Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Procedurally generated worlds in ~32kb (attached exe).  (Read 2222 times)

Procedurally generated worlds in ~32kb (attached...
« on: July 21, 2006, 02:53:04 am »
Imagine a heavily detailed game world... but instead of creating every single aspect of a world by hand, laying down every tile and programming every NPC's dialogue until maps and lines of code skittered up your eyelids while you slept... how about creating the entire world on the fly? Instead of creating every shop, town, monster spawn point, and npc by hand, why not set down a basic class of rules (npc's can be innkeepers, or shopkeepers, and if they're shopkeepers, they might sell weapons or they might sell armor), and then let the engine generate all the npc's for you. Randomly determine which town should be the starting point, and then make the monster spawns tougher as distance increases from that point. Perhaps set down rules to generate nation states that war against each other, whether or not you participate. Randomly generate dungeons that sprawl deep under the earth, abandoned dwarf kingdoms, and generate npc's that complain about the monsters from those dungeons, giving the player quests to clear out that dungeon and then pointing them in the direction of the next town.

This latest version includes the ability to zoom in and out at will, better panning support, a total of three different projections you can use, the ability to create heightmaps, a new color scheme, the ability to color land based on altitude (creates polar caps!), and so on. Try it out!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:13:25 am by FarFromHomeFish »
Re: Infinite, gorgeous worlds in less than 30kb ...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 02:56:23 am »
Your idea is good but if its less coding and stuff as in the normal way is what I doubt.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:05:08 am »
  • =/
Intresting. I should try an infinite forest like oblivion. That would be cool.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 04:06:16 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Lets see, to even have the engine create said dungeons youd have to make peices of the dungeons for it to randomize, so it wouldnt be much easier :P
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!

Dark Xion

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 03:59:18 pm »
I could program that for ya if u needed

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 04:25:16 pm »
  • b e p i s
For a good example of procedural whatchacallits, check out .kkrieger. It's this short little demo of procedural generation; basically, a game, and it's only 96k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:37:50 pm »
I've added the ability to render the planet as a Mollweide projection (Mollweidge better preserves area, but distorts shapes of continents). You can download it from this post, or up top.

Hyrule_boy: We should always be willing to take a chance on something new. If game developers only relied on tried and tested formulas, we would end up in a world where EA's 2006 release list included 26 sequels and only one original game. How much would that suck?

Oh, wait. EA did release 26 sequels and franchise games last year, and only one original game. How dumb is that? =) Go on, shoot for the stars, make something completely different.

Piers: I'd like to see what you could come up with. You're more than welcome to try... we could even have competing fractal engines down the road. =)

Pedlya: For nonuniform dungeons - mines, for example - the engine could generate them procedurally. For 'constructed' dungeons, yes, the layouts would have to be preplanned. I guess. That is a bummer, isn't it?

Xion: Thank you, but no, I'm not really working on this as a game, so much as just exploring the concepts of fractal world generation. My generated terrain is gorgeous, I think, almost on par with FractalTerrain Pro (though with not as many options). We'll see where it turns up. =)

Knivu: I've seen that demo, and it's truly amazing. Spore, I'm told, uses many of the same concepts. For better or for worse, 3D transformational math is beyond me, so I'll probably be keeping this 2D. But .kkrieger is lovely, isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 03:49:06 am by FarFromHomeFish »

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 10:32:11 pm »
I think it would be alot easier to do in a basic manner, but very homogeneous and risking being really boring, and so spending some time and effort to make it as good as you could would complicate things.
But hell, thats the definition of a MMORPG: The interaction between all the players is what makes it!

Something you could try: Every locked door has a key behind it.
What would be complicated is where the dungeons and such werent linear, eg: going back after getting something etc.
What you could do, is make consistent node-rooms, that have something to do with things like bosses, big chests, or walking in and going out that room loads of times, but have a grid of rooms, and generate dungeons where the nodes have random rooms between them, moving in random directions.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 10:41:12 pm »
I like your idea regarding the node-rooms; it would definitely make dungeon-crafting more feasible for the engine. What we would want to do is make up rules for everything: the more rules there are, the better the content will be. Right now, I'm trying to puzzle out how to create random towns that will still look good when rendered in engine. I already have a diablo 2-style engine on the back-burner, so converting it to take advantage of these map-building functions would be relatively easy.

The problem with towns is that they're very organic, and most of the tests that I've run that generate curved roads look like ass. So that's a problem.

Unfortunately, unless you build the world to limit the player to having access to only one new dungeon at a time, you can't really have a linear storyline like in Zelda.
Re: Procedurally generated worlds in ~32kb (atta...
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:14:43 am »
Bump: I've added a new version of the program, which adds new features like the ability to generate a properly scaled hemisphere, height maps, and the ability to outline continents in black! Download it at the top of the topic. =)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:18:01 am by FarFromHomeFish »

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:24:50 am »
  • hungry..
This is sick :P. Imagine a game where the world is different every time you play it! WTF! :D
  • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 12:17:27 pm »
Where's the download :(.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 12:50:53 pm »
  • 笑い男
i've been planning to have at least randomly created dungeons available in my game, which can already generate fields from the basic variables i give it that it needs in a script (bg music, type of area (grass, desert etc))
but yeah, i cant see no download :(

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 63 queries.