Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [NEW DEMO V.2] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Oracle  (Read 26811 times)

[NEW DEMO V.2] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Oracle
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:05:03 pm »

The Legend of Zelda: TLO is a short fan game I'm throwing together in my free time mostly
in order to perfect my coding skills. I already have a pretty solid moment engine programmed
and currently working on sprites for new enemies. :D

Screenshots

Newest Video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFdckpq-Ww" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFdckpq-Ww</a>

Enemies

Newest Demo
[urlhttp://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/legend-of-zelda-the-last-oracle/32767/[/url]

Q & A
1) Another game with custom sprites! Who's spriting all of this? Do you have other team members your working with?

The games art is actually a mishmash of multiple sprites taken from various games. The link sprites are actually taken from a well known artist on Deviant art named http://gregarlink10.deviantart.com/ who has also posted a couple other characters free to use on his page including a full Ganondorf sheet and the beginning to a Zelda sheet. I plan on using both in the full version. I am personally spriting a lot of the enemies from the Zelda 2 NES game simply because I couldn't find any higher quality versions of the sprites. Examples are the Red Daria enemies, Deku scrubs, and a couple bosses from the classic.

2) What are you writing this in? Is this on Game Maker or some other language?

I'm writing the engine in Game Maker: Studio.

3) Is there anything you want to say about the game's storyline?

I have just recently implemented a textbox system into the engine and have begin writing a short story for the game. The games quest is centered around 4 spiritual stones you must collect from the fallen Oracles defeated by Ganondarf. The Oracles were once the guardians of the land, with them gone Link is the only hope to restoring balance in the land of Hyrule. However, Legend has it that a 5th Oracle exists. Finding the Last Oracle may be the key to defeating Ganondorf. ...That's all I got so far lol

4) Not many fan games really take on the Zelda II style. What made you go for that?

Well, I actually coded a very basic, on room, side-scrolling engine using the Link sprites. I coded a Ganondorf battle just for fun. I thought the engine was so fun that I would keep adding to it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:53:52 am by Sirbrownie »
Re: Legend Of Zelda: The Last Oracle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
That looks really amazing!

Here are a few things I'd suggest:
- Ruppees should be falling faster from the bushes
- The colors are a bit too dark, I believe you should try making the "light zones" bigger, or allow the player to increase the brightness for dark screen
- When striking a monster, the color should change according to the monster (it should be green for the green blobs)

I really like the atmosphere and the graphics, and the gameplay looks really smooth. And the music is great!
 I can't wait to see more! :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:18:25 pm by Lzard »
Re: [Demo Added] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Oracl...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:57 am »
Thanks man! I'm glad you like what you see! 8)
Thanks for the notes. I turned up the brightness a little bit, made the rupees fall faster,
and added colored blood for the blobs!
I also added a playable demo. There isn't much to explore in the demo, just a basic engine
to test the controls. Check it out if your interested I'm looking for more feedback

DEMO
https://www.sendspace.com/file/i7nruh
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:36:44 am by Sirbrownie »
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:53:01 am »
Really good as I thought :P

- The controls are a bit weird... Why using WASD to move if the mouse isn't used? (Adding a way to let the player to set the controls is always good on a computer game)
- The light animation should be smoother... Maybe try to slow it down?
- The rupees and heart should stop bouncing after 3-4 bounces, it looks really weird
- It would be nice if Link wouldn't stop for a split second when falling of an edge of only one or two tiles :P
- The screen shouldn't shake when the boomerang hits something, it looks like a boomerang hit is as strong as a sword hit

Also a little bug, when bouncing on the red blob, I somehow got stuck onto the ceiling, like if I was walking on an invisible floor...

That's a really good engine, and I like the gameplay of it. Really, great job!

AimesGames

Aimes Games: Zelda fan games.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:05 pm »
  • Zelda fan games.
I agree with Lzard.  :o

-The controls would be fine if space bar wasn't used.  WASD+Space bar feels really awkward. So I'd prefer the arrow keys, please!
-I have no other cons to report.  It feels weird playing with WASD and space bar.
  • AimesGames's Website

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
WASD + space bar is used in several games. Just fyi.

Also why would you put two bullet points if they're exactly the same thing?
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:00:44 pm »
I actually have a different control configuration coded into the engine using the 'arrow' keys, only I have yet to implement a way to switch between the options. I will add arrow support in a future update down the line. I actually don't even use the keyboard all that much when testing. I have my ps3 controller configured through joy2key.

I fixed the lighting to a stable light point and got rid of the flickering all together. I actually like it better that way.
The rupees were kind of odd now that you have pointed it out Lzard  :P So now they just sit on the floor upon collision.
Shaking screen is removed on boomerang damage. As for the landing pause. Ill have to work on that a little more.

Added Bombs

Bombs were a bi@#% to code.
Work has begun for the overworld navigation. Think Zelda 2. I have only tiled a small section for the map.
I plan on adding 4 total dungeons. "I don't want the game to drag out two long.

OverWorld

Menu Screen Mockup

The Menu screen is only a mockup right now. "I don't actually intend to code that many items
into the engine" Ill be posting a second demo sometime next week for sure which should include
the overworld so far, pause menu for item switching, and at least one more enemy.
"I completely erased the red slime object. Could unglitch the problem. "

AimesGames

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:01:21 pm »
  • Zelda fan games.

And what games would those be?
They are also not the same thing and they aren't bullet points.
  • AimesGames's Website
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:04:36 am »
New Trailer! Showing Off Some new features!

Gameplay Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry89ymh_4XE&list=UUl9J-Rlo0MhFFufVkNZeCAw

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:49:19 am »
  • www.mouffers.com

And what games would those be?
They are also not the same thing and they aren't bullet points.

http://www.giantbomb.com/wasd-movement/3015-472/

Several shooters and MMORPG games for starters. World of Warcraft off the top of my head. I recall several other 2D games in my time as well with WASD and space (Child of Light?). Either way, it's a valid standard in the gaming industry. I understand you don't like it or if it feels awkward in this setup. Personally I feel it's fine since I'm used to this setup as a whole. You are right in the sense that since the mouse is useless however, that one would not naturally want to lay their hands on WASD+space. However, get more experience with games and you'll notice the natural..."I lay my hands on WASD even when I'm not gaming" habit.

Also yes your two statements are the same. You go about how awkward the setup us twice. And yes they are equivalent to bullet points. End of discussion.

AimesGames

Re: [New Trailer] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Orac...
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 01:31:25 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
That was rude.  I don't I want to continue being a user here if I am going to get that disrespect.

Also, to sirbrownie, thank you for validating my opinion about the controls. :)
  • AimesGames's Website
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:11 am »
  • Personal Saucier
I thought about it, then made the decision that this place was the best place to post this.

http://imgur.com/a/OhYyi

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 03:16:03 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
That was rude.  I don't I want to continue being a user here if I am going to get that disrespect.

...what? XD If you think this is me being disrespectful and rude, you don't...know me. You don't ever want to see me be rude because I guarantee you it will make you feel pitiful, and I don't like doing that to people without reason.

I want to clarify: your opinion on controls is valid. I was just pointing out that the developer's controls are equally valid. I'm trying to inform you that this is a standard and it works as well. Personally, I feel like these controls for this type of game work better because, as a right-handed person, I rest my right hand either on my mouse or on the right side of my keyboard and the left hand on the left side of the keyboard. Hence why wasd + space (thumb resting on space) works naturally for me. It was awkward at first, yes, but things like this come with time. I could not play with arrow keys.

Bring the problem up directly with me next time, alright? I'm a very cute, bubbly, adult woman who likes games, programming (oh hey I'm a game developer btw what up), and probably a lot of other really fun things that make people happy so don't feel scared to confront me.

Edit: the end of discussion thing is to not continue an argument t about bullet points. Good lord.

AimesGames

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:24:10 am »
  • Zelda fan games.

...what? XD If you think this is me being disrespectful and rude, you don't...know me. You don't ever want to see me be rude because I guarantee you it will make you feel pitiful, and I don't like doing that to people without reason.

I want to clarify: your opinion on controls is valid. I was just pointing out that the developer's controls are equally valid. I'm trying to inform you that this is a standard and it works as well. Personally, I feel like these controls for this type of game work better because, as a right-handed person, I rest my right hand either on my mouse or on the right side of my keyboard and the left hand on the left side of the keyboard. Hence why wasd + space (thumb resting on space) works naturally for me. It was awkward at first, yes, but things like this come with time. I could not play with arrow keys.

Bring the problem up directly with me next time, alright? I'm a very cute, bubbly, adult woman who likes games, programming (oh hey I'm a game developer btw what up), and probably a lot of other really fun things that make people happy so don't feel scared to confront me.

Well sure you didn't use hurtful words, but putting "end of discussion" at the end because I disagreed with you isn't very polite.  Anyways, I forgive you.  It made me mad, that's all I am saying. v-v
  • AimesGames's Website

AJAX

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 04:42:44 am »
Aimes, piece of advice, you're stressing out over something petty(non-trivial). Don't worry about it, move on. Anyways, focusing back on the actual topic, this is fairly awesome. The throwback to Zelda 2 is something I feel is needed. Though, your art style is a little flat and the lighting could use "some" work. I think the lighting can be solved if the art is improved. Like right now the houses... just look weird. And I mean weird because of maybe how they just stand out. Everything else is dark.. hmmm. Other than that, everything else is !@#$% awesome! :D
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 04:55:26 am »
Thanks DICKBUTT! I know what you mean by the overall graphical style. I am really just a programmer. I kind of pieced the sprites together from various games and other fan zelda games I found out there. The houses are from a naruto game on the DS believe it or not.

I posted a new gameplay demo up on Gamejolt!
Looking for feedback on the engine from Zelda fans.

http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/legend-of-zelda-the-last-oracle-gameplay-demo1/32767/

AJAX

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 05:29:51 am »
Well !@#$%. That's better than what I could do, as a fellow programmer! My hat is off to you, for improvising like a boss. Unfortunately I cannot test right now but I'll be sure to provide input tomorrow, man. :D Great to see developers still making fan games.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 03:24:03 am »

Bats, Red Daria, Deku Scrubs, Treasure Chest, 1st Temple will all be in the next demo.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 03:39:02 am »
  • www.mouffers.com

Bats, Red Daria, Deku Scrubs, Treasure Chest, 1st Temple will all be in the next demo.

Your game's coming along very nicely, my friend. Good job!

AimesGames

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 05:42:48 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
 :o

It looks so, so amazing.  I am hyped.  I am going to have so much fun playing this, I can tell. ^o^
  • AimesGames's Website
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 78 queries.