Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokemon Unamed  (Read 8442 times)

Caomicc

Pokemon Unamed
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:26:27 am »
For one, this may not even be possible, and its going to be at least a lengthy project.

Pokemon is a game that I assume most of you have played at some point in your life. Maybe even some of you have played hacked ROMs or attempted to make your own.
I have an idea.

A Pokemon game should be made that has all of the worlds in one, in a connectible with a plot as realistic as the Nintendo made ones.

It has been a dream of mine to be able to play a game like this, and I feel as if I am not alone in wanting to play this game.

I myself know nothing of how to make a ROM, but I am willing to learn. Moldorma and I want to create a team to make this game, as we believe it may be a bit more work than 2 people are cut out for.

I'm not talking ROM editing people, this game will most likely need to be built from the ground up... Unless someone has an idea.

Anyone willing to help out at all, even post some plot ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully this game could be possible. Who's with me?
Re: Pokemon Unamed
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:30:48 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I'm in, as mentioned. I've played with Rom hecking before, its no easy road, but I'm game.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:57:56 am »
Won't be possible

would be way too hard to even try to combine the 2D and 3D worlds in all the games

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:00:19 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I believe the idea is to retile all the maps in a single style. I can see it being possibly being impossible in a rom due to limitations of the device, but maybe rebuilt up in Game Maker or somethin
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:03:12 am »
Even if you did it as a Game Maker game it's a ridiculously large project even for a team to tackle.

Caomicc

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 04:11:13 am »
Wouldn't be a game where you combine worlds. It would have to be built from the ground up. Revisions could be made to compromise graphics and stuff.
We would just need a way to build the map using a games preexisting graphics.
I favor emeralds engine.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:25:54 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Oh kids, it's not as easy as you think. Even if you guys use Game Maker, which apparently people are very interested in using on this forum, it seems very very tough. However, if you guys have the stamina to do it, go for it.

What I suggest is to split your team up into 4-5 groups where each of you work on a different Pokemon world map (e.g. one team works on Sinnoh, one team works on Hoenn, etc.). Before this is done, you should of course work on the maps as a whole in terms of design; that way you'll know how to connect them, blablabla.

In terms of the engine, I would suggest to start simple and then build it up as you go. Start with the simplest engine and then build it up progressively. Trust me on this one as words of the wise.

I would join this but I am too busy with my career, and I have a strange feeling you'll use Game Maker, which I have no knowledge whatsoever of. If I were to join, it would have to be in either C++ or Java, and I'm routing on DON'T USE JAVA. C++ would be pimp though.

EDIT: I thought about it more on my way to work and FISSURE has a point. How are you going to combine the different maps? Do you plan on making everything in Pokemon Red/Blue style? The Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/HG/SS style seems a little overbearing for something like this unless you want to kill yourselves.

If you want this to be even remotely possible, I'd take a team of minimum 10. No joke.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:37:05 pm by Starフォセーキン »
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:25 pm »
For the love of pokemon, get a design document with every feature you're going to need first. Categorise it all, work out what part of the engine will handle the routines etc. And use bulbapedia's game mechanics section to get all the experience formulaes etc. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Game_mechanics
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Caomicc

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:58 pm »
The map making wouldn't really be a cut and paste ordeal, we would have to pick a games base graphics and rebuild the worlds from that set of graphics and sets.

Like I said, I think we should use the R/S/E graphics. It seems that we may be able to squeeze the most out of this.

Also, there is a total of 10 HMs.
Cut - in all games
Flash - discontinued in D/P/P and HGSS
Strength - in all games
Rock Smash - in all games
Fly - in all games
Waterfall - in all games after RBY
Whirlpool - in G/S/C, and HGSS
Dive - Only in R/S/E
Rock Climb - Only in D/P/P and HGSS
and Defog - only D/P/P

So, to me, it seems like dive would be the hardest element to recreate, as all the others are basically road blocks or way to transportation. I don't know, thats just me and I'm open to ideas and such. None of this is set in stone.

Whats really got me wondering is how are we going to get this plot going? Is the elite four not going to be after until you beat all the gyms?
Even then, thats 32 badges. Wouldn't most people level up all their pokemon half way through the game? Then it just gets easy.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 06:22:27 pm »
It wouldn't be that hard to make a Pokemon fangame detailing every region. It would be at least easier than recreating Ocarina of Time in 2 dimensions.

Caomicc

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:30:05 pm »
I think the first step would be creating the map.

if we want to get official,
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/rubiks-cube/Pokemon_World_Map_by_Cadellin.png
is how it should play out.

How would we get the players to transport themselves among the map?
Planes?
Cars?
Boats?
or could they actually walk through all of Japan to get there? That seems very far.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:37:14 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I think boats between the regions would be good. As for the Elite Four, just make it 4 from each region all at once, like an Elite 16 after you get all the badges.
  • Lionfish Apps

Caomicc

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 07:38:28 pm »
But still, 100 levels is too small of a number.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 08:36:31 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
/late

Sounds interesting enough. Granted, it would take eons to finish (if it ever is), but it would be pretty boss in a perfect world. If you happen to be using GM, throw me a bone if you need any help. I know my way around in GM, so I can be of some use.

Okay, I'm done. Go back to... doing whatever it is you do.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:47:39 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
It wouldn't be that hard to make a Pokemon fangame detailing every region. It would be at least easier than recreating Ocarina of Time in 2 dimensions.

I'm reasonably positive the issue isn't going to be designing the regions. The problem's going to arise when it comes to in-game mechanics :P A lot of people half ass it or guess proper mechanics, which pisses off fans due to it throwing the balance WAY off.

The way I see it; if you don't know how the game handles the technical aspects of the game, then you're probably not the one who should be trying to remake it. Not saying the OP doesn't know the mechanics; but that's going to be the most difficult part :P
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 09:00:17 pm »
Honestly... I think that if it was so simple, Nintendo would have already done it... plus that most projects at ZFGC don't reach even 10% of development...

About hecking the ROMs... as far as I know, the ROM files won't give you useful information considering you're recreating it in game maker. It's not as if you could copy and paste the data inside the ROM into your game, so you'll actually have to type every single pokemon information (how many are them? 600?) - their level upgrading data, move learning data, evolving data, their behaviour on attack/defence/speed points and etc., plus all the stages data (which pokemon appear where, with what level and characteristics, which pokemon each trainer has, which pokemon each stadium leader has, their AI data)... anyway, pokemon games may seem easy to create, but actually they take you a lot of work generating that data (specially for Nintendo, who made it from scratch). [BTW, that's why I personally prefer making action games than RPG games...] Also, you wouldn't be able to just copy that all from Nintendo, because since it is a bigger game, the pokemon of the other regions would have to be stronger so that the game could be fun enough. So anyway, what would probably happen is that after some months of development everyone working on the project would get tired of it and will have only entered some 10% of all that data...

Maybe if this was a community project it would be possible, but considering that ZFGC has been losing activity recently, it's still quite difficult... anyway, good luck with your project.

Caomicc

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 09:03:51 pm »
Game mechanics isn't what I'm worried about. I know how the game plays out, and that they all follow the same idea. Get your Pokemon, battle up to the first gyms. Learn how to catch Pokemon from your ally or some old guy in Viridian City. You get a potion early on in the game and before you know it there's some Rocket grunts, or lookalikes like Team Magma and Galactica. I know how the game works, and Moldorma knows that I'm a bit of a perfectionist in what I create. If something is even a pixel off I'll spend the next hour trying to fix it.
Pokemon has been something I've played since I could read. But even still, I've never made a game, I've never coded in any format, I'm merely a fan but I want to see this happen, and I want to learn how to do this.
I know it would be a lot of work, it would be a terrible amount of data that would need to be entered, but Nintendo hasn't made this game because they are lazy, its because there would be no reason for fans to buy all the older versions. They would buy the complete set, play 8 games in one.
Nintendo wouldn't go for that.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 09:16:01 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Game mechanics isn't what I'm worried about. I know how the game plays out, and that they all follow the same idea. Get your Pokemon, battle up to the first gyms. Learn how to catch Pokemon from your ally or some old guy in Viridian City.

That's already alienating the demographic though. That's also what I was talking about when I said it was half assing it :P Unless you understand what exactly is going on in a battle; what variables are being checked, and what value is being compared to another... It's not going to work. You're going to run into balance errors, and simply !@#$% off people who play the game habitually :p

Caomicc

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:04 pm »
Game mechanics isn't what I'm worried about. I know how the game plays out, and that they all follow the same idea. Get your Pokemon, battle up to the first gyms. Learn how to catch Pokemon from your ally or some old guy in Viridian City.

That's already alienating the demographic though. That's also what I was talking about when I said it was half assing it :P Unless you understand what exactly is going on in a battle; what variables are being checked, and what value is being compared to another... It's not going to work. You're going to run into balance errors, and simply !@#$% off people who play the game habitually :p

Well obviously it hasn't ben put together yet, and its not going to be a one man project, I hope. Besides, game statistics are available online everywhere lol
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 12:09:14 am »
  • d(-_-)b
I would like to help. If you are planning to make a 2D game, it would be nice to use GM, so if you need me I can also show you some of my work using GM.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 76 queries.

anything