Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ocarina of time speed run tips  (Read 4109 times)

ocarina of time speed run tips
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:50:13 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
So my friend decided to challenge me to an oot speed run of the first 3 dungeons (he's so going down.) tomorrow.  I've got some tricks ready for him (side jumping instead of rolling, killing bosses with deku sticks, that kind of stuff.)  Anyone have any tips i can use to gain an advantage?  No cheats, they have to be something that's available to the both of us, but glitches are good!

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Re: ocarina of time speed run tips
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 12:51:20 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Running backwards is faster—good for crossing the overworld and stuff.  And don't go out of your way for Heart Container Pieces.  They're not really needed.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:58:10 am »
Tell him to learn how to do a bomb-flip, look it up on Youtube.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:48:11 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
When the owl asks if you understood everything, make sure you don't get him to repeat what he said.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:46:09 am »
  • Xiphirx
Evade most enemies.
  • For The Swarm

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:16:17 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
When you're crossing that spot in the Deku Tree where you have to go through a bunch of rooms, and then you're back in a room and you have to jump over a ledge, DON'T FALL OFF THE LEDGE. At least I remember it being that way.

Don't bump into rolling Gorons.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 02:59:31 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
In the Deku Tree, skip the compass room.  After getting the Slingshot, climb to the top floor and immediately jump down through the giant web.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:28:15 pm »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
These tips are stupid. Anyone with a brain should know not to engage enemies unnecessarily and make big mistakes on a speedrun. And the compass in the Deku tree? God, if you actually go out of your way to get that while on a speedrun, then you're an idiot. I hope those tips were sarcasm.

The only good tip I see here is holding Z and walking backwards to move long distances. Oh, and dont bother with the Heart Pieces OR Heart containers from beating bosses. OoT is easy, you dont need them. Stopping to grab the Heart containers takes like 10 seconds for each one.

The best advice? Watch some speedruns of the game.
http://speeddemosarchive.com/news.html
or Google Videos

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 03:35:30 pm »
  • *whistle*
Learn how to line up your backward walks quickly. Saves time rather than lining them up or readjusting them part-way through.

This is gonna seem obvious, but make sure you know boss routines thoroughly. I can't believe how many people think you actually have to cycle through one of Gohma's egg drops when you can just shoot her down straight away.

And yeah, since it's only for the first three dungeons, don't even think about anything like getting the Hylian shield or heart pieces or blah.

Hmm. What else? Can't remember, it's been a while since I tried to speedrun OoT.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 03:58:42 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
These tips are stupid. Anyone with a brain should know not to engage enemies unnecessarily and make big mistakes on a speedrun. And the compass in the Deku tree? God, if you actually go out of your way to get that while on a speedrun, then you're an idiot. I hope those tips were sarcasm.

The only good tip I see here is holding Z and walking backwards to move long distances. Oh, and dont bother with the Heart Pieces OR Heart containers from beating bosses. OoT is easy, you dont need them. Stopping to grab the Heart containers takes like 10 seconds for each one.

or Google Videos

You could try using a bit more tact when responding to people's suggestions…  Especially before you suggest something equally as obvious like watching speedrun videos.  >:|

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 04:28:59 pm »
  • Xiphirx

or Google Videos

You could try using a bit more tact when responding to people's suggestions…  Especially before you suggest something equally as obvious like watching speedrun videos.  >:|

He's also accepting any tips.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Oh, ok.

Chew before swallowing.
Always look both ways before crossing the street.
Never stare at the sun.
Don't date coworkers.
Never have unprotected sex.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 07:44:49 pm »
  • Xiphirx

Oh, ok.

Chew before swallowing.
Always look both ways before crossing the street.
Never stare at the sun.
Don't date coworkers.
Never have unprotected sex.

I'm sorry, I forgot that it took common sense to post any tips related to the !@#$% topic.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 07:48:18 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Yes, let's do stay on topic.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 08:33:19 pm »
I'm sorry, I forgot that it took common sense to post any tips related to the !@#$% topic.
I was patronizing you dude.

"dont collect the compass in the deku tree"? That's like saying "Dont forget to go as fast as you can". It's not helpful advice, as it goes without saying that you should not get the compass. You have to go out of your way to get it.

And as for my advice of watching speedruns? It's not as obvious as it sounds. Sure, you can watch a speedrun, but if if you plan to do one for yourself, you should really watch it CLOSELY, examining it carefully and taking lots of mental notes. A good speedrunner will watch lots of speedruns and watch what other runners do.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 08:35:01 pm by Aliento »

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 08:38:27 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
MG-Zero never stated that he's done a speedrun of OoT before.  If we are to assume that everything we have to say is too obvious, one would wonder why he asked in the first place.

Not to say he probably isn't asking for more obscure tips; there's still no need to call anyone stupid.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:03:11 pm by Shefali »
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 09:09:21 pm »
Not everything you have to say is obvious, but 90% of it is.

And it seems to me that MG Zero is at least somewhat familiar with speedrunning OoT, as he knows sidewalking is faster than regular walking, and Deku sticks are stronger than the kokiri toothpick sword.

Just use your head.

Not to say he probably isn't asking for more obscure tips; there's still no need to call anyone stupid.

Ok, in that case, let me remind him of how to control the game.

First, make sure you plug the game cartrige into the N64. MAke sure you plug it into the console facing forward, right-side-up. Then turn it on.
After seeing the n64 logo and the title screen, press the big red START button in the middle of the controller. Select an empty save file by moving the big grey protruding analog stick, and press the big green A button. You will then be asked to make a name. Choose a name, and select the letters needed to spell the name out by moving the analog stick.

More later.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:16:12 pm by Aliento »

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 09:15:27 pm »
Just use your head.

Something you should of done before posting in here...
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 09:16:47 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
mhmm, you guys have been leaving some good tips, just not much i havent really thought of yet (there's been a few though.)  I've also found some other tricks to speed things up a little, such as backflipping up the stairs that you have to knock over in dodongo's cavern.  Saves climbing time.  I've got the boss routines down, I can take down gohma in 4 seconds, king dodongo in roughly 20 and I'd say about 60 for barinade.  I timed myself on it today, got an hour and 35 minutes for up to the master sword.  The speed run is today, so i'll let you know the results.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 09:18:57 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Good luck.  "Beat the opponents… Soundly! In the skirmish!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 75 queries.

anything