Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LTTP Style OOT Zora River  (Read 3188 times)

LTTP Style OOT Zora River
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:56:40 pm »
So guess what, yea you got it, i have been even more bored today, and therefore have been creating some more images. This time its Zora River in the Link to the Past style.

I would like to start by emphasizing that is is NOT an exact replica, why you ask? Simple, if you have played OOT you know that it contains many paths and hills that all rise above each other and go below. If you have played LTTP you will also know it is not possible with the graphics, so let me explain the changes.

Firstly in the entrance I have replaced all of the crossings on the river, with bridges. Secondly there are two cliffs on the right hand side in OOT, on this there is one, why? Because jumping in LTTP is a nightmare.

Thirdly a few of the cliffs in the water have been replaced with mounds of grass, this is because in OOT you have to jump to them, again you cant do this in LTTP, so I had to improvise. The log has been replaced with a tree stump (which fits the job) and the part of the river which seems to flow like a square has been shrunk into just one lane. This is because it was an unnecessary part of the map, and to save space.

Moving on, the direction of the bridge here has been changed, ready for the waterfall ahead. Other waterfalls have been moved so that they are south facing.

The waterfall entrance itself has been moved around a little and tweaked, again this is not only because of space but because of the impossibilities with the LTTP style.

I know this isnt exact, but I hope that it can be of use to some people, enjoy:

Please comment and give criticisms.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: LTTP Style OOT Zora River
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:10:20 pm »
Looks very good! How would one get into Zora Falls this way though? Would a bridge appear?

Also, I'm in the works on Link's Awakening in LttP style. So if you're still bored, I would be ok with you redesigning some of those maps! XD
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:19:35 pm »
Looks very good! How would one get into Zora Falls this way though? Would a bridge appear?

Also, I'm in the works on Link's Awakening in LttP style. So if you're still bored, I would be ok with you redesigning some of those maps! XD

I think a bridge is the only realistic option yes,

It sounds very interesting, I may just take you up on that and help you with it next week. I have had alot of time the last few days due to snow days etc. Next week is half term, so I'll see what i can do.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:28:25 pm »
We've been trying to figure out how to do it ourselves, actually. Figured rescaling the map dimensions so we'd know how many tiles we needed would be more accurate than just going with our own eyes. Not sure how you handle it.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:21 pm »
We've been trying to figure out how to do it ourselves, actually. Figured rescaling the map dimensions so we'd know how many tiles we needed would be more accurate than just going with our own eyes. Not sure how you handle it.

I go from memory, I just add bits here and there as I remember the map, and whilst I'm going I compact it all as much as possible so not to waste space. When I am done I load up project 64 and go through the area bit by bit to add anything that I hadn't or remove parts that are wrong.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:40:26 pm »
Hm, interesting. Though when coding in Hyrule Field I couldn't make Link climb the southern ladder to the lake because he was too big. I had to modify it.

Anyway, this discussion is taking away from the true purpose of the topic, so I'll continue the conversation via PM if you like.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:12:35 am »
  • Silly cat!
That's pretty much ace material.

Though the sprite for the soft soil sort of bothers me. That's basically it. Nice work :).

Hoffy.

Kingknight

SiMelon
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:07:18 pm »
  • The Hunter
ha !@#$% epic nice one ;)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:27:51 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I don't like the top-right area.  First of all, it looks nothing like it does in OoT.  I know you're not going for 100% accuracy, so it's not that big of a deal…  But the opening in the waterfall looks inacessable, so that should be fixed.  Maybe your intent was that you can swim up the waterfall to reach the passage?  If that's the case, I would put a ladder there instead, just so it's more obvious that you can get up there.  And the small pond where you dive into the Lost Woods looks really bad—it's a perfect rectangle, it should be a circle.  Also, it's shallow water; how do you dive into shallow water?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Looks nice;

As mentioned previously about the waterfall however-

The cliff should come up flush with the entrance tile. There should be no tile gaps between the cliff above the ocarina spot and the waterfall tile. The idea is to give the appearance of the waterfall still continuing behind the cliff, but it also lets the player simply *walk* into the Zora domain without having to guess how to get in there.

Otherwise, I like it

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 12:27:38 am »
Perfect! and since my game has cliff-to-cliff jumping, i don't need to worry about the entrance.. ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:39:20 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Link can jump six metres to get in there?  He's Superman!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 12:40:06 am »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
what about the piece of heart mid- river? and the piece of heart near the Domain entrance? I can understand not having the hearts themselves on the map, but both are on special platforms.

Anyways, cool. Nice job.

(now you should do it in Minish cap style =P )

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 01:43:45 am »
I think, with a map as complex as Zora River, you really need to break LttP tradition and have a couple layers to it.  As has been said, the Pieces of Heart do at least need ledges to sit on.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:08:39 am »
I think, with a map as complex as Zora River, you really need to break LttP tradition and have a couple layers to it.  As has been said, the Pieces of Heart do at least need ledges to sit on.

Possibly you do, but the issue is due to the major complexities it would go far from the lttp style all together, and would become a matter of some similar sprites and the same pallet, which was not my intention.

As for the heart pieces, i was hoping to perhaps put them on the little mounds in the middle of the water, but I am aware they are not accessible other than by hookshot in OOT. I may add inaccessible ledges for them later on.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 12:04:23 am »
Majora, here's a present for you. I recently found out how to do this in like 5 minutes.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 10:17:55 am »
Majora, here's a present for you. I recently found out how to do this in like 5 minutes.

Thank you VERY VERY much, may I ask though, how?
  • Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 01:22:11 pm »
GIMP has a tool called zeaous crop that erases all transparency and brings te image together. I simply got rid of the pink gridlines and used that crop.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 71 queries.

anything