Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prey - My thoughts on the Demo  (Read 790 times)

Prey - My thoughts on the Demo
« on: June 26, 2006, 07:43:20 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
Up until recently I hadn't heard anything about this game. Then I was told the story (which is sort od ridiculous), got intrigued and downloaded the demo. In case you don't want to read the rest, I'll tell you here: it's AWESOME!

The story is basically about a Cherokee garage mechanic named Tommy, along with his grandfather, girlfriend and a bunch more random people who don't matter, are abducted by aliens known in Native American legends as the Dark Spirits. Aboard the ship, they see all sorts of weird and terrible !@#$%. Luckily, a saboteur causes an explosion which frees Tommy. He then has to search the ship and fight the aliens, along with awakening the spiritual powers of his ancestors within him, in order to save the world!

See? It's a bit of a ridiculous right? That's what I thought. The demo plays out the first bit of the game and really gives you a good feel for it. I must say that it all ties in well. The two coolest, and most unique parts of the game are the portals which are how you tend to get from one room to another and the wallwalking.

The portals are basically 2-dimensional windows into another place. You can only see them fro mthe side you would enter, but when you look through you see what's on the other side. And I don't mean there's a picture of something. It' as though the room actually is there! If you look from and angle, you'll see into the room at an angle. That's just awesome. A lot of the time they're one-way portals meaning that once you're through, you're through and that's that. Sometimes they're two-way. Sometimes the exit of one portal is in view of the portal itself and, here's the cool part, when you walk up to it and look through, you can see yourself doing everything in real-time. You can shoot through the portals as into the other room and, consequentially, shoot yourself. Trust me, I tried. It's not healthy. But it's damn cool! The only downside about the portals is that every now and then one will just appear, a guy will pop out and the portal will close leaving you with a shooting alien that appeared out of nowhere.

Then there's wall-walking. You first encounter it when you see aliens walking sideways and upside-down and stuff. Then you eventually get to these glowing ramps that you can walk on. The ramps curve upwards and sideways and upsidedown. Sas long as you're on the ramp though, you're able to walk and do everything normally. If you kill a guy that's on one of the ramps, it lets go and he falls. I thought that was sort of cool. There are also the sort of switches at one point where if you shoot them, the gravity within the room changes so that you fall towards them.

Another neat thing is that when you learn how to do the spiritual stuff, you're able to go into "Spirit Mode", which is basically you, but blue, walking around with a bow and arrow. While you're like that, your body is vulnerable, but your spirit guy is invisible and able to kill guys without them seeing you. You can also go through force-fields and stuff to get places. Sometimes wierd little invisible bridges will appear which will allow you to get places you couldn't normally. A final perk is that you also get a bird-guide named Talon who follows you around sometimes giving you hints and turns red and attacks when a bad guy pops up. The only downside is that the gravity things don't work when you're all blue spirit-y. Also, you have to keep your spirit charged in order to shoot arrows. You do that just by collecting the souls of dead guys.

Finally, there's death. When you die you go to this wierd death world where you have to shoot ghosts to regain health and spirit before you go back into the real world. When you go back, there's a hole in the ground where you can look down and see your body lying dead just where you left it. Once you're back you pop up with a certain amount of health and keep on fighting.

The multiplayer is also good though. It consists of playing in one of 2 levels in either team or normal deathmatches. That proved to be fun. Overall, the single-player demo was just under an hour of gameplay, but it was seriously fun. I'm probably going to buy it when it comes out.

WARNING: The game does have a lot of blood, and a hell of a lot of swearing. I noticed you're able to turn off the swearing in the opitions but I didn't notice anything about blood. I'm just putting that out there for people who don't like all that vulgarity.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 39 queries.