Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dev-C++? what is that?  (Read 1527 times)

Dev-C++? what is that?
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:16:25 am »
After I installed "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0" I can't remeber what "Dev-C++'' is. :P Does anybody else here have Microsoft Visual C++?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:29:44 am by 4Sword »

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
Re: Dev-C++? what is that?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:27:59 pm »
TURN BACK.

Visual C++ 6.0 doesnt compile all C++ code.

Its old...and it will INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR, and give you warnings where you shouldnt get them, and not give you warnings where you should get them.

I used it for over a year trust me!

Because Microsoft make devlopers pay fore new releases rather than upgrade, this sad piece of non-standard not-C++ anymore crap is still floating around, and in widespread use.
sad.
Very sad.

Just imagine you wrote a big library, and wanted to share it with everyone, only the only person who could compile it was you.
Or say you wanted to write some awsome metaprogrammed libraries, but they didnt work because partial specification and covariant return types hadnt been invented when 6.0 was made.

Intellisense and browse-details is all you've got to look forward to, and although when i quit i missed it like a drug, i soon got over it and feel im actually better withought such things.
I organise my code more properly, simplify it, and can find things just as quick (and not get pissed off when it does work, eg: after an '>' operator, intellisense doesnt work unless the a>b is wrapped in brackets like so (a)<(b) ... And many more quirks which infected and damaged my programming habits: Most noticably having massive stretches of code in one big file, because i had browse info to take me to functions).
Its much better to be able to use your code just as fast based on its intelligent naming choices, and well arranged files and chunking.
That way, using the code will be easier for you, and others.
..Just disable DevC++'s fat-shady member-window, or get Code::Blocks and do so with its.

...Or buy VC++7.0 if yourdesire to become lazy, and have less need to write competent and -abstract memorable names (going against all that c++ programming stands for) is making you sweat with anguish, fear and excrutiating pain.

>.<.

( Its all real harsh, but its all really real. )

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 03:29:57 pm by aab »

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:37:37 pm »
lol that hurted XD I really thought I had now the right stuff so I should stick with Dev-C++?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:42:33 pm »
@aab: hehehe, I remember when I was having a conversation with you, you were ranting on about the problems with VC++, its quite funny really that you could manage to get errors in whitespace XD
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:10:26 pm »
  • The Broken King
@aab: hehehe, I remember when I was having a conversation with you, you were ranting on about the problems with VC++, its quite funny really that you could manage to get errors in whitespace XD

a guy in my class has had that problem. What happens is that if you copy and paste the code from somewhere else (with him, it was a a word document) other than notepad, it could have hidden characters that you don't see in your coding window. So whenever you copy and paste stuff, copy it into notepad first, then into C++.

As far as Visual C++...@ Aab: they have version 8 out now. I know that there are ways you can get the full verison free (half of my class has it now :P) but you really don't need to. I've looked at feature charts, and the Express version has pretty much everything I need at the current point. You can get them for free at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/express  (they being Visual C++/C#/VB/J# 2005 Express).
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:12:01 pm »
TBW: Should I get that version?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 08:53:38 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
wow, TRW i didn't know that O_O

that would explain a lot.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 11:52:28 pm »
As far as Visual C++...@ Aab: they have version 8 out now.
[sarcasm]Sorry i was on the moon for the past couple of years and didnt hear[/sarcasm]
lol its been out longer than i've been programming in C++. ::)

Initially it was to stop working in November lol.
Took a great deal of searching to find such a detail.
I suppose that was over a year ago though. Things could have changed. Before they actually released express (when i was looking for my first C++ IDE) they were selling it for like $50.

*searches*. I've now confirmed for myself that they are permamently free, and have limitations which affect the development of large (ie commercial) projects, but not learning-ones. Basically what people here would want it for.

You'd also risk having to download a many hundred MB platform software development kit: Which is fine if you want to use it. If you ever desire to use MFC or ATI, download seperately. I dont think MS wants them to be used anymore lol.

The download size is like a third what it was when i downloaded it years ago: Thats nice lol.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 54 queries.