Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ZFGC Game Jam '14 - NOW OPEN  (Read 27201 times)

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: ZFGC Game Jam '14 - NOW OPEN
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 07:31:45 am »
  • Colbydude was here.

Grab a 40, let's get BEEFED
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 08:31:34 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
You can set it to use the old sound engine :P
Yeah, !@#$% that.  The old engine sucks ass.  Half the time, the built-in mp3 system glitches out which results in music being looped that should be stopped.  It has happened to me more times than I care to count.  I don't ever use that trash system anymore, nor should anyone be required to use it.  When I tell an mp3 to stop, I get "mp3 audio device blah blah blah" stuff in the console.  I've looked it up and there are no fixes.  When this occurs, a song that should be stopped continues to loop or worse - it takes the place of a sound effect.  It's not my code, it just does it. 

If it was my code, it should still be doing that glitchy stuff with the new audio engine, but it doesn't.

Just use wav files :P They're larger sure, but it doesn't really affect much outside of filesize.
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 08:50:44 am »
Yeah, !@#$% that.  The old engine sucks ass.  Half the time, the built-in mp3 system glitches out which results in music being looped that should be stopped.  It has happened to me more times than I care to count.  I don't ever use that trash system anymore, nor should anyone be required to use it.  When I tell an mp3 to stop, I get "mp3 audio device blah blah blah" stuff in the console.  I've looked it up and there are no fixes.  When this occurs, a song that should be stopped continues to loop or worse - it takes the place of a sound effect.  It's not my code, it just does it. 

If it was my code, it should still be doing that glitchy stuff with the new audio engine, but it doesn't.

Just use wav files :P They're larger sure, but it doesn't really affect much outside of filesize.

Yeah, sorry, I don't have the bandwidth to be dealing with .wav formatted songs.  Not everyone has access to dedicated internet(tethering on my phone right now with 15Kbps throttled speed) and the nearest WIFI location is 15 minute drive.  That and it's just a unnecessary waste to force huge .wavs just for some audio system now deprecated by 3 years. :P

Contestants shouldn't have to break their backs for a small stipulation.  I am sure a middle-ground can be met.  Just awaiting what the judges say.

I have a solution if Steve would post it for other GM:S users:
THe sound needs to be saved in a compressed ON DISK format in its properties in GM:S.  Then, the entire game needs to be saved in .zip or Installer format.  This creates the .exe separate from any compressed music/sound files.  The music/sound files are saved in the same location as the .exe.
I assume the game will then load on the fly as needed.  Hence, the issue is worked around!

:D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:57:45 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 09:30:04 am »
I'll be working on a puzzle game of sorts using the Gameboy graphics. If someone has a passion for room/puzzle design send me a PM to team up. The bare engine should be ready pretty soon.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:31:47 am by Martijn dh »

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
lol.

I'm glad you found a solution. If other contestants have issues please let us know (a fuss doesn't have to be started). We are very open to making your games work with the rules we set. If any other contestant is breaking their back over external audio just speak up. No fusses needed.

I'm very happy with the teasers that have been posted so far and very much look forward to seeing final results!
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 04:28:53 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

Yeah, sorry, I don't have the bandwidth to be dealing with .wav formatted songs.  Not everyone has access to dedicated internet(tethering on my phone right now with 15Kbps throttled speed) and the nearest WIFI location is 15 minute drive.  That and it's just a unnecessary waste to force huge .wavs just for some audio system now deprecated by 3 years. :P

Honestly though, using GM:S (1.3), I've had no issues with mp3s using the old sound engine :p it's pretty straight forward and works pretty easily. Although your solution to the external audio is neato and avoids the need for the old engine entirely so that's coo~

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:18 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...

I don't know why but I'm getting a slight Bonk's Adventure vibe here lol

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:21 am »

those graphics alone, ahh DJvenom done too good; pours one out for the fallen homies.
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 03:38:27 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Do whatever work around you have to to get the file therethere I'm fine with work arounds as long as the file is external.  we provided a small wav as the placeholder,  it shouldn't cause you a million problems.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

AJAX

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2014, 03:43:18 pm »
I don't see what the issue is. You're supposed to problem solvel ike any other programmer, not sit and complain about it. If the new engine doesn't allow external soundfiles, then find an alternative solution. Calm down.
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2014, 07:10:15 pm »
alternative was found yesterday.  you came late to the party.  i was calm. o.o
i wasn't stressin'.   
going back to my counter strke, now.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:12:00 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
JESUS CHRIST TFS CALM YOUR !@#$% YOU'RE TOO ANGRY RIGHT NOW SHEEEET. <3
~~~
My entry is now gimpfully playable in terms of player controls and such. Now it's about adding features. Last thing I'm gonna do is add the story !@#$% and then it'll be ready. :3
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 01:42:12 am »
I dont get angry !@#$%.  I get an angry belly button.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 06:10:08 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Trying to get a composer for mine as my 2nd person of my 2 person team huehue

WHY IS NOBODY POSTING UPDATES ON THEIR GAEEEMMZ? >:O I'm a good chunk of the way done already. Prolly be feature complete in less than 10 days maybe.
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2014, 08:11:06 am »
WHY IS NOBODY POSTING UPDATES ON THEIR GAEEEMMZ? >:O

'Cause it's TOP SECRET!!! XD

I've teamed up with Rayo for the design and we're currently determining our scope while I continue programming the engine / needed building blocks.

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 08:13:19 pm »
  • I'm Pro!
so im totally willing to join a team. willing to say the game is coming along nicely, pointing out things, and distracting. :P
  • Crim is Pro!

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2014, 08:00:25 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Ducking out of the compo :( Found out I'm training a bunch of people for my company's Beverly Hills store off and on for the next 3 weeks, and also I have vacation later this month. Best of luck to all entrants!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
That's lame.

Could you post what you completed, unless there is still a chance you may enter?

It looked like some cool Goron version of Daddy N' Me, but I never played that game.
It would just be cool to see. c:

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2014, 11:07:06 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I already posted all I had done :P
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 06:09:28 am »
Do whatever work around you have to to get the file therethere I'm fine with work arounds as long as the file is external.  we provided a small wav as the placeholder,  it shouldn't cause you a million problems.

As per Gamemaker Studio 1.4 external sound (=old sound engine) has been made obselete.
See: https://yoyogames.com/tech_blog/73

Please advice on how to procede without the option of external sounds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 77 queries.