Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking difficulties  (Read 854 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Networking difficulties
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:01:39 am »
  • b e p i s
Okay, so I'm having one hell of a time setting up the TrackMania server I've been working on. I finally got the required network cables today, and because I have no router, I instead plugged it up to a hub. My mom's computer utilizes Internet Connection Sharing, where she connects to my PC as if my computer were a router; however, she is plugged into this hub. Both of our computers use Windows XP SP2; the server runs on Windows 2000 Professional. Therefore, according to this, the other computer should be able to utilize ICS as well.

Anyway, I get the new drivers for the server NIC on a CD and load them on there. Installation goes perfectly. I set up ICS according to a guide I found on Google. However, I keep getting a "Network cable unplugged" error...and the hub isn't showing any activity from it. I have tried unplugging, replugging, reseating the NIC in a different PCI slot, reinstalling the drivers, using different hub ports, and even manually routing the thing to my computer's freakin' IP address! AHHH!

So, short of resetting the connection (which I can't do right now since my mom is online), is there any reason why this shouldn't work? The cable is good, as I was just using it with her computer before I re-routed everything.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
Re: Networking difficulties
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:06:57 am »
Plugged in using ethernet cables? It's a hub, right? Is it a REAL hub, or just your PC? PC to PC connections without a hub need a special ethernet cable called a crossover cable. There is a chance her PC might have automatically crossed everything, but I am not sure. Good luck.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:07:58 am »
  • :'O
You might need a router for that, can the server connect to the internet or your 2 other pc's?

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:15:33 am »
  • b e p i s
Plugged in using ethernet cables? It's a hub, right? Is it a REAL hub, or just your PC? PC to PC connections without a hub need a special ethernet cable called a crossover cable. There is a chance her PC might have automatically crossed everything, but I am not sure. Good luck.

It is a crossover cable, which was required before we had the hub, as she used to plug in straight to my computer's second NIC. The one she is using now is just a plain-jane Ethernet cable, and it works perfectly.

And yes, it is a physical hub.

You might need a router for that, can the server connect to the internet or your 2 other pc's?

Yeah, it connects to my mom's just fine. I can view shared folders on her computer.

I'm starting to think it's the NIC, as my friend who gave it to me just said he had some problems with it in the past. I'm going to test out the NIC I'm using in my main computer in the server, just to see if it can generate a positive connection.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:21:37 am »
  • :'O
No on board NIC I assume. Try out what you just said if it doesn't work out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:44:58 am »
  • b e p i s
Well, much to my surprise, the cable has been identified as the most likely culprit. The NIC I thought was the problem is currently sitting in my main computer, and both my internet and my mom's work just fine. Thankfully I have another place to put the server so that a replacement cable I have can reach, but I have to get up early, so that will wait until tomorrow.

So, topic locked unless some other problem comes up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.906 seconds with 49 queries.

anything