Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation [SOURCE]  (Read 82204 times)

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2012, 04:21:48 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
The season are in effect? I'm playing it.
Not yet.  The latest demo that's available is back from August last year or whenever NCFC was.  :P

EDIT: Here's a gif with the finished seasons:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:53:23 pm by TDWP FTW »
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2012, 09:31:29 pm »
  • It's just Max.
That's pretty awesome, VERY in depth. A couple things don't make sense to me, like that it starts snowing before the trees loose their leaves... And branches. Or that the sunlight is more slanted in summer than it autumn, and that trees bud before their leaves take place, but it's just a couple little things like that. Well, the times when the trees loose their leaves is kinda a big head scratch to me, because when Im from the leave fall during... Fall, but if that's the way you want it, go for it!

Are the seasons a big aspect of path of revelation, or is this all just to have super nice ambience?

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:51 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
That's pretty awesome, VERY in depth. A couple things don't make sense to me, like that it starts snowing before the trees loose their leaves... And branches. Or that the sunlight is more slanted in summer than it autumn, and that trees bud before their leaves take place, but it's just a couple little things like that. Well, the times when the trees loose their leaves is kinda a big head scratch to me, because when Im from the leave fall during... Fall, but if that's the way you want it, go for it!

Are the seasons a big aspect of path of revelation, or is this all just to have super nice ambience?
Yeah.  I'm going to sort all that out when I stop being lazy.  :P  The godrays being more "slanted" in summer than autumn is just because I set the time to different hours for the screenshots.  The angle changes based on the time of day, with the sun rising in the east, and setting in the west, like in real life.

As for the seasons playing a big part in the game, they have a minor importance, and there will be seasonal events, but they're mainly just for aesthetics/ambiance.  I feel as though aesthetics/ambiance are two of the most important aspects of games (Behind environment/level design and how the game feels, flows, etc. when playing), so I really want to make the atmosphere of the game feel perfect.
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2012, 12:33:46 am »
I'm just thrilled that the 4 seasons are being added! I'm sure there is a specific reason for it, though.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2012, 12:53:26 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Yeah.  I'm going to sort all that out when I stop being lazy.  :P  The godrays being more "slanted" in summer than autumn is just because I set the time to different hours for the screenshots.  The angle changes based on the time of day, with the sun rising in the east, and setting in the west, like in real life.

As for the seasons playing a big part in the game, they have a minor importance, and there will be seasonal events, but they're mainly just for aesthetics/ambiance.  I feel as though aesthetics/ambiance are two of the most important aspects of games (Behind environment/level design and how the game feels, flows, etc. when playing), so I really want to make the atmosphere of the game feel perfect.

That sounds like a really good thing you got going there.  I love it!  Even if they played no part at all it would still be an awesome effect!

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2012, 07:15:29 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Releasing a new demo tomorrow!

Here's a teaser screenshot, although it's nothing new (Just thought it looked cool.  :P):

I'm going to be adding a proper name registration system (Where you use the arrow keys to select the letters and whatnot), as well the extended seasons of course.  There are also numerous bug fixes, although I probably didn't get a few of the ones I needed to, as I haven't worked on this in a long time.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2012, 01:31:47 am »
  • Forstride Productions
...and the demo is here!

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64934954/The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Path%20of%20Revelation.zip

Features:

- Improved name registration, similar to TLoZ.  Left and Right moves your selection through the characters (Up and Down don't do anything, so you have to scroll through the list)
 - Advanced seasons.  Early, Mid, and Late variants of each of the 4 main seasons.  For example, early spring, mid spring, late spring, early summer, mid summer, etc.
 - Removed shading overlay.  It just made everything darker and uglier, and it still looks great without it, so I figured I'd just remove it.
 - Improved menu aesthetics (Both the file select and inventory menus)

The next thing I need to do is finish the Equipment and Map menus, and then I'll probably work on finishing the remaining items and adding the equipment.
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2012, 01:33:45 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Is that the deku tree I see?

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:51 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Is that the deku tree I see?
Nope.  It's the 4th dungeon.  It's an "abandoned" treehouse called the Loftwood Tree, where the Korok race (The ones in Wind Waker) previously lived...Until they were driven out by the creature who took it over.  I don't want to spoil anymore of that part of the story, but that's the gist of it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:05:25 am by TDWP FTW »

thestig

« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2012, 03:53:15 pm »
Damn you took my godray suggestion quite literally! But it looks sexy with your particular art style. :) Loved the demo, by the way!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:38:40 pm by gm112 »
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2012, 10:56:56 pm »
...and the demo is here!

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64934954/The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Path%20of%20Revelation.zip

Features:

- Improved name registration, similar to TLoZ.  Left and Right moves your selection through the characters (Up and Down don't do anything, so you have to scroll through the list)
 - Advanced seasons.  Early, Mid, and Late variants of each of the 4 main seasons.  For example, early spring, mid spring, late spring, early summer, mid summer, etc.
 - Removed shading overlay.  It just made everything darker and uglier, and it still looks great without it, so I figured I'd just remove it.
 - Improved menu aesthetics (Both the file select and inventory menus)

The next thing I need to do is finish the Equipment and Map menus, and then I'll probably work on finishing the remaining items and adding the equipment.

Your demo needs an mirror, your link is out due to over traffic :-)

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2012, 01:36:33 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Welp, it was inevitable, but I've stopped working on TLoZ: Path of Revelation for good.  I'd much rather spend my time focusing on my own original games (I've been working on a platformer, and a puzzle game lately, both of which are pretty promising IMO) rather than a fangame that could be shutdown at any moment.

So, I'm releasing the source to the game...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ai2utxpl9ki1r0b

It's a Game Maker 8.1 file, and let me warn you ahead of time.  It. Is. A. Clusterfuck.  The game is so unorganized and sloppy, with sprites, objects, etc. just out of place and whatnot.

Do whatever you like with it, and if you continue it, please give credit where credit is due, including the credits I've given to people in the opening post.

thestig

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation [SOU...
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »
Ah that's a pity. The project showed a lot of promise and was really unique for what it was worth. Though I do hope that good things come out of your future endeavors with focusing in on custom-bound games. ;p Hopefully this move is for the better.
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2012, 10:18:25 pm »
oh well..too bad you're giving up on this project but I understand where you are coming from. Maybe you will get more benefit from working on original games and we can't really disagree with your decision so good luck!
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2012, 06:15:12 am »
I downloaded the project because I was interested to find out how you handled the seasonal changes.
Are you looking for friendly feedback or advise? There are some things that instantly caught my eye that could be handled more efficiently.
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Heh, it worked, but after murdring my CPU and RAM. So Maybe you should have used Clean Memory DLL to eliminate excess data, and clean up the memory it uses.
Ini and Argument errors?
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2013, 07:04:01 pm »
Can't seem to run the game correctly. I'm fairly new to Game Maker, so I'm not sure if it's me. Though I am sure that I'm getting error messages when I try to play. Here are the error messages:

for object objLoadScreen:

INI files must be located in the same directory as the program

Trying to read from undefined INI file

for object objLoadCursorControl:

Error in code at line 6:
           if global.name1 = ""
                             ^
at position 28: Cannot compare arguments.
_________
I don't have any .ini files. I understand you're not working on the game anymore, but it seems really fun. Any help would be awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 73 queries.

anything