Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is ZFGC becoming DSR?  (Read 9591 times)

Re: Why is ZFGC becoming DSR?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 12:53:00 am »
Its an additional feature, not a main focus.  The gaming news would have to have more than one person feeding it to us for us to become fat with it anyway.  The Weekly also builds on the community aspect, meh.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 12:53:31 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well no, you're basically saying that ZFGC is going away from the community and becoming a development site...

Well, ZFGC STARTED as a development site. A community where users can make zelda fangames and share resources and stuff.

This is middle ground. Development and community. *shrugs*

Mountains out of molehills.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I never said that it was becoming a development site. I said people come here mostly because of the community, not for the gaming news. Is there a reason to keep them? I don't think so.

So you're basically saying then that you don't want to attract new users.

Sorry, but the point of all of the changes is to make the site more useful to new and old users. There was no draw for newer users with the old forums.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 12:56:17 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
On the old site, when you went to the portal, there was old news, months old in fact. Now, you have fresh info, news updates, latest posts, project of the week, etc. And it looks better too.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 01:12:17 am »
Well no, you're basically saying that ZFGC is going away from the community and becoming a development site...

Well, ZFGC STARTED as a development site. A community where users can make zelda fangames and share resources and stuff.

I never said that it was becoming a development site. I said people come here mostly because of the community, not for the gaming news. Is there a reason to keep them? I don't think so.

Sorry, but the point of all of the changes is to make the site more useful to new and old users. There was no draw for newer users with the old forums.

Again you put words in my mouth.

Do you honestly believe that gaming news will attract new users? I don't like being pessimistic, but hell, it's true. I'm not objecting a removal, I just don't see a reason to have them. But if you really want to keep doing them, I'm fine with that, just saying it's likely not many will care.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 01:14:51 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
You people cry too much about a forum. Seriously.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 01:16:36 am »
I don't think it's the gaming news, per se, that will attract new users, but the new layout as a whole. I looks much better and more inviting than the old site. And if you want him to stop putting words in your mouth, summarize what you are saying in one sentence or be clearer. That's how he's interpreting what you're saying. This site is not becoming DSR, it's just reinventing itself so to speak.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 01:16:45 am »
Eh, you people all !@#$% to much. Locked before it turns into a flame war.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 01:17:17 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Again you put words in my mouth.

Do you honestly believe that gaming news will attract new users?
I don't like am being pessimistic, but hell, it's true. I'm not objecting a removal, I just don't see a reason to have them. But if you really want to keep doing them, I'm fine with that, just saying it's likely not many will care.

This would be putting words into your mouth. And much like my other posts, it's completely true >_<;;
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 01:31:25 am »
Meh.

It really amazes me how you guys talk as if you know the situations behind DSR/GA, along with ZFGC for that matter, when you were not there at an administrative level. Thus you have no room to talk when it comes to changes and evolving.

This extension to ZFGC was years in the running, we've been trying to formulate the prefect idea for execution of this concept, and here it is, or what we want it to be at least, aside from the need to do some tweaking.

GA's goal was to create a gaming website, out of a zelda fan game development website. With the failure of GA, which mainly was due to the fact that we had pretty much zero community support, along with a largely built up Nintendo section, while the other sections were fairly dry. I worked for DSR long before I did GA, we decided that perhaps we could at least use the Nintendo data and squish it into an already well established website, we had success with that, but we did not have success at a community level until ZFGC was finally reopened.

DSR's failure was we got to a point where we were somewhat successful, but it came down to the fact we had no staff support. No one to write reviews or previews or even news articles. The few that were, we attempted to compensate, which only resulted in falling on our asses for not having any revenue for the rest of the website. DSR was well built, internally speaking from a programming stand point.

With that said, this extension isn't at all like DSR or GA was to ZFGC. We're adding on to what ZFGC already has and attempting to make it better.. we're giving it features that improve the capabilities of the forum and now the website too. We're doing what we had wanted to do all along with it, which is make it a successful development community. We didn't Axe the Zelda aspect, we gave the community more tools to play with to better the development of their games and software.

I really don't know where the hell you guys are getting off in saying this is anything like Project-X. (Aside from it being what we wanted project-x to be originally, before the GA/DSR stuff came up).

If you don't want to be here, I'm going to say this now, don't be here. We're trying to make it what we want to make of it, which is a successful development community. We've laid the ground work for it, helios has worked very hard at it.. and so far mostly everyone as bitched about it. Which is pretty sad, considering we didn't even really change anything, we just gave you more than what you had already.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 01:40:42 am »
Sorry Helios, i want further feed back on this. :\ Unlocking for now.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 01:47:17 am »
Whew. I wanted to say that what you said was very eloquent, Vash. Your points are well said and easy to understand. I never whined about the new layout (well except the green text at first, but I'm used to it now) and really, nothing was changed. Font color, maybe, but that's it. Hopefully your post will stop this pointless arguing. ZFGC is becoming, well, ZFGC, so nothing really. It's an upgrade. The new stuff is optional. You don't have to use/read it if you don't want to. Honestly, I look forward to seeing the resource system full of useful things! I already gave this redesign this, but I'll do it again.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 01:49:33 am »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
Really, it's no where near as bad as people think it is. It's allot better than what it was before this.
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 01:53:23 am »
Really, it's no where near as bad as people think it is. It's allot better than what it was before this.

I have a bias here, but I really see nothing negative about the upgrades.. It works, it functions, it's secure.. it gives you more abilities, the API is awesome... SDK is moving forward. The only thing I feel the site has gone wrong with is the Community Project, which has given us some negativity for some wrong doings, but that wasn't anyone who's working now, that was me !@#$% up. Helios just gets to mop it up.

Also, sucking up doesn't get too far.. thanks for agreeing, but rubbing it in real nice is noticeable. :p (That's for MK)
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 01:54:27 am »
Sometimes you just have to throw !@#$% at the wall to see which !@#$% sticks.  You have to find the smell that you get used to and can live with and you have to sometimes search for new smells that might smell a little less worse or that you can still tolerate.  If that does not work, perhaps you should seek out a new wall.  The whole Internet is a shitstorm, you'll make mistakes sometimes, !@#$% happens, but you shouldn't be scared shitless to try something new every once in a while.
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 01:56:17 am »
Sometimes you just have to throw !@#$% at the wall to see which !@#$% sticks.  You have to find the smell that you get used to and can live with and you have to sometimes search for new smells that might smell a little less worse or that you can still tolerate.  If that does not work, perhaps you should seek out a new wall.  The whole Internet is a shitstorm, you'll make mistakes sometimes, !@#$% happens, but you shouldn't be scared shitless to try something new every once in a while.

<3, this is what you and I were working towards for a while, I think it's functioning pretty good.. I might be wrong here.. aside from our bitterness between each other as individuals on occasion. -- Thanks for your strange bout of agreement, or at least look on it.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 01:57:04 am »
I wasn't sucking up to you. I was being honest. >_> And the CP is still moving along. It's just not really a community project anymore...

And 4Sword's post stinks... where's the Oust...  XD

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 02:00:57 am »

I have a bias here, but I really see nothing negative about the upgrades.. It works, it functions, it's secure.. it gives you more abilities, the API is awesome... SDK is moving forward. The only thing I feel the site has gone wrong with is the Community Project, which has given us some negativity for some wrong doings, but that wasn't anyone who's working now, that was me !@#$% up. Helios just gets to mop it up.

Also, sucking up doesn't get too far.. thanks for agreeing, but rubbing it in real nice is noticeable. :p (That's for MK)

Soul was probably worried the forum would die out due to the Website add-on. Possibly do to the fact of the whole GA incident. Although with this site, it's already doing things differently in adding support for the users in that the users can upload things, and help get the site off of the ground floor.

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 02:05:55 am »
The site is fully powered by the forum.. though. That's the thing I don't get.

People will still come for discussion, it just advances the ability of users to work together.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 02:07:39 am »
  • Xiphirx
Why does this topic exist?
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 02:08:09 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Why does this topic exist?

Why does your post exist? It adds nothing to the conversation.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 78 queries.