Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TLoZ: Legacy of Light  (Read 5248 times)

TLoZ: Legacy of Light
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:49:50 am »

Hello ZFGC, on behalf of my small team, I am here to present a project made by me and two other members from PureZC.
This project uses Zelda Classic, version 2.5 release candidate 3 and uses a heavily altered aLttP set borrowing tiles outside of aLttP.

This quest has the initial village done here is a map: Click Here

Criticism and feedback is welcome!

Team Light Arrows:

* Shane
* Jared
* Sepulcher

Credits:

* Nintendo
* Zelda Classic Developers
* Akkabus
* Euclid
* Geoffrey
* Gonken
* Moo2wo
* Wild Bill
* Zemious
* HelpTheWretched
* VGmusic
* Cukeman
* Linkus

Majority of the members who I've credited are from PureZC.

Most information regarding this project shall be kept secret for now. I hope yous enjoy what we have in store!
    ~ Shane

thestig

Re: TLoZ: Legacy of Light
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:55:06 am »
Wow, I like the tiles you used to make this village. It looks autumn-ish and more defined than the original ALTTP style. Props for whoever made the tiles! As for the map itself in the preview, it's just fantastic. It looks really natural. You ever play Terranigma? This reminds me of the village of Crysta / Stockholm.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:08:41 am »
Wow, I like the tiles you used to make this village. It looks autumn-ish and more defined than the original ALTTP style. Props for whoever made the tiles! As for the map itself in the preview, it's just fantastic. It looks really natural. You ever play Terranigma? This reminds me of the village of Crysta / Stockholm.

Thanks gm112!

I didn't make the tiles (though I did edit a few), but I did combine the tiles to make this graphical style. I've never played Terranigma, but I guess I should be glad it reminds you of a game you've played. =)
    ~ Shane

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:02:01 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
Hope there is no rule for posting this but that looks really amazing. May be the best looking village map I've seen so far. What character sprites will you be using?
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:55:04 pm »
I hope you haven't cancelled this.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:32:14 am »
Oh don't worry, it's still in production. I'm putting progress on hold until I get back into my usual quest-making mood so I can reorganize the quest's tileset.

As for character sprites, we (the team) haven't decided. But I'll be sure to tell what sprites we will use when we decide. =)
    ~ Shane

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:51:26 am »
Awesome then. Looking forward to it.

Team Project:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 12:10:56 pm »
No development progress sadly. Thinking of pushing this back into the planning stages again to polish some ideas and the overall story more. I'll keep in touch when there's actual progress though. =)
    ~ Shane

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:03:05 am »
Understood. I could help with ideas, but not so much with story.

Team Project:
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 02:43:42 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
... This quest has the initial village done here is a map: Click Here...
I just had to pop in and say that is what I consider to be perfect tile work. Well done!

I never noticed this project until now. I myself have used ZC years ago and made a few quests with it (I think I've lost them over the years of upgrading and reinstallations of windows). However, I moved on to Game Maker because ZC didn't allow for bigger/smaller screen sizes and many other things like animation, colors, and graphical sizes. I expect ZC has improved quite a bit though? Anyway, since you're "pushing back into the planning stages", I thought I might mention that Game Maker is a great step into giving you all the freedom you need while keeping things pretty simple, just in case ZC might hold back your game plan a bit with it's limitations.
  • My Music
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 10:38:02 am »
Thanks Kienamaru, but due to my inactivity on ZFGC I never got to your offering in time before I fully laid out the new plot. Thanks for offering and support though, I appreciate it. =D

... This quest has the initial village done here is a map: Click Here...
I just had to pop in and say that is what I consider to be perfect tile work. Well done!

I never noticed this project until now. I myself have used ZC years ago and made a few quests with it (I think I've lost them over the years of upgrading and reinstallations of windows). However, I moved on to Game Maker because ZC didn't allow for bigger/smaller screen sizes and many other things like animation, colors, and graphical sizes. I expect ZC has improved quite a bit though? Anyway, since you're "pushing back into the planning stages", I thought I might mention that Game Maker is a great step into giving you all the freedom you need while keeping things pretty simple, just in case ZC might hold back your game plan a bit with it's limitations.

Zelda Classic does have it's limits, but with Zscript, I heard you can do pretty much almost anything. It's proven possible to create even Raycast in ZC, but that requires to script your own engine within ZC.

As of Game Maker, I'm considering making a project in it, but unfortunately, no matter how hard I try, I'm simply convinced coding isn't my thing. D=
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
As of Game Maker, I'm considering making a project in it, but unfortunately, no matter how hard I try, I'm simply convinced coding isn't my thing. D=

My advice is to never give up. I think I started making games when I was 13 or 14, and they had things like memory leaks (this is very bad), they were coded totally improperly, etc. And the games were really lame as well (I didn't realize this at the time, but many of my friends said they sucked, lol). But, over the years of learning and practicing, I've become much better at it, and I know a lot more about what to avoid and what makes a great game.

The thing is, I wanted to make a Zelda game for my very first game, but I just couldn't do it; it was too large of a goal for my experience and understanding of programming. Knowing this, I didn't just give up, I simply decided to make something on a much smaller scale. I think I made some sort of pacman or something instead. And I completed it. It was really crappy, but it served as a stepping stone. From that point, I kept practicing and learning as I made different games, building off of previous experience and acquired knowledge from past games I made.

Because of all of that, I know that I could make a Zelda game today, provided I just had all the resources and time (unfortunately, I do not have the time to spare).

Actually, when I first started programming, I couldn't wrap my head around code either. My older brother often helped me at first (this is in QBasic for DOS). Then, when I moved on to Game Maker, I didn't even use code, just the drag&drop (that's actually all it had at first). Later on, I learned how to convert the d&d into GML, and I eventually switched to never using d&d again. So, it might help to start out by using d&d. Then, once you're ready, go back to a fully d&d project and simply try to convert it into Game Maker Language code. That's the way I learned anyway.

This is important because d&d will become large and cluttered FAST. It's simply unmanageable in a large scale project. In Game Maker, I just can't see how anyone could make even an "okay" Zelda game without using GML.

Also, when opening up a brand new program, like Game Maker, it would be unnatural if you weren't at least slightly overloaded by all of the options. With any new complex program, you have to give yourself time to get familiar with it. Once you know your way around Game Maker well, you can focus on learning GML. Also, a google/bing search for "basic Game Maker tutorials" would probably prove very helpful for any person who is new to Game Maker, and the Game Maker help is actually how I learned most everything.
  • My Music
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:39:49 pm »
I'm actually learning how to use Game Maker 8, I learned how to design and such. =) Is it possible to create maps before coding objects and other gameplay stuff? I know coding will take a while to learn for me and plus I really want to learn the basics of Game Maker and get used to it's options and such before coding. I might try D&D but I think learning coding sooner would be the best direction to tackle learning to create games in GM.

Note though that LoL won't be created in GM, so until further notice this will remain in ZC. But I'll plan hopefully at least another project to be in GM.
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:30:04 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Is it possible to create maps before coding objects and other gameplay stuff?

Yeah. Just load your tileset that contains all of your map tile graphics into the backgrounds folder/section. Then create a room and start making your map in it with the tiles.

I might try D&D but I think learning coding sooner would be the best direction to tackle learning to create games in GM.

You are correct. I only suggested using D&D because it sounded like you were a bit overwhelmed by Game Maker, and if you used D&D it would be one less thing to worry about as you "learn the ropes". But, if you do use D&D, it's a good idea to move on as soon as you are familiar enough with how Game Maker is laid out and how it all works. I simply consider the D&D to be a means to learn Game Maker, but not to make games. But yeah, if you skip D&D altogether, more power to ya.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • My Music
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 62 queries.