Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from RPG maker to Game Maker?  (Read 2104 times)

Moving from RPG maker to Game Maker?
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:15:21 am »
  • It's just Max.
Hey, does anybody know how easy it is to switch from working on RPG maker to working on game maker? I've been using RPG maker for seven or eight years, so I'm hesitant to switch, because I feel like I just want to make one game, and then I'll be busy with other things, and I don't know it switching programs is an undertaking that would be worth it. Is game maker easy enough to make a custom game without too much coding knowledge since everybody seems to have zelda engines?

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
Re: Moving from RPG maker to Game Maker?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:11:11 am »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
I use to make games on rpg maker, but when I got the concept for my current Zelda game, in other words, how everything was going to be set up, it wasn't going to work on rpg maker.  I moved to Game Maker, it is a little hard to get use to but if you work around, learn coding, read scripts, etc. you will be able to get the hang of it.

I would say give Game Maker a chance, among the other game making programs, I consider this one a bit easier(well i haven't try the others though :p)
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »
  • Let's do this.
I used the RPG Maker 2 years.
And I decided to switch from working on RPG Maker to working on Game Maker because of freedom(scripts...).
Before I use Game Maker I used the RPG Maker 2000.
I think if you are a coder it would be easy to switch from working on RPG Maker to working on Game Maker.
When you switch you have to learn the Game Maker, but for a good coder with the RPG Maker it is not a big problem.
This is one of many tales Hylian lore speaks of...

Click here to check out my Deviantart!
  • Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:37 pm »
  • Minalien
RPG Maker XP (and I believe VX) have scripting as well (and I'll take Ruby over GML any day of the week). Still, it's good that you're looking at other systems - RPG Maker's still quite limited. Depending on the direction you're planning on taking with either a game development hobby or career, you may eventually want to look in the direction of native programming languages, such as C++.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Personally I think game maker is a perfect platform for casual/hobbie programmers.  I have been using game maker for probably 6+ years and have found the learning curve to be pretty forgiving.  The drag and drop features are extreemly straight forward so with programing experience of any king behind your belt you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.  Then when you feal that you want to use more advanced features the gml code will always be there when you are ready for it.  So yeah I would say it would be a good switch for you.  Of course you can always go to a help forum such as the novice and intermediate section at the game maker community.  I can't say how many queastions I have had help with over the years.  The answers typically come quite quickly as well.  Good luck deciding!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:22:11 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:10:24 am »
  • It's just Max.
So with game maker's learning curve, how long would it take for a quick learner to make a decent zelda game. I'm not really interested in continuing to code computer games for the rest of my life or anything, I just always did RPG maker to make zelda games when I was a kid and these past months I've wanted to do it one more time. I've been working on rpg maker XP, and so far I've put in systems where you can effectively use a lantern, megaton hammer, roc's feather, tightrope walk, and climb ledges, just with the rmxp event commands. I have a sword system that will hypothetically work, but I haven't tested it yet since I reworked it so I could put in the hammer and lantern and stuff. So I'd say as far as all the technical coding and stuff, I'm like 60-75% done, and it'll just be copy and paste kinda stuff while I make the game's maps and cutscenes and enemies and stuff. So I don't know if it's worth investing the time to learn how to use game maker.

One question I've thought of, though, is how easy is it in game maker to make cutscenes? I'm most focused on the storytelling part of the game. I like kingdom hearts a lot because you kind of just watch it, it's more like a movie. I don't want it to just be a movie, obviously, but, I do want a lot of cutscenes and stuff, is that practical on game maker? 'cause I can do it in a flash on rmxp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 50 queries.