Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hypothetical Time Travel: Is It Ethical?  (Read 7369 times)

Dascu

Re: Hypothetical Time Travel: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2007, 05:52:10 pm »
It is infact possible to move faster than the speed of light; read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

The speed of light is variable anyway. It's not nearly as significant as some people make it out to be.

There's other reasons why it's assumed that the speed of light in a vacuum is impossible to exceed... I'll have to do some reading up on it to check, but I don't think it's the reasons you're giving.
They're talking about the factual speed of light, not exactly the supreme constant C.
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007, 12:11:43 am »
just a bit of a grave dig sorry.

Okay, theoretically its possible. If we built something that goes fast enough it will time travel forward. Also we are constantly time travelling so a more correct statement would be QUICKER time travel, is it possible!?

Also i think we can go back in time if we come up with a way to go slower than standing still we would go back in time
Re: Hypothetical Time Travel
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2007, 12:23:43 am »
Well, the grave dig rule does not apply to that much of an extent here because it is the Debates board, but of course, there are some limits.  This is fine though.  This whole topic was supposed to be about ethics, but whatever.

Theoretically, if you move faster, then time moves slower for you.  So, you are not really "jumping" so much as you and everything around you are experiencing time at different rates. 

The standing still idea is kind of baseless and not moving would not really get you anywhere.  Sure, the shortest distance between two time periods is not moving, but the whole galaxy is moving.  So, if there were time travel, it would have to be space-time travel.
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2007, 05:41:37 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
on the two month aniversary of this i hear by decreet his topic to be open again:
I think that time travel is too complex for our current understanding. The whole concept of paradoxes is well beyond our thinking capacity right now. But hey, you never know, in 100 years we may be approaching a time where we can almost fully grasp time travel. I think honestly its a horrible waste of effort to try and time travel though, if major countries spent like billions of dollars it would be ridiculous. Plus, I would be afraid of like setting off an alternate reality or something.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 44 queries.

anything