Well it'll come together eventually, so far it's working and I'm happy with the progress made. I've got a handfull of VSTi's now, so none of this should be a problem.

Though my progress will be less frequent for awhile as I've got an OCRemix project I'm apart of and need to start working on my tracks for that. I'll be sure however to get more done within a few weeks, might touch up on the whole intro first before I lay down the rest.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 07:31:22 pm »
I personally prefer the last version, but the newer is good too. My criticism is that this one is sort of "empty"... that section between 0:30 and 1:00 is quite repetitive, and the song could have one or two more instruments (my suggestion would be ensemble strings or a low pitch accompaniment instrument).

Apart from that it's nice, that reverb effect sounded good too.

marywuliaz

Color Trends For 2011 Spring Fashion
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 01:36:08 pm »
That spring fashion 2011 trend of hair colouring is continuously evolving. In advance of, hair colouring was considered brightly colored punk Mohawk or simply spiky hairstyles. Nonetheless, now there are a great number of beautiful and simple looking colored hair that give an exceptionally natural look. When you are new to curly hair colour, and then investigate different hair colouring 2011 spring fashion trends described below, and ascertain which suits you the most beneficial. If you want a great all natural looking colored hair, then this is ideal. Getting lots connected with skinny streaks inside your hair will provide a beautiful textured hair color browse your hair. Can provide homeowners already tried locks coloring, should use lowlights or a number of hot hair colors trends.
These are the best spring fashion 2011 trends for head of hair colouring. No issue what your tone, just go regarding subtle streaks of any hair colour hint which is two or three shades lighter in comparison with your base curly hair colour, and you shall not go wrong. Or you may pick any some other color shade that matches your complexion as well as eye color, to get loads of skinny streaks through out your hair, for any beautiful textured locks look. Chunky hair emphasize 2011 spring fashion trends were most liked before, but it is easy to still use these phones add style for a hair. Chunky highlights are usually more done by most people, who like for you to color their hair in the house. Chunky hair features are thicker, so pick a subtle hue. Here are more suggestions about getting chunky features.
Dark hair color like mahogany, caramel, hazelnut, and warm toffee could be the key 2011 curly hair color spring fashions 2011 trends. Shades this fall are especially about subtle, much more enjoyable and richer shades. Redheads, who think that they just do not have much possibility in color selection, need not be concerned. Mahogany tones and colors like huge aubergine and copper red is the latest in cutting edge color trends 2011. Highlights and lowlights together with darker shades should really be done to the extent that they throw focus on your eyes. Working with softer tones associated with color inside shades of caramel, plum and honey offers an overall smooth look. Gold and copper also are hot and completely new colour trends 2011 and you could use them just for highlighting your strands.
Just read was some new colour spring fashions 2011 trends. After knowing up to date hair color tastes, you don't have to be stuck with tedious hair anymore. You will discover numerous of colors and styles which you could choose from, to update your lifestyle. Just make sure your hair color would work for your complexion and personality.Article Source: how to dress well
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 78 queries.