Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning on moving up from Game Maker.  (Read 2266 times)

Planning on moving up from Game Maker.
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:03:50 am »
  • Protecting Hyrule from the forces of Darkness!
Well I'm thinking of moving up from Game Maker 7 to a different more complex programming language.
What would be the best language for a well experienced 8 yr GML programmer to learn.
Also is there any good, by good I mean easy to learn, languages that will allow you to create games for multiple platforms?
My screenname is pronounced:
Zen-ta-wo-cot-ious the L is silent.
Visit Parnell Games
Quote from: MaJoRa
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Quote from: Zentawolcotious
Live today as if its your last.
Re: Planning on moving up from Game Maker.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:48:08 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
C# I hear is easy to learn and similar to gml.  I wouldn't know, i've never used C#.  I decided to move right onto C++.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:55:00 am »
C# I hear is easy to learn and similar to gml.  I wouldn't know, i've never used C#.  I decided to move right onto C++.
thanks, where can get the stuff I need for C# or even C++ is it expensive?
And did you just dive into C++ or did you get a book, if you got a book which would you recommend.
Visit Parnell Games
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:16:17 am »
Either Java console or C# console applications to get the fundamentals of object oriented programming first. If you have bad internet or can't afford Visual c# then go for Java, because you know, it's free, and works on many os's blah blah. Once you get a REALLY good understanding of the power of classes and objects and what you can do with them, try something harder, like something graphical in C#. Try taking a look at the tutorials made by Infinitus to understand (even though a lot of stuff is done by a dll) some things about 2D graphics.

One mistake is to spend two minutes in it then try to make a game. Understand with small tutorials first =).
the a o d c
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:26:53 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
thanks, where can get the stuff I need for C# or even C++ is it expensive?
And did you just dive into C++ or did you get a book, if you got a book which would you recommend.

I got a book, teach yourself C++ in 21 days.  I also used cprogramming.com

I'm not sure about C# compilers, but Dev C++ is free.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »
  • Minalien
Visual C# 2008 Express Edition is free from Microsoft, but there's also the SharpDevelop 2.0 option, which is smaller, but I strongly suggest AGAINST using SharpDevelop, as it just feels... clunky and clumsy, compared to Visual C#.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 09:56:20 pm »
Visual C# 2008 Express Edition is free from Microsoft, but there's also the SharpDevelop 2.0 option, which is smaller, but I strongly suggest AGAINST using SharpDevelop, as it just feels... clunky and clumsy, compared to Visual C#.

Thanks!
Visit Parnell Games
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:19:56 am »
Visual C# Express has more features and is prettier than SharpDevelop.
the a o d c
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:21:34 pm »
Direct conversion may be Visual Basic. If you're looking to go further with your skills geared toward game development, you have 2 sides to look at. With experience in GM, using scripting in engines such as the Unreal engine may be a path to go or even flash(which is fun)... to go 'hardcore' down a real path, you can go my path which is used in today's game development world:

Basic -> C -> C++

Stopping to learn Java or C# is nice for fun and all, but chances are that you'll be required to know or be familiar with the above to some degree. It's definitely harder and won't produce glorious results off the bat like GM or XNA is and those are great in their respects, but in terms of real world applications and the time it takes to fully understand a language, you may want to jump into one of the 3 above languages.

Basic and C are both procedural; my bachelor's started of in a course of darkBasic for prototyping and what not. ASM/C is used for handhelds, and C++(which is object oriented) is used for handhelds/pc/console.

Although I've had a course in Assembler and have used it in GBA development, it plays a small role and even with setting up your own engine, chances are the only aspects where you'll need it, someone has already determined what you'll need and may be as simple as a copy and paste.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 04:03:54 pm »
BlitzMAX is powerful, cheap, extendable, and multi-platform. http://blitzmax.com/

I've heard that Java is pretty easy to get into as well. It's multi-platform and free, but kinda slow. http://sunmicrosystems.com/

Or you could give into the iPhone and iPod touch hecking world and start learning Objective-C ;D. http://apple.com/iphone/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 90 queries.