Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokemon Odd Question  (Read 4401 times)

Pokemon Odd Question
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:07:23 am »
Throughout watching the Pokemon television series when I was younger and sometimes today when I have nothing better to do, I am constantly reminded of things that bother me about the world in Pokemon.  While I know that suspension of belief is required to watch those shows, I think this is beside the point.  Even though there are creatures with powers, this is meant to be a separate world and as such, a different set of rules than compared to our world can exist.  So, when I see a main character eating a hamburger, it makes me think.  What the hell did they kill for their meal?  Especially in the first generation when the amount of Pokemon was limited, did they slaughter a Tauros? 

That, and other meat Pokemon come to mind - Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, etc. (basically all the birds, snakes, rats, cats, etc. I don't know, this is a pretty !@#$% up show, I would bet they would eat anything).  There is also the crustaceans and the mushrooms.

But they this brings to mind more disturbing questions.  Would the purely grass Pokemon be considered vegetables?  Would it be acceptable to gut a Bellsprout for sustenance?  In today's era of the possibility of cloned foods, if Ditto in this world transformed into one of the aforementioned Pokemon, would it be edible.

But the even more disturbing question is - are there lesser creatures than Pokemon in the world of Pokemon?  Why are humans the only creatures that are carnivorous in the series? 

I am so disturbed by all of this.
Re: Pokemon Odd Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:09:35 am »
It's a children's show... probably in Japan, too. (I hope it is, because that'd be !@#$% up.) Have you ever seen farmers slaughter cows on children's shows?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:13:32 am »
I cannot say that I have, meh.  When there are a lot of people fishing for Magikarps though, you would have to think that they kill at least a few of them - why else would you keep doing that unless you really really wanted a Gyarados.  Also, if Alakazam has an IQ of 5000, how the hell can he be enslaved by a child who has no formal education?  This is !@#$%.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:00:47 am »
I cannot say that I have, meh.  When there are a lot of people fishing for Magikarps though, you would have to think that they kill at least a few of them - why else would you keep doing that unless you really really wanted a Gyarados.  Also, if Alakazam has an IQ of 5000, how the hell can he be enslaved by a child who has no formal education?  This is !@#$%.

They have other Animals in the pokemon world

The magikarp are hard to kill and eat since their skin is rock hard.

Sabrina didn't enslave Alakazam, She's it's trainer, no enslaving required.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:10:26 am »
I think you're trying too hard to relate a children's game to the real world.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:12:22 am »
Also, if Alakazam has an IQ of 5000, how the hell can he be enslaved by a child who has no formal education?
Ah, you are sadly mistaken on who wears the pants in the pokemon <-> trainer relationship.

CrystalAngel04

Resident ZFGC female
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:15:37 am »
  • \\*Caution*\\ The Internets: May contain Women
Or maybe they just import their food?

* CrystalAngel shrugs
  • -= Crystal Angel Creations =-
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:16:56 am »
Which is why I am saying that if they have other animals in the world, what gives them the morality to eat them?  Assuming that the animals have an intelligence beneath most Pokemon, are they just commodities to them?  Slowpoke for example is almost on the level of retardation, so this makes me wonder if intelligence is really a factor in the hierarchy of it all.  That, and if the animals are separate, did the Pokemon who resemble them have any evolutionary link to these lower creatures?  If Alakazam is so smart, why don't they escape and Pokify humans.  Pokemon is a slave trade and Pikachu is the slave master.  
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:17:15 am »
  • Minalien
Throughout watching the Pokemon television series when I was younger and sometimes today when I have nothing better to do, I am constantly reminded of things that bother me about the world in Pokemon.  While I know that suspension of belief is required to watch those shows, I think this is beside the point.  Even though there are creatures with powers, this is meant to be a separate world and as such, a different set of rules than compared to our world can exist.  So, when I see a main character eating a hamburger, it makes me think.  What the hell did they kill for their meal?  Especially in the first generation when the amount of Pokemon was limited, did they slaughter a Tauros? 

That, and other meat Pokemon come to mind - Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, etc. (basically all the birds, snakes, rats, cats, etc. I don't know, this is a pretty !@#$% up show, I would bet they would eat anything).  There is also the crustaceans and the mushrooms.

But they this brings to mind more disturbing questions.  Would the purely grass Pokemon be considered vegetables?  Would it be acceptable to gut a Bellsprout for sustenance?  In today's era of the possibility of cloned foods, if Ditto in this world transformed into one of the aforementioned Pokemon, would it be edible.

But the even more disturbing question is - are there lesser creatures than Pokemon in the world of Pokemon?  Why are humans the only creatures that are carnivorous in the series? 

I am so disturbed by all of this.
I just want to say, Swordy, that I !@#$% love you xD
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:24:20 am »
  • :'O
While opening this topic I was thinking of that exact same question, and then boom you have it.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 03:25:49 am »
Well if pocket dimensions are a child's toy in the pokemon universe, I wouldn't want to !@#$% with any of their higher tech.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 03:40:21 am »
Well if pocket dimensions are a child's toy in the pokemon universe, I wouldn't want to !@#$% with any of their higher tech.
Hmm... that kind of reminds me of when Ash caught an Onigiri (or a JELLY DOH-NUT!!!11!). Why can't people live in these pocket dimensions?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 03:50:03 am »
I was also wondering about ghost-type Pokemon and the ghosts in at least the show.  Does this mean that Pokemon have souls?  If it is conceivable for Pokemon to have souls, then why would the animals in the series who are not Pokemon and are not shown, would they not to have souls?  

Hmm... that kind of reminds me of when Ash caught an Onigiri (or a JELLY DOH-NUT!!!11!). Why can't people live in these pocket dimensions?

It would make more sense to just live in the normal dimensions and use the pocket dimensions for purposes as energy is required to interact with the pocket dimensions themselves.  Well, at least in the Celebi Pokemon movie, the Pokeballs are shown to be a piece of technology that interacts with a networked computer system and has been upgraded.  How the hell do the balls teleport so easily and why have cars if you can teleport.  If Squirtle shoots water, why the hell are they deserts?  Why not just flood the world with Squirtle and other water Pokemon spit.  Deoxys could be the relative equivalent of humans from another world with powers?  Yet Pokeballs work on them.  If Pokemon can exist without the presence of humans and they have powers, how do humans survive and why?  The stronger aggressive Pokemon could just kill all humans and live perfectly.  The humans control Pokemon evolution when true evolution would happen without their interference with the exception of trade and item holding evolution. 

I swear to something that if you left the Squirtle gang alone in the Pokemon universe that they would turn into the human equivolant of the Imbangala.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 03:57:22 am »
  • w00t
See, my friends and I were recently discussing something similar.  We came to the conclusion that Pokemon simply WOULD NOT WORK in the real world.  For one thing, every female would have a Likitung (you can figure out why >_>).  But yeah, it's issues like that, plus the fact that you KNOW the rules wouldn't be followed.  Screw the "no killing" rule or "only 6 Pokemon per battle" or "no attacking the trainer" or "no capturing another trainer's Pokemon" or... you get the point.  None would be followed.

To be honest, I like the idea of having sentient animals that are semi-intelligent and can interact with humans on a level higher than that of normal house pets.  It would actually be comforting IMO.  Yet at the same time I know that if they actually existed they would be abused to no end.  They'd become weapons, tools of terror, and the world would turn into chaos.

And I'm slightly ashamed for half-wishing they were real.  At least I'm not as crazy as those Pokeclipse guys, hehe.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:59:16 am by DanTheMan »
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 04:06:04 am »
I want virtual pets who can learn... but they are tamagotchi like, portable. Just my unrelated thoughts.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 02:20:23 am »
  • The Mike
I actually never bothered. I pretty much just enjoyed it until after the Johto episodes. The show became weirder and weirder. Now, I just pay attention to the games.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:36:35 am »
I remember the hype that Kid's WB had for the episode where Brock, Misty, and Ash went their separate ways.  It felt like the end of an era and I was never able to get into it that much after that.  It is strange to believe that this show started when I was in elementary school though and that a form of it is still around.

It was a total mind !@#$% to figure out that Ho-oh was flying into that rainbow though in the first episode.  I thought it was a deformed Moltres at first.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 02:40:55 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
I've watched some of the newer Diamond & Pearl ones that are on now and I've pretty much adapted to the new voices, I hated them at first but now I don't mind them, though I still get the odd time where I hate them. They can never replace James' voice, he had the best voice for his comedy.

I think I finished watching just before the voice changed. I remember all those episodes where they would visit Oak's lab and we got to see Ash's old pokemon... I remember when we seen Muk for the first time in forever and I fell in love with him <3
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 03:22:59 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Real life Poke'mon makes no sense, however trainable animals with intelligence would be pretty cool. Here are some of my complaints though:

1. How are items able to be transferred over the internet? Is there a size limit? Do other people's goods ever wind up with you as a glitch?

2. How can Poke'mon be stored in a computer? For one, is it possible to put a living creature onto a computer and two, is it ethical to keep a living creature with intelligence on the computer?

3. Have any Poke'mon ever killed a human? I imagine an Onix accidentally hitting a human would crush them...

4. What does Diglett scratch with?
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 03:51:24 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
2. How can Poke'mon be stored in a computer? For one, is it possible to put a living creature onto a computer and two, is it ethical to keep a living creature with intelligence on the computer?

I'm not sure about the games, but in the anime the Pokemon aren't stored in a computer; they're sent to Professor Oak's lab.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 78 queries.