Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda Future  (Read 18323 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: Zelda Future
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 12:48:06 am »
Link needs sunglasses.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:50:04 am by Jeod »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 12:54:28 am »
Eww.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 12:56:58 am »
Well yeah that's horrible, but hey, it's what I picture a futuristic Link as.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2008, 08:27:43 am »
A wild screenshot appeared!

FIGHT | PKMN
ITEM | RUN

Kingknight

SiMelon
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008, 07:42:55 pm »
  • The Hunter
I suggest you get someone to make a better pipe than that. Sorry, but it doesn't fit into the overallstyle. But it's looking really good. :D
Keep up the amazing work.
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 08:18:55 pm »
That's a good pipe. But why is the water pouring out of it black?
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 10:01:01 pm »
It's supposed to be oil, to make the place look a little grimy, but now that I think of it, brown would be a better effect.  I could just make the whole reservoir brown water to dirty it up.
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2008, 10:07:03 pm »
It's supposed to be oil, to make the place look a little grimy, but now that I think of it, brown would be a better effect.  I could just make the whole reservoir brown water to dirty it up.

Then it'll seem like Link is in a sewage system or something. D:
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 04:25:19 am »
That gate leads to the sewers, so that's the look I want anyway.
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 05:35:13 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
King, it fits fine.

Also, maybe to simulate oil leaking out, perhaps make patches in the water or make the water a more murky-black color?

Edit:

Just a quick mockup of what I was talking about with the murky water. I just used the colors from the pipe and such, you can use whatever.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:40:00 am by Zidane »
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2008, 06:34:20 am »
Awesome.  Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I meant.  That is hot.

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 03:37:59 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
this looks like it might be interesting.
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 04:37:05 am »
I just found out about this project and was intrigued. I couldn't help but do a quick concept drawing in Flash of what I would envision a future Link to look like.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 09:48:02 am »
That looks pretty similar to our concept art, actually.  Great minds think alike.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 11:26:27 am »
Any coding progress yet?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2009, 01:35:27 am »
I wish I could say yes, but my programmer is about as reliable as rusty handcuffs.  Nothing's done besides basic stuff.
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 09:17:34 am »
A Zelda set in the future. It sounds as if  it has a lot of potential for going really right and for going horribly wrong. The Legend of Zelda series has always had a medieval setting and to suddenly thrust it in a setting that is even futuristic for us could ruin the Zelda charm completely if done wrong. Nonetheless Nintendo themselves have been bringing in a technological revolution in the Zelda series, even if it is a small bit.
In Twilight Princess they introduced the spinner which has a look of a construction from many gears. Even the constructions in the Sky Palace where you have to use the double clawshot has an air of technological. In the Phantom Hourglass Nintendo went even further and introduced a Steamboat. Steam power is really something of the Industrial Revolution and it could have been disastrous for the medieval charm. I was pleased to see that it fitted so well.

Letting Zelda take place in the future is a great idea, but can also be disastrous. I wish you all the luck with making this game.

About your HUD. I like the hearts and the Magic Bar, but I wonder how you will show rupees (if your still using rupees in the future). With the buttons I have to put some question marks. The form is nice and it has a more futuristic feel, but they are also really big. And because they are one connected surface objects and (ranged) attacking enemies can be obscured or even hidden. This means that you should be careful with designing your world. Or you could do two possible things: 1) make the buttons a bit transparent, or 2) make the buttons smaller with possibly some open space between them.

From your button interface I can deduce that the X will be used for the sword (only the sword?), C for an additional weapon/item (only an additional weapon/item?) and Z for context sensitive actions. Personally I prefer to have 2 weapon/item buttons, but 1 can also work. Look at ALttP, that one had also 1 weapon/item button and it is my all time favorite Zelda title. But what worries me more is that you have only 1 context sensitive action button. This will require you to be carefull that you don't make conflicting context actions on one object. This is not impossible but it does limit your abilities and possibilities for puzzles. You could make X or C a backup context sensitive buttons, but you risk interfering with the sword and weapon/item actions of those buttons. What I find useful is to make a separate button for the shield and let that be a context sensitive action button. Something similar is done in the Wind Waker.

Here is some advice and things to think about. I hope you find it usefull and keep up the good work.
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 10:24:55 am »
Thanks for the insight.  I'll try to address everything I can.

In regards to the setting and the potential challenges there, I think you'll be satisfied.  I can say with all honesty that I am sure every second of the game will feel like Zelda, barring maybe the first 10 minutes of setting shock.

Rupees remain absolutely the same in function, the change being different types of "rupee cards" rather than different sizes of wallets.  As for the HUD being too large, I really can't imagine a situation where I would need that area of the screen; however, if a problem comes up, I could simply change the HUD.

The buttons are not necessarily finalized, and I'm fairly certain a second item button will be added at some point anyway.  As for context-sensitive actions, I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where you would need two buttons at once.  It is probably worth mentioning that some other functions are simply not pictured, in the same way that the Pegasus Boots in LttP were just understood to always be the A button.

I think that covers it.  Again, thanks for the input.
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 12:11:20 pm »
Oh I can think of a lot of situations where you might need a second context button. But these situations can also be altered to work with one context sensitive button. My advice is just that don't be afraid to add an extra button if necessary, because it is often easier than rewriting the core of your game. But if you have to add a dozen, well then maybe something is wrong with the core of your game. A situation that might not be so easy is swimming. I don't know if you would want to let Link swim through the muck, but you would have the swim context and the dive context. Although you probably couldn't use any weapon or sword while swimming, you could use the sword button for the backup context button.

Still with the buttons I think it is to large. The sword icon takes up the half of the button, unless you want the sword upgrades to be twice as big. You will end up with a very short prickstick for the beamsword animation or a huge swing for the upgrades. The same goes for the word 'Action'. You probably won't use a word that is any longer, which leaves a lot of open space. I know you want to distinguish the word from the button letter, but my advice would be to use a different font. Or maybe even a sprite, as the number of states is rather limited and small.
It is out of proportion with the rest of the screen. The hearts and the magic bar, as well as Link look really tiny compared with the buttons, especially because the buttons are connected without open spaces and look as one large object.

Oh yeah with pots you might want an additional context button.
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 10:00:11 pm »
Controls: http://zeldafuture.wikidot.com/controls

That about covers it, I think.  With pots, Throw will be active when Link's in motion, and Place when he's still.

I'm not really sure what to say about the HUD.  I mean, it will most likely get an update before release, at least to make it less colourful, but I really don't think the problems you're talking about will come into play.  It seems to me that it doesn't take up much more space than the hearts and magic, and I can't really see that area of the screen being used in a big way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 74 queries.

anything