Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda Design Competition #1 - Dungeons | NEW DEADLINE |  (Read 20289 times)

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
Zelda Design Competition #1 - Dungeons | NEW DEA...
« on: June 20, 2009, 06:10:45 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
NEW DEADLINE IS AUGUST 12TH
---------------------------------
Well, it's time for the very first ever
Zelda Design Competition Edition 1 - "Can Haz Dungeons Plz?"

So what is this?
I love a good competition. People, particularly on the interwebz, have a tendency to be lazy. What better way to get people to get off their butt and do something productive than to pit them against their peers in a design-battle-to-the-death, right?

So I wanted to have some sort of competition. While looking through the competition boards, I noticed we've never really had a Zelda themed competition (well, there was one), and on top of that we have never had any kind of Zelda design competition. Design is one of the biggest aspects to making a good game; you can have a great engine, great graphics, great music, or whatever, but if the game isn't fun well, then everything else went to waste.

So in an attempt to get people to actually make stuff, we're having this competition. For this particularly Zelda Design Competition, we're going to start with the bread and butter of any good Zelda game: DUNGEONS.

So what do I have to do?
You need to design a dungeon for a 2D Zelda game. Easy right? Well, this is a competition, and there are requirements. Criteria, you could say.

Your dungeon must have:
  • At least 10 rooms/areas.
  • A mini-boss.
  • A boss located at the end of the dungeon (yes, you have to design this fight and the mini-boss fight, they are part of the dungeon).
  • An item which you find in the dungeon which helps you complete the dungeon.
  • A map and a compass.
  • A boss key which opens the boss room.
  • Two heart pieces.

Oh sweet, I can do that, I'm going to go. . .
Wait, hold up, not so fast. There's more! To make the competition more interesting, we're going to try to make all the dungeons work as if they were all from the same game. So before you design your dungeons, you need to choose one of these item sets:

Set 1 - 3 hearts minimum | TAKEN BY NIEK
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Bow
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang

Set 2 - 4 hearts minimum | TAKEN BY KREN
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Roc's Feather
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle

Set 3 - 5 hearts minimum - TAKEN BY KINGROCKER
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Bomb Bag w/ Bombs
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather

Set 4 - 6 hearts minimum
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Iron Boots
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather , Bombs, Flippers (meaning you can swim in water)

Set 5 - 7 hearts minimum - TAKEN BY Jeod and Darunia
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Ice/Fire Arrows
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather, Bombs, Flippers, Iron Boots, Silver Gauntlets (allows lifting of large blocks/other items)

Set 6 - 8 hearts minimum - TAKEN BY Jetstorm4
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Hookshot
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather, Bombs, Flippers, Iron Boots, Ice/Fire Arrows

Set 7 - 9 hearts minimum - TAKEN BY KNIGHTY
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Lens of Truth
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather, Bombs, Flippers, Iron Boots, Ice/Fire Arrows

Set 8 - 10 hearts minimum - TAKEN BY DARKLIGHT
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Mirror Shield
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather, Bombs, Flippers, Iron Boots, Ice/Fire Arrows, Lens of Truth, Din's Fire (spell from Ocarina of Time)

Set 9 - End Boss - 11 hearts minimum
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Light Arrows
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather, Bombs, Flippers, Iron Boots, Ice/Fire Arrows, Lens of Truth, Din's Fire, Mirror Shield, Golden Gauntlets (allows lifting of ridiculously huge blocks)

Along with each item set, each person needs to choose a theme for their dungeon. For example, in Ocarina of Time each dungeon was related to an element (fire, forest, water, ect) or a location (Inside the Great Deku Tree, Dodongo's Cavern, ect).

If, for any reason, there is an item you do not have access to in your item set that isn't added later on in later item sets, and you really want it, let me know (for example, maybe you want a water tunic or something).

It should also be noted that only one person may be assigned to each item set. If there are more than 9 contestants, I will add more item sets.

Ok, sounds good, but how am I supposed to show you my design?
You must create some kind of graphical representation of the dungeon. Just to make this easy for everyone and allow as many people to enter as possible, I'm not going to require that everyone use a specific graphics style or tileset to create their graphical representation. In fact, you could even draw your dungeon on a piece of paper if you really want. I would, however, like to highly encourage people to actually map out their dungeon in some kind of graphical style (whether it be MC, LttP, or a custom graphics style). You don't have to, though.

Along with your graphical representation, please also include detailed notes as to how each puzzle in each room works. This is to allow those judging to actually fully understand how your puzzles and such work. You can include these in a text file, write them right on the image, or whatever. If you are writing the notes in a separate file from the graphic, please number each room on the graphic file so the judges understand what is going on.

Ok, anything else?
To help with design, the screen resolution that would be used for this design game is 320x240. Assume that the boomerang and hookshot can go the length of 3/4 of the screen's horizontal length.

How is this being judged?
I'm still working on the details, but this competition will NOT be judged by having the general public vote; there will be judges, I just don't know who yet or by what criteria they will be judging.

When do I have to be finished by?
Before the competition starts proper, we're going to have a registration period; that is, a time for people to register for the competition. In order to keep the competition fair, competitors are NOT allowed to start on their entry until the official start date. I am actually going on vacation in about an hour and won't be back until the 27th. Due to this, registration will continue until June 28th. After the registration period is up, the competition will begin. The official start date is June 29th, and you have one month to complete your dungeon (an extension on this deadline is possible and probably likely, but I want to see what you guys can do quickly) The tentative deadline is August 12th.

Are there any prizes?
Not right now. If someone, however, wants to "sponsor" this competition, that would be cool. However, I would like to avoid any kind of monetary reward or real-world rewards. Maybe a special rank on the forums, and signature banner, or something like that.

List of Participants
1. Kren - Item Set 2 - Snow Theme
2. Jeod and Darunia - Item Set 5 - Ice/Fire Theme
3. Darklight - Item Set 8 - Earth Temple
4. Knighty - Item Set 7
5. Niek - Item Set 1 - Castle/sewer/tomb thingy
6. Jetstorm4 - Item Set 6 - Desert/Sand
7. Kingrocker - Item Set 3
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:42:53 pm by Raen »

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
Re: Zelda Design Competition #1 - Dungeons
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:39:00 pm »
I will go with:

Set 2 - 4 hearts minimum
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Roc's Feather
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle
with snow dungeon as a theme..
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:17:59 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Nevermind, working with Jeod now. ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:54:06 pm by Darunia »

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »
Hey, anyone wanna tagteam and make a fire/ice dungeon? Like you have to get the fire rod to get to the boss of the ice dungeon and vice versa. It'd be pretty sweet.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:33:49 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Hmm, I's interested. :P I'll PM you, this sounds like a fun thing to do with a team mate. :D

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime

Jeod

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 07:51:57 pm »
Set 5 - 7 hearts minimum
Item Acquired in Dungeon: Ice/Fire Arrows
Items Already Acquired: Sword, Shield, Deku Sticks, Boomerang, Ocarina, Bow, Bottle, Roc's Feather, Bombs, Flippers, Iron Boots, Silver Gauntlets (allows lifting of large blocks/other items)

Team Members: Jeod and Darunia
Style: Gameboy Color (Seasons/Ages)
Theme: Fire and Ice

**We'd like to know if we can replace the fire/ice arrows with an original item. It would be one item that enabled the player to switch between fire and ice powers.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 08:05:17 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
I would prefer you stick to fire/ice arrows, since people who have dungeons after you need to know exactly how the items work, and those are an established Zelda item.

EDIT: Also, if you guys are teaming up, please just make one dungeon, not two. 

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:08:44 pm »
We can do that, and we're discussing the new item right now so we can provide details if you want. Otherwise we'll just have to follow through with the arrows.

Jeod

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:29:22 pm »
NEW ITEM:

Darunia and I wanted to make an original item for our dungeon. But since we don't want to make it hard for the other contestants, we're going to stick with the fire/ice arrows and make our item something that can only be used in our dungeon or in a specific place. (Kind of like the Giant's Mask in STT)

If we have permission for it, our item will be a song for the ocarina. The song will summon a spirit of ice or fire, but it will also greatly consume magic power.

Below spoiler is for Raen. Do not read if you're not Raen! XD

Show content
Ice Spirit: The ice spirit will freeze the room the player is in, creating walkways over lava and encasing enemies in a block of ice. (Creates pushable blocks to set up, say, an ice puzzle)

Show content
Fire Spirit: Does the opposite of the ice spirit. It will generate a great amount of heat in the room the player is in, and will melt all ice. Depending on the enemies in the room, this effect can be beneficial or really bad.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:57:02 pm by Jeod »

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 08:49:17 pm »
  • =/
 Would love to take the forest temple and item set 1.

Jeod

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 12:02:20 am »
By the way, would it be plausible for volunteers to make basic engines for each style? That way everyone has basic stuff before the competition actually starts, and thus more people will have time to code their dungeon.

EDIT: Another question. What key items should we be using for the end-of-dungeon fanfare?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:29:31 am by Jeod »

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 03:08:16 am »
I'll go with set 8, like I said :D
Only problem is I'll be away from the 5th-10th of july, so I'll probably need an extension of sorts.
oh, and it'll be similarly themed to the earth temple in wind waker.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 05:28:10 am »
By the way, would it be plausible for volunteers to make basic engines for each style? That way everyone has basic stuff before the competition actually starts, and thus more people will have time to code their dungeon.

EDIT: Another question. What key items should we be using for the end-of-dungeon fanfare?
hmm I think with pure logic you can answer those questions :P, for the firstone, well a demo is never mentioned, so it might be a plus if you add it, >_> I don't find no problem with that.. for the second one, well, since it is not actually a game you should add anything, maybe a thong :P? correct me if I am wrong Raen.

I'll go with set 8, like I said :D
Only problem is I'll be away from the 5th-10th of july, so I'll probably need an extension of sorts.
oh, and it'll be similarly themed to the earth temple in wind waker.
I have the same problem... well, I will be really busy during july >_> so my quetsion is that.. can I start it earlier( well not only me, all the people who actually registered)? and if there is a possible change in the rules during this week to register, it is my mistake..

Jeod

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 10:37:54 pm »
Are we allowed to recycle bosses from previous Zelda games?

Kingknight

SiMelon
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:33:55 am »
  • The Hunter
I'll go with Set 4 XD

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 12:39:42 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
disregard this post.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:34:36 am by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Jeod

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 12:57:22 am »
This contest suddenly became way too complicated for being basically a mock-up contest. I was looking forward to it too :/ It's basically "MAKE PART OF A GAME WITHOUT MAKING PART OF A GAME" now :\

You don't have to code it.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 01:28:19 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
My point exactly... Yet you have to explain how to beat it and all this other bull-!@#$% :x Whatever. Just a bit disappointed.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 01:36:47 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well, I think I summed it up last time I posted about it-

A contest like this is fundamentally flawed because you can't experience the dungeon first hand. Adding more steps to it and making the contest even more difficult doesn't solve the flaw either :s

Now this dungeon idea would be cool if someone had an engine to build from, but it's far too overcomplicated now.

Jeod

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 01:42:22 am »
I don't see the big issue. It's just like writing a walkthrough. Developers have to know how to solve the dungeon too remember, and writing up a little text file won't kill anyone.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 76 queries.

anything