Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking in Public - Right or Wrong?  (Read 2702 times)

Smoking in Public - Right or Wrong?
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:17:01 pm »
Well, ive personally noticed people smoking in public. Those of you that do not smoke know very much how bad it smell,s how intruding it is, and how you have made your choice to live long and not wreck your body, yet someone else is ruining it. What are your opinions on it, and do you or do you not smoke?

Personally, i do not, and never will.
  • Elliott Parkinson
Re: Smoking in Public - Right or Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:21:17 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
I do not smoke (although I have tried it several times, and several types), and at first it was really annoying to be talking to people, or to be surrounded by people that were smoking. As I grew older, I learnt how to just ignore the smoke, I tend to ask my friends to turn around or something. But if I'm stuck with someone I don't know, I just try to breath as less as I can, to inhale the less.

It doesn't bug me that much now though, I can't really say why.

Although I respect their choice of smoking, I disagree on the fact that they are allowed to ruin everyone's life, but then again, smoking outside doesn't cause much harm. Smoking in a restaurant is much much nastier and I am for the set up of regulations in public places. Here in France, smoking in trains has been strictly prohibited not so long ago, which is a VERY good thing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:23:45 pm by AleX_XelA »
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:13 pm »
Nope. They shouldn't, it is disturbing other people in many ways, so it should be forbidden to smoke in public...
I do not smoke, I have really big breathing problems and sometimes there's a lot of pain, I don't want to try that pain by smoking, and... Why smoke? I have no need to smoke? I have absolutely no need to smoke, so, I don't >_>
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:38:54 pm »
Nope. They shouldn't, it is disturbing other people in many ways, so it should be forbidden to smoke in public...
I do not smoke, I have really big breathing problems and sometimes there's a lot of pain, I don't want to try that pain by smoking, and... Why smoke? I have no need to smoke? I have absolutely no need to smoke, so, I don't >_>

I agree, ruin your life, fair enough, ruin someone elses, your officially a murderer, congratulations. About the trains in France, fantastic1 Enjoy your pollutionless (i mean less, not gone, lol) train journeys!
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:58:35 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
It's fine with me.  Certainly the government shouldn't come out and say that you cannot smoke in bars... and certainly the government shouldn't come out and say that you can't smoke at DisneyLand... let's leave that up to the people who own the property, shall we?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:59:54 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
It's fine with me.  Certainly the government shouldn't come out and say that you cannot smoke in bars... and certainly the government shouldn't come out and say that you can't smoke at DisneyLand... let's leave that up to the people who own the property, shall we?

This is more of a general talk, I believe we are not assuming this is happening in the United States, where the property comes before anything else.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 10:02:51 pm »
I own my health, which can be my property, so I can let someone destroyy my property, my health. It's like a bomb, it damages the center of it and lots of things around it...
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 10:05:35 pm »

This is more of a general talk, I believe we are not assuming this is happening in the United States, where the property comes before anything else.
I never said US, I said "government" "bars" and "DisneyLand".

And I'm just saying, if someone owns a place, even if it's a store, they ought to have the right to allow smoking if they so choose.  Don't like it?  Don't shop there.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:09:34 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
Well I believe the shop owner has to follow some regulations that have been set up by the government, thus if a law is voted, then the shop owner would have to abide, even if it's his shop. Besides more and more restaurants or public places are creating small smoking corners, to avoid interaction between them and non-smokers.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 10:11:46 pm »
Well I believe the shop owner has to follow some regulations that have been set up by the government, thus if a law is voted, then the shop owner would have to abide, even if it's his shop. Besides more and more restaurants or public places are creating small smoking corners, to avoid interaction between them and non-smokers.
I think you're reffering to health issues and the likes.  Certainly there has to be a standard... someone's gotta keep them in line, but excluding smoking from bars?  You might as well simply shut them down outright.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 10:13:54 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
I think you're reffering to health issues and the likes.  Certainly there has to be a standard... someone's gotta keep them in line, but excluding smoking from bars?  You might as well simply shut them down outright.

Well of course the law itself would be quite precise, as to specify which types of public places need to follow the smoking regulations. Bars are made to drink, smoke and relax, before entering a bar, you already know that you're going to come out differently health wise.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 10:14:41 pm »
So if a shop owner has the total right to decide what to allow and not to allow in his store, then he can do whatever he wants there...
So there's absolutely no problem if the shop owner kills a client, after all, it's his own store - he does whatever he wants...
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 10:15:35 pm »

Well of course the law itself would be quite precise, as to specify which types of public places need to follow the smoking regulations. Bars are made to drink, smoke and relax, before entering a bar, you already know that you're going to come out differently health wise.
Well, and we have places like DisneyLand where they simply feel like letting people smoke.  Is that okay?  Sure.  They own the place.  You don't like it: you don't go there.

So if a shop owner has the total right to decide what to allow and not to allow in his store, then he can do whatever he wants there...
So there's absolutely no problem if the shop owner kills a client, after all, it's his own store - he does whatever he wants...
We're actually talking about smoking: not killing anyone.  Perhaps the owner just ought to have a huge sign saying that smoking's allowed in the store... that way they don't "impose" on your rights.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 10:19:59 pm »
We're actually talking about smoking: not killing anyone.
[/quote]
I was refering to the rights... I see your point, but smokers should think a lot about the others they may be disturbing...
I think that doing it can be comparable as you being alone, and from the nothing a kid goes running to you and starts bothering you... :\
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 10:20:41 pm »
  • Credits to BaB

Well, and we have places like DisneyLand where they simply feel like letting people smoke.  Is that okay?  Sure.  They own the place.  You don't like it: you don't go there.

Actually I'm not 100% sure you can smoke in DisneyLand, everytime I went there, I've never seen anybody smoke, it's made for kids, thus smoking should be prohibited, I don't know how I could check though. But then again, when you come to DisneyLand, you come to have fun, smoking can be involved in the fun part. The other things is that most of DisneyLand's rollercoasters are pretty stressful (as in the rollercoaster goes really fast and your heartrate shoots up), smokers need a cigarette right after that.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 10:25:03 pm »
Well, regardless, you guys make a fantastic argument, and you're actually making me reconsider and look at my opinion objectively. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 68 queries.