Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463865 times)

Re: [Demo 13] The Legend of Zelda: Horn of Balan...
« Reply #660 on: August 20, 2012, 08:02:28 pm »
Thanks for the constructive criticism.

1. Sword collisions: I find it hard pinpoint what I should improved, but I'll see what I can do. Any further details from you or others is always welcome.
2. Altering between the two items... I'm not really sure anymore what my initial thoughtprocess was behind that. I do know nobody complained so I kept it XD I'll see about mapping individual buttons to the items. Downgrading to just one item is something I'll probably not do. I plan on connecting the lantern'' s light to wether or not you are carrying the item. Seemed like a nice little touch to add. Also, bosses or enemies requiring two items (like the water temple boss with hookshot + hammer) become much more user friendly.
3. Action button that is also cancel. Is it really that annoying? I'll listen to any alternative you might have, but I'm not for adding more buttons.
4. The enter button being reserved as the "okay" button (and inherently the sword attack). This was done so people can navigate the game with arrows, enter and esc in the very beginning. What I could do is map the enter as the secondary attack button, but have that functionality dissolve once the player chooses to map the enter key to some other function. It might feel a little counter intuitive to some though. Anybody have any feedback on this idea?
5. Items dropping with set speed only. I'll take a look at it. It shouldn't be too hard to alter.
6. Arrows blocked. Now that you mention it. Something went wrong there. I'll take a look at it,
7. Annoying health sound. Nope, similarly annoying to the original. That's not to say the original can't be improved upon. I've lowered the volume a little bit. That might help.
« Reply #661 on: August 21, 2012, 03:40:34 am »
  • Fear my Blades
3. Action button that is also cancel. Is it really that annoying? I'll listen to any alternative you might have, but I'm not for adding more buttons.
Neither am I, the way I see it there are three options:

1) Make the sword button the cancel button, which is in line with many of the Zelda games using the B button for the sword & cancel.

2) Making the sword button and/or item buttons context sensitive so they can also activate objects, like many of the portable Zelda games did for the A button.  It's not terribly difficult either, basically just detect if the player can interact with something in front of them and if not perform the normal function of the button.

3) Turn the Sword into an item freeing up it's button for either action or cancel.

By combining some of these you could even get rid of a button or two further simplifying your control scheme if you do it intelligently.

Using the Enter button on the main menu is fine, but I don't see why it has to be mapped to anything the player doesn't want it to be in game.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #662 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »
The next demo will now have the sword button as the cancel button and the action button as the confirm button.
I've also removed the pre-set functionality for the enter button (but kept the space button).

EDIT: The F1 functionality has been disabled. The text that was there will instead be readable in a readme.txt accomanying the executable.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:46:43 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #663 on: August 26, 2012, 07:47:15 am »
Just a quick progress update:

I'm also working on the green patrolling soldier. Maybe I'll have a screenshot of that guy later today.
« Reply #664 on: August 30, 2012, 07:33:14 pm »
Humph! I remember those electric jellyfish (if I knew their names, I would curse them by it). They're the most annoying enemies I have ever come across in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #665 on: September 02, 2012, 09:37:06 pm »
Here's another progress report:

0.13.05 (19 augustus)
+ Worked some more on the blue buri
+ Worked some more on the design for the desert dungeon

0.13.06 (21 augustus)
+ Lowered volume of the health alarm
+ The attack button (instead of the action button) now doubles as the cancel button
+ The enter button no longer has a preset functionality

0.13.07 (24 augustus)
+ The F1 functionality has been disable and the text has been relocated to a readme file
+ Adjusted several things on the optionsscreen
+ Fixed issue: arrows blocked by passable solids while the boomerang is not

0.13.08 (26 augustus)
+ Implemented constants to indicate the character's base state (rather then just indexes)
+ Turning a cukeman to ice and then hitting it with a hammer turns it to a buzz blob
+ No random items can be gained through burning enemies
+ Finished new enemy: Blue Buri
+ Added new enemy: Red Buri + Tiny Buri

0.13.09 (28 augustus)
+ Improved enemy and character movement script (=corner cutting mechanic)

0.13.10 (2 september)
+ Fixed depth issue sometimes occurred when landing from crashing into something and continuing running downwards
+ Object speed is no longer used for character movements. Something I've been phasing out for a while now.
+ Also improved the character movement script when flying from crashing into something
+ It's no longer allowed to pause the game while being shocked
+ Enemies can now have more then one set of defensive stats
+ Started work on new enemy: Turtle

I'll post a new screenshot or video soon hopefully. (Helped my brother move to his new apartment somewhat this weekend).
« Reply #666 on: September 09, 2012, 02:22:45 pm »
Just a little screenshot showing the latest progress (turtle and goriya enemies).

I'll probably update this post at a later time for another detailed progress listing.

EDIT:
And here is an overview of the latest progress:

0.13.11 (4 september)
+ Raised volume health alarm
+ Health alarm now starts when health is below 1/6th full health or below 1,5 hearts
+ Eyegore enemies can no longer turn to stone while in contact with Link

0.13.12 (8 september)
+ Finished adding new enemy: Turtle
+ Hitting an armored enemy with the hammer slightly pushes you backwards

0.13.13 (9 september)
+ Added new enemy: Green Goriya
+ Tweaked Turtle stats
+ Improved collisions between (some) projectiles and the character's shield
+ Fixed glitch: arrows do not respond properly to collisions with indestructable containers
+ Added new enemy: Red Goriya
+ Attacks can now also be fire attacks (no special benefits or penalties present at this time)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:42:25 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #667 on: September 10, 2012, 03:57:56 am »
Man those Goriya were a pain. They move the opposite of where you mive and the Red one spew fire at those intercepting their path.
Games that I support:

« Reply #668 on: September 12, 2012, 08:38:39 pm »
AMAZING demo! Well done indeed! I still havent finished it yet(need to get my gamepad working) but once  do, I will return with some feedback.
About the sword, I remember using an already existing movement engine and getting the sword to be 100% accurate to ALTTP when cutting a bush and it took ages to get right. Wish I still had that .gmk....
I would like to help out if I can on little things like sprite animations/speed and collisions etc

1 quick question before I go - are you using links shadow as the collision mask or a 16 x 16 sprite?
Collision seems strange.
« Reply #669 on: September 12, 2012, 09:20:36 pm »
If you want to help out with sprites and such then that would be great! I have some very specific sprite requests I could really use hand with. Shall I send you a list of the request within the next couple of days?

Getting the sword animation exactly like in the original is VERY hard because the original is 60fps and mine is 30fps. An approximation of the feel is best I can do given that.

The collisions are pretty complex. There is a mask sightly different from Link's shadow that is used for collisions while walking (= detect solids and such). Then there is a square mask roughly in the centre of Link to handle collisions with enemies in place of his body. Running also using this mask to determine if an enemy is hit. And of course there are separate collision sprites for his shield, sword and other damaging items.
Collisions on the enemy side are handled in one of three ways:
1. There is an invisible mask near the based of enemy somewhat different from the shadow.
2. The enemy sprite is used for collision checking. Or more specifically: any or all of the enemy sprites attached to an enemy control object can be switched on to do this.
3. Flying / falling / jumping enemies use the above mentioned methods to detect collisions with Link, but with the added condition that the enemy, placed at the ground, should also be in collision with the character. (I'm doing this from memory right now, but that's the idea).
That's all aside from a main mask used in the movement engine.

I'm actually planning on programming in the helmasaurus enemy some time during the next couple of weeks. To do that I'll also give the enemy sprites/masks an indicator to make them armored. This would mean that during collisions they take precedence over other sprites much like how Link's shield works in relation to Link's "body". If an arrow hits the shield before it hits the body then the arrow is blocked. The other way around means Link is hurt. For armored sprites you'd get: if a sword attack hits the armored sprite first then the attack is rejected, otherwise the enemy is hurt. This will make it possible for an enemy to be invincible from the front, but vulnerable from the back.
« Reply #670 on: September 13, 2012, 02:42:53 am »
Sure, send me the list and I will do my best :)
Collisions really do sound complicated! I wish I was skilled in coding and such but I'm still a complete beginner.
Even still, I think the shape and dimensions of the sprite mask is important for walking and stuff. For my walking collisions, I changed the mask from a shadow to a 16 x 16 square and the collisions are much more accurate to the way they are done in ALTTP.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #671 on: September 13, 2012, 10:29:36 pm »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
If you need any more proof reading done, I'll be available nearly anytime.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #672 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:41 am »
Thank you. I'm currently focusing more on enemy mechanics so it'll sadly be a while before I get to text/scenes. When I do get around to it though I'll be sure to posts what I have in this topic.

What I also can always use help with are sprites and mapping of the overworld.

EDIT: Here is the latest addition to the game:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:47:54 pm by Martijn dh »

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #673 on: September 14, 2012, 07:04:17 pm »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
Alright then. Sorry about the again. I may have confused this topic with another. But either way, I'll help when you get to it. I can't map or sprite so hmm, I'll just keep up with this. It looks great really.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #674 on: September 16, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »
Here is the progress made this weekend. It's a work in progress so I'm still using placeholders for containers, wall lights, pillars and a chest. Let me know what you think.

For context: This route is the secret backdoor entrance for the second dungeon. You enter in the upper left and the lower right exits you in the dungeon's main garden. You progress by solving some puzzles or killing all the enemies.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:45:46 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #675 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:55 pm »
Worked on the website for NCFC. Which of the following site headers looks best?

thestig

« Reply #676 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:53 pm »
Bottom one. Top is way too plain with the font.

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #677 on: September 18, 2012, 07:48:08 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Bottom one. Top is way too plain with the font.
Seconded. A plus in detail is always best  XD
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
« Reply #678 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »
Then that's what I'll go with.
You can see the current progress between the old and new website in the attachement. Feel free to comment.
« Reply #679 on: September 20, 2012, 01:00:13 pm »
The new one looks more organized.
Games that I support:

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 77 queries.

anything