Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Visual Studio Express edition really so bad?  (Read 2540 times)

gm112

Is Visual Studio Express edition really so bad?
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:01:03 am »
I recall some people here bashing against this calling it a "interpreted language compiler"(generally speaking for all languages :P). Meh, I really don't care if it is interpreted. Honestly, I've used Visual Studio C++/C# editions and they seemed pretty damn good. I think Microsoft made a good move on making it free. It's not a bad toolchain =\. The IDE is really great, too.. I tend to hate remembering all the commands so the intell-sense thing is quite helpful on occasions. Its only downfall is you need .NET for your apps :S. What are your thoughts, ZFGC?
Re: Is Visual Studio Express edition really so b...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:09:03 am »
  • Minalien
Whoever called it an "interpreted language compiler" needs to pull their head from their ass and accept the fact that Microsoft releases respectable development software.

As for needing .NET for your apps, that's only the ones running on a .NET language, meaning C#, VB.NET, and Managed C++. Compiling a normal C++ application through Visual C++ doesn't add a requirement of .NET out of nowhere.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:34:00 am »
It's free. No complaints here, used for ages.
the a o d c
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:55:52 am »
It's free. No complaints here, used for ages.
Ditto.

Bar the lack of some profiling tools, it more or less contains everything you need. And whoever calls it an 'interpreted language compiler' is a moron.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:19:24 pm »
I don't use the express editions, but Microsoft sure as hell knows what they're doing for a development environment. Debug tools are top notch -- who else knows best how to debug on their platform, except those who wrote it.

While I understand people prefer things like Dev C++ and the sort, people who bash the Visual Studio suite are uninformed and ignorant. Even if you don't like it, you can respect it for what it is, no?

Regardless, I recommend the hell out of Visual Studio, especially for students, since Microsoft is giving the whole professional suite away for free. And that says a lot, in my opinion.
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:39:45 pm »
  • Minalien
I already have the professional suite for "free" ;3
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 01:41:28 pm »
I'm not saying there aren't other ways to obtain it, same holds true with anything. Though having a legit license is something to be said.
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:53:11 pm »
  • Minalien
Yeah, and I'd use that, if DeVry were one of the supportive schools <.<

• Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 03:58:25 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I already have the professional suite for "free" ;3

Microsoft gives student licenses to schools for the whole suite..i'm running that for VS2005 (although I have VC++ 2005 express XD)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 09:40:50 pm »
  • If not now, when?
I use Visual Studio Express for professional (read: commercial) development. It has everything I need and suits me well. Thank you Microsoft.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 01:34:41 am »
I use Visual Studio Express for professional (read: commercial) development. It has everything I need and suits me well. Thank you Microsoft.

Aye. Lots of big studios use it too.
Yeah, and I'd use that, if DeVry were one of the supportive schools <.<

Do the alternate method. I had to, my school wasn't on the list. You 'buy' this $0.00 thing from the online shop they link you to. The shop requires you to send a scanned/screenshotted/etc picture of your schedule, proving you're currently in classes. Has to have your name, class names and school name. Then they approve you, send you a link via email, and viola, you're in. Took a day, day and a half to go through, but worth it.
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 04:08:36 am »
  • Minalien
Or I could open up uTorrent, go to my local "electronics shop," and purchase a "cheap copy"

• Development Blog

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »
  • hungry..
I use Visual Basic 2008 Express... however I've been having some SERIOUS issues with it crashing my pc... I open it and it just slows the entire computer down to a complete halt until I terminate it's process :/ (same problem with Flash CS3 actually.. really annoying, if anyone knows why, please tell)
  • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 12:11:31 am »
  • Minalien
It sounds like some sort of problem with your computer than it does anything else, Joel. The full VS2008 Pro suite runs without problem on mine, as does everything in Adobe CS3

• Development Blog

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 03:23:28 am »
  • hungry..
It sounds like some sort of problem with your computer than it does anything else, Joel. The full VS2008 Pro suite runs without problem on mine, as does everything in Adobe CS3
Yeah, they both did.. they ran fine, then one day they started acting up.. was really annoying. :(
  • My Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 68 queries.