Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyrule Town Interiors  (Read 61887 times)

Hyrule Town Interiors
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:08:47 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Okay, so while this ball is rolling, we were thinking that the town's interiors make sense to finish next. We've already got the thieves' hideout done, but there's a bunch more houses, shops, suspicious abandoned structures with maybe treasure, etc. So I've got a map of the town with all the known interiors labeled on their exterior. Additionally, if there's an NPC accepted for the place, I'll link to their topic so when we design, we know what's already established about each location.

I figure I'll just put this topic here, and when we finish an interior I'll make a note here, and then make a new topic with the collected finished ones.

Anyway, here's what we've gotta do. Question marks indicate that we've got more doors than we've got businesses, they need to be filled in with something so if anyone has ideas let's hear them.

---Hyrule Slums:
DONE - Thieves' Hideout
Cobbler/Tailor Shop - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39496.0
DONE Ingo's Pawn Shop - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39467.0
DONE Tavern
DONE Sebastian McHeadflippy and his Mother - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=40709.0
DONE - Stanley's House
? (south of tavern, near bridge)
? (adjacent to Hideout)

---Old Town Market:
DONE Old Town Cafe
DONE Ingo's Emporium - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39467.0
DONE Fortune Teller's Shop - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=40033.0
DONE? Hyrule Postage and Trading Co. - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39644.0
DONE (waiting for tileset) - Potion Shop - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39614.0
DONE Angelo the Sculptor's Studio - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=40455.0
Shooting Gallery/Ammo Shop - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39437.0
DONE Bookstore
DONE The Cleaner's House - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=40661.0
DONE Tailor Shop
? (In narrow alley west end)
? (In northwest courtyard, corner)

---Hyrule Terrace:
DONE Demi and Fructo's Candy Manor - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=40131.0
DONE Tingle's Bistro
DONE Nigel's Antiques - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39802.0
DONE Kale's Grocery - http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?board=357.0
DONE Apartments- Eugene, Bernice, and Forsithia
Gale's Gallery
? (only has a roof entrance)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:11:18 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
Re: Hyrule Town Interiors
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I guess some houses could be just normal town´s people living there who don´t have a roll in the story whatsoever, and they have chests with rupees or something for link to steal.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:16:02 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I like the way the majority of town residents in Twilight Princess and Zelda II are handled: only a few would converse with the hero in a positive manner, which seems quite realistic. I guess the same could be done with houses? Only a few of them are open to Link, but the rest are owned by people who don't take kindly to thieves?
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
Potion shop
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Here is the Potion shop completely made up by me!
I had an idea for Syrup and someone else running this shop.
This could work like in Wind Waker, you bring Chu-Jelly to Syrup and she makes the potions for you, but the man ( Wizzrobe/Hylian Husband?) sells them to you.
I made it two floors since in the Town, the building has two floors.
What do you think?
The empty pots get filled with their respective potions after bringing her Chu-Jelly.

This could be like a little sidequest also, they first start out with no Chu-Jelly, and the shopkeeper tells you to bring some since they have run out. After bringing the three types of Chu-Jelly, they give you something in return.

And if they where married, this could mean that Maple is their daughter? Just an idea.

Also, do you like the skulls in there, or should I change them to pots?

Max, Can you edit the main post and add this in?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:00:35 pm by Spritonic »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:37:57 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
If someone would make a TMC-style sprite of the guy from ALttP who sells you potions, that could work for the "dad" character.
Hmm... who do we know who can make TMC-style sprites..?  'Jv'J
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:53 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
If someone would make a TMC-style sprite of the guy from ALttP who sells you potions, that could work for the "dad" character.

Do you mean this guy? (Its Maple from the GBA version)
In the original version its Syrup
Old Town Cafe
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Another indoor map for coding!!

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 06:41:14 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!

Yes. I know it's supposed to be Maple (they changed the sprite in the GBA remake to use Maple's design from OoX), but the older design is ambiguous enough that I used to never be able to tell what the person was (guy or girl, old or young).

I dunno, it was just an idea.  :-[

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:42:25 pm »
  • Just call me Brad

Yes. I know it's supposed to be Maple (they changed the sprite in the GBA remake to use Maple's design from OoX), but the older design is ambiguous enough that I used to never be able to tell what the person was (guy or girl, old or young).

I dunno, it was just an idea.  :-[

I tried something for the old guy!
What do you think?

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 06:53:38 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Actually, that seems to work. The hat looks a bit too small, though, for his head.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:38:17 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
He is a small guy!  XD
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 12:02:30 am »
  • It's just Max.
Okay, so as I mentioned in that other topic (sorry for accidentally temporarily deleting this one, m'bad.), we can't have Syrup running the potion shop because it's run by a chemist.

But, thinking about that today I heard a radio story about developing film and it gave me an idea for a couple characters and a sidequest (which I put here: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=41380.0 ). If we decide to accept these characters, then we could put a few bottles of miscellaneous chemicals in the upstairs and it'd have a purpose to go along with the chemist character. Opinions?

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:38:24 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Have chemistry sets and beakers to fit with a chemist? Sounds plausible. But maybe you'd end up calling him an alchemist instead, since that term is more inline with the time period that Hyrule is supposed to reflect (European middle ages), and chemists (non-alchemy) didn't come around until closer to the Renaissance period.

Potion shop 3.0
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:01:17 am »
  • Just call me Brad
I REALLY like this version! I made it only one floor, and added bottles and "Alchemist" stuff.
What do you guys think?
Apartments
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 04:00:04 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I did the three apartments of the hyrule terrace.
The last one belongs to Eugene and the second one I thought could belong to the poet lady in Minish cap? Just an idea to bring an NPC from Minish cap into the "?" houses.
What do you think?

EDIT: It is just a mockup, I might change the walls and the floor to make them more elegant, since they belong to a richer area, but if you like it the way it is, then it will stay that way.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:05:41 pm by Spritonic »
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 05:37:32 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I like the potion shop! It's got a great combination of mystery and science, it's appealing. I tinkered with it a little, and added in barrels of the 3 potions you can buy, threw a beaker on the table. Not that I didn't like the candles, I just wanted room for the barrels of potion :p

Anyway, about the apartments- yes, it would be nice if they could be distinct from the other buildings you've done so far. Maybe some combination of different floors or walls or rugs. We want some variety in the interiors. As far as Percy (which by the way, I always thought was a guy because of his name), I'm trying to avoid just tossing some random dude into a house because all the other NPCs go through the NPC forum, get accepted/rejected, and we know a lot about them which helps with planning sidequests and dialogue. Feel free to submit a character over there, though:
http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?board=355.0

As far as the books go though, I honestly think they'd be better suited for Eugene's house. He's a judicial clerk with an obsession with catching Ingo doing something illegal, so it makes sense that he'd be going through tons of law books and court cases, maybe Ingo's tax forms and receipts, trying to find something-anything- that would allow him to arrest Ingo. That's pretty much all Eugene does, I think, so books and papers might make more sense in his house.
Pawn Shop
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 06:28:07 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I like the potion shop! It's got a great combination of mystery and science, it's appealing. I tinkered with it a little, and added in barrels of the 3 potions you can buy, threw a beaker on the table. Not that I didn't like the candles, I just wanted room for the barrels of potion :p

Anyway, about the apartments- yes, it would be nice if they could be distinct from the other buildings you've done so far. Maybe some combination of different floors or walls or rugs. We want some variety in the interiors. As far as Percy (which by the way, I always thought was a guy because of his name), I'm trying to avoid just tossing some random dude into a house because all the other NPCs go through the NPC forum, get accepted/rejected, and we know a lot about them which helps with planning sidequests and dialogue. Feel free to submit a character over there, though:
http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?board=355.0

As far as the books go though, I honestly think they'd be better suited for Eugene's house. He's a judicial clerk with an obsession with catching Ingo doing something illegal, so it makes sense that he'd be going through tons of law books and court cases, maybe Ingo's tax forms and receipts, trying to find something-anything- that would allow him to arrest Ingo. That's pretty much all Eugene does, I think, so books and papers might make more sense in his house.

Wow max!! That is way better!!
I will see what I can do for the apartments and will change the book room for Eugine´s.

Now I tried to do the Pawnshop. I added the showcases from Vasu´s shop in the Spriters resource made by Yue. I think it looks nice, what do you think of the mirror on the back? Does it look nice?

Tell me what you think.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 06:40:33 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Dude! I think the mirror is awesome! Nice work.

The glass cases look good too, but I think they're more appropriate for the Emporium (the nicer shop Ingo runs in Old Town.), same with the nice potted plants, they're classy and seem more like a rich thing. So this could work better for the Emporium, except that the door would need to be moved over, maybe a window could go where the door is now.

For the pawn shop, we should probably stick with the rougher wooden shelves, with random junk on them, maybe some stuff from Ezio's (was that the hat's name? Or the dude from assassin's parkour) workshop in Minish Cap. Random junk the poor people sold.

Also, for gameplay purposes, we should have a wooden shelf in the Emporium, because there are going to be items Link can purchase there, like arrows and bombs and maybe an ammo upgrade sometime. Perhaps the glass shelf in the center can be wooden with for sale stuff on it, and curve around so when Link isn't allowed in the back room, Ingo can block it off.

But again, that mirror I think is perfect.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 06:41:31 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Looks pretty fancy for a pawn shop. Is this to be located in the richer part of Hyrule Town?

If not, then approximating Clock Town's Curiosity Shop would best get the feel of a pawn shop, IMHO.

Max beat me...  :(

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 06:48:12 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Yeah but I didn't think about the curiosity shop! That's like a perfect example of what it should look like!
(Except have a way into the back where the mirrors are.) (Well, I guess the curiosity shop did have that, actually.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:50:31 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 77 queries.