Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] Link's Awakening  (Read 8972 times)

[DEMO] Link's Awakening
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:00:48 am »
I've only recently started working on this project, a few days I suppose. At first I was working on a Link to the Past clone, but it was very familiar territory for me, so I got bored. Link's Awakening was something a bit different, so I thought it'd be fun to emulate. Anyways, my goal is to create a clone of Link's Awakening. I'm not sure if I'll finish it, there is no amazing motivation or drive behind the project. I'm just having fun learning Java. Oh, ya, it's coded in Java. So Java 6.0 is required to try it out, speaking of which the download can be found here:

http://dustyshouri.dreamhosters.com/LinksAwakening.zip

This is my first time posting a project, so excuse any... mistakes. No one else has really tested the game out either(and like I said, I'm new to Java so excuse my lack of ability to debug issues), so I'm not sure how it will work on other computers.

What is currently supported is:
> Mostly done movement, closely emulating the movement of Link's Awakening. This includes collision detection, as well as more complicated half-tile collision(for example, doors).
> Entire island of Koholit has already been mapped
> Working midi music and sound, including looping and volume control.
> Functional inventory, and transitions. Q is to open. S and D are mapped to the item slots.
> Some very primitive tile interaction. S currently will destroy common bushes and rocks(for development purposes) which will later be mapped to the appropriate weapons. Also terrain effects Link in their respective ways. Grass will slow him down as well as walking on stairs. Shallow water will effect Link's placement(so he appears "lower" in the water).
> Animated tiles
> Tiles will revert back to their previous tile after Link leaves that section(bushes/grass will revert back to being "grown").
> Scrolling transition from section to section.
> Selectable resolutions. F1 will toggle between 1x, to 2x, to 3x resolutions.

Controls:
Q opens your inventory
S/D are your weapon keys(will possibly be configurable later on)
F1 toggles your resolution

What I will probably work on next:
> Working weapons, such as a real sword, bracelet, bombs and so on.
> More featured HUD, with appropriate hearts, rupee count and so on.
> A working map that keeps track of where you've explored on the overworld.

Screenshots:
An actual render of the currently mapped overworld, 100% complete.

Eventually if I give up, or if I finish I may release the source code for others to use, though my code may not be a good example to learn or mess with.

edit: oh yes, and a youtube video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BL1s4xy4jY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BL1s4xy4jY</a>
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:56:44 pm by Dusty »
Re: [DEMO] Link's Awakening
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:59:19 am »
A lot of progress since the original post. You can find the latest version here:
http://dustyshouri.dreamhosters.com/LinksAwakening_v0.3.6.zip

A lot of changes and additions. Most of it was code clean-up, making things more effiecient and other fun stuff like that. Weapons are now working and in the process of being coded individually, map system, visual effects, baddies(though not really coded, only the Octorok is there and it just walks around). This video will demonstrate most of it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsfPCFlMHM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsfPCFlMHM</a>
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:48:20 pm »
wow nice effects , i especially like the part where when you move to the other side the music changes! keep up the good work!
I was googling Java programming language earlier if that's any relevance... :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:50:51 pm by Nubcake »
Nubcake now uses Purebasic!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:14:29 am »
You may know this already, but I just want to point out that the tile collisions aren't perfect. If you do a corner cut, you end up stuck a couple of pixels within the solid tile.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:04:03 am »
You may know this already, but I just want to point out that the tile collisions aren't perfect. If you do a corner cut, you end up stuck a couple of pixels within the solid tile.
This was done purposefully because that is how the collision works in the Gameboy Zelda games. It's actually more troublesome to create such flawed detection than it is to create a proper one(which I have done for my LttP Java clone).
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:14:58 am »
Wow. Even I didn't catch that when looking at the GB zelda games. And to think that I have been working my ass off for my tile collisioons not to have that!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:00:16 am »
Well, if you're interested the "collision box" for Link in the Gameboy games isn't a static shape. It changes depending on the direction he's facing. Left or Right gives him a wider horizontal box, while moving up and down gives him a taller vertical box. This lets him walk in between spaces in certain directions that his "overall" size would normally suggest he couldn't fit into(such as the space between a dresser and table, providing only 8 pixels of space to fit into, which is half the size of Link).
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:57:26 am »
You mean like a cross shape? Well, at least that idea worked for me, but I am using GM, not Java. I made it so the collision checks only at the centres of each end of the cross wherever link is facing, and it works well to get that "stuck" effect as well as fit link into 8x8 spaces.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:01:03 am »
You mean like a cross shape? Well, at least that idea worked for me, but I am using GM, not Java. I made it so the collision checks only at the centres of each end of the cross wherever link is facing, and it works well to get that "stuck" effect as well as fit link into 8x8 spaces.
Not a cross, since the detection only applies per direction. So while walking left and right you have a collision check that resembles - while walking up and down it will look like |. Simply, it changes, so it's not the same check for all directions.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 06:10:10 am »
Well, that was sorta what I was implying. When walking left, for example, the game checks link's collisions from the center of the left end of the cross, but not the other ends. It does not take in the shape as a whole, but this is sorta the idea of how collision checking would work. I could draw a picture, but I guess I have no time for that  :P.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:14:50 pm »
I know what you mean, but that's not always how collision works, hence me pointing out the difference. For example if you have constant square collision box when you move you can simply move that box instead of picking and choosing.

Anywho, this is just coding mumble jumble, and was hoping to get a bit more commenting on the project, heh.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:16:22 pm by Dusty »
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »
Well its pretty cool. But why make a carbon copy of an already existing game? Isn't it more awesome to make something completely new?  ::)
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:48 pm »
Well its pretty cool. But why make a carbon copy of an already existing game? Isn't it more awesome to make something completely new?  ::)
It's just a way for me to learn Java. Making a game from scratch(even if based on Zelda) would stretch my efforts between making all the graphics and planning the game, and the likelihood of that being finished would be insanely low. At least here I get to focus on just the code.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »
Where is Link's sword and why doesn't any of Link gear work yet?
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:16:36 pm »
Where is Link's sword and why doesn't any of Link gear work yet?
Download the later version I posted above. Also, it's a demo so you can't expect everything to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 65 queries.