Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 462905 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2009, 09:28:01 pm »
So, after a week of hard week I'm still not happy with the demo, but whatever. I said I'd post a new link and so I have. Man, I'm tired right now :-\

Now then. I am expecting several glitches and such. Since I have been changing a lot of things lately. So expect a fixed up demo in a couple of weeks for all the stuff you are able to find.

I DO APPRECIATE FEEDBACK!! All the feedback. XD

The latest changes for this demo are:
- Renamed and ordened all the ingame sounds
- You can now grab the large chest
- Added and tested multible dungeon(floor)s
- Finished (dwindel)staircase transitions
- Added more rooms (and a secundairy "dungeon")
- Chest appears through floorbutton
- Staircase appears through trigger
- Localised moving backgrounds
- Converted game to gamemaker 8
- Map menu can now handle single floored dungeons (+ now has a variable background)
- Converted all external sprites to .gmspr

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »
Whenever I load a file (or when I tried to make one), I got this:
for object obj_Master_Control_Tile:

File is not opened for reading.

Nice menu though =P, I don't like how enter is select however.

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2009, 10:13:38 pm »
Did you take out all the files? You will get that error if the program can not find the external resources like the sprites or music.

By select you mean the ok button? What is wrong with enter being select? Maybe I can fix it if it's a particular moment somewhere.

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2009, 10:40:30 pm »
Take out the files? Like put every file you have in the resource folder and subfolders in there and put it in the same place as the exe?

I opened your exe and extracted, and ran it, and got the error when I pressed end after choosing my name, or trying to open one of your existing files.

And yeah, I mean the ok button, I'm not sure what your normal game control are, but I'd have preferred sometihng like Z or X, so I could select faster. Else I'm doing it all with my right hand.

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2009, 10:55:18 pm »
The folder next to the exe needs to be next to the exe after you extract it. It's really simple. The program looks for the needed resources based on it's own position. If you still have the problem after having done that, then I'll have to check myself. The principle worked fine the last 3 demo's so I see no reason why it should not work this time.

The enter button is not the only button for ok. You can use G since Enter is the extra. This is mentioned in the first post, the option menu and the in game info screen. Esc is an extra for the cancel button.

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2009, 11:14:53 pm »
It is next to the exe, I never moved anything.

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »
Then I'll check it out tomorrow. Anybody else have this problem?
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2009, 11:34:10 pm »
I didn't have the problem Ethelon is talking about. Could it possibly be a file permissions problem? I have played the first demo you brought out. It was very promising, and it looks like you've really built upon that. It does capture the alttp feel. In my attempt to debug, I did find some issues. I also attached images of them.

+ Link does get distorted at times.
+ Some surface artifacts appear at certain times. Maybe the surface not getting cleared out before using.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2009, 11:41:39 pm »
Anybody else have this problem?

No, it works just fine for me.

Now some feedback:

In door in the first attached Screenshot looks like it is open, but it's closed (collision works). I remember it is closed from previous demos.

When you stand right in front of a door to another room and swing your sword the sword beam doesn't "break", but continues flying in the other room.

In screenshot 2 I could walk while the textbox was there. When I opened another chest the textbox did stop me from walking, so it's the problem is only for this chest.

Once, when I shot a swordbeam at two pots standing in a line the swordbeam ignored the first pot and broke the second pot, but a second swordbeam then broke the first pot.

When you walk north with a wall to your right and then additionally press Right, you move north faster than if you had pressed only Up. This of course works in all other directions too. Or at least it seams faster to me.

OK, that's all I could find for now.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:44:00 pm by Sahittam »
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2009, 01:25:02 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Anybody else have this problem?

No, it works just fine for me.

Works great for me.

Besides what was already said by others, I have found no new errors.
However, I do think it feels weird that I can keep my sword charged even when I get hurt by an enemy. Because of this, I can back up with a charged sword straight through the enemies and kill them (attached pic is an example). I wouldn't consider it a glitch really, but it just doesn't seem right somehow. I think it's the way Link gets hurt; there isn't any "hurt reaction" from Link besides flashing. Link needs to bounce back a little or something, right?

Still, it looks like you've gotten a lot of glitches out. Nice work Martijn!

Ah! Just found a glitch. If you release a charged sword attack, you seem to be invincible(?). I was able to let those cannon balls pass right through me without taking damage, simply by releasing a charged spin attack (2nd pic attachment).
  • My Music
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2009, 06:10:29 am »
Great. That's some valuable feedback guys. I'll take a look at them after work.
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2009, 08:56:01 pm »
Time for some answers.

Ethelon: I can't replicate the problems so I don't know what's wrong. I'll leave it at that till more people have trouble.

Xfixium:
- Ah yes. The distorted character. I remembered somebody (=Sahittam) making a comment about the same thing way back when. I just forgot about it along the way. NotAlphaMan from another forum was quick to help me out. It's fixed now, but the same thing might still occure with other moving sprites I've missed. Instead of going through the entire game checking all objects, I'll fix it as it pops up.

- The other two images are the same problem. It's fixed but I can't check the result since I do not have these problems. Could you please check again sometime when the next demo is out?

Sahittam:
- The door has been fixed. I've been redoing all the doors so that I don't have to use a sprite per direction, but only one sprite angled. I made a typo on that one.

-The swordbeam vs doorways took me a minute. XD This actually doesn't sound like a problem. The doors do not stop the swordbeam. It's the invisible transition below that stops it. So we are probably talking about a door that does not yet have an actually connection to the next room. Could you describe the location so I can be sure?

-The swordbeam vs containers is a choice of mine. I am using two sprites for the beam. One is a rectangle for hitting walls etc. Vs other things like pots it uses the actual sprite. So there can be freak instances where an object or small enemy is missed by the beam. It wasn't the original plan, but I kinda like it. Makes it a little more realistic and challenging.
Is this what happened in your situation, or am I way of?

------

I'll have to see about the rest of the issues tomorrow.
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2009, 10:23:49 pm »
-The swordbeam vs doorways took me a minute. XD This actually doesn't sound like a problem. The doors do not stop the swordbeam. It's the invisible transition below that stops it. So we are probably talking about a door that does not yet have an actually connection to the next room. Could you describe the location so I can be sure?

No, it's a door between two existing rooms. I've attached pictures. To recreate this, walk through a door, then turn around and shoot a swordbeam, and as soon you can move, go through the doorway again. Then you'll see the swordbeam at the edge of the screen.

-The swordbeam vs containers is a choice of mine. I am using two sprites for the beam. One is a rectangle for hitting walls etc. Vs other things like pots it uses the actual sprite. So there can be freak instances where an object or small enemy is missed by the beam. It wasn't the original plan, but I kinda like it. Makes it a little more realistic and challenging.
Is this what happened in your situation, or am I way of?

Yes, I believe that's what happened.
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:48 am »
In that case the two issues are probably the same. There is a tiny opening between a wall and an transition object. I did not believe it was possible, but I guess the beam sneaked past that.

I should have now solved it by using the rectangular mask for collision vs transition objects. Seeing as how that is broader.
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2009, 10:11:30 am »
Time for more fixing.

Sahittam:
-Being able to walk away from the large chest has now been fixed.
-Walking along slopes have now been altered (= you now walk slightly slower instead of faster, which would make more sense). It was indeed true that it would speed up the character. That's because walking diagonaly has a greater speed than walking straight and the coding did not compensate.

Frozenfire:
I'll take a look at your comments next. I agree but I also want to test the effects a little before implementing since it might make the game a lot harder. Being able to get hurt while spinning I mean. Not that that's a bad thing though. It's a choice between playability and realism I guess. Anybody have any comments on that?

Did you get a chance to read my idea on the other forum btw?

ZFG

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2009, 01:22:48 pm »
  • ⌘⌥⌫↵⏏⌃
You mind telling me how you got the room transition?
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2009, 01:49:38 pm »
Sure, no problem. I'll just go over the basics.

For it to work you start with creating both rooms in the same (gamemaker) room. Make sure the path in between is placed above the character so you move under it and it feels like you're walking through the door.

So far it's just cosmetic. Next create an (in)visible object that has a collision effect with (the mask of) your character. When they collide you start a timeline that makes the character walk for a predetermined distance. Do not try to use a path. I personally use a function to pause the game while doing this and a variable to indicate the character is out of your control. Otherwise you would still be able to move him around and such and that is not good.

Now the tricky part. The view. In my game I have a object per dungeon. In that object I store coordinates and roomnumber per room. These are used to determine the upper left and lower right corner of the room. The view is centered on the character but every step I check wether or not the upper left corner of the view is past the upper left corner of the current room. If so then I reset the view. Think along the lines of view_xview[view_current] = room_topleft_x. That is how you only see the current room.

When you collide with the transition object simple turn this function of. Switch the number indicating the current room to that of the next room. And then turn it back on after the movement is done.

That's the most of it. Feel free to ask more details if it's unclear. I'm sure there are other (possible better) ways of doing this, but I kinda like this one.
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2010, 12:46:53 pm »
Okay. I've worked on the last of the comments and a fixed demo is now up.

Frozenfire: I've made it so you can now be hurt while swinging your sword, doing a full swing and sword charging. It does indeed feel a lot more natural this way. The effect of getting pushed back by the enemy is not yet included. That will require me to work on (or interrupt) the movement engine. If I'm going to do that then I want to do it right and also add sliding, swimming and pull so I'll do it at a later date. When I've figured out how to accomplice that.
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2010, 12:59:41 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Frozenfire: I've made it so you can now be hurt while swinging your sword, doing a full swing and sword charging. It does indeed feel a lot more natural this way. The effect of getting pushed back by the enemy is not yet included. That will require me to work on (or interrupt) the movement engine. If I'm going to do that then I want to do it right and also add sliding, swimming and pull so I'll do it at a later date.

Sounds great Martijn. Btw, I'm going to do some major testing tonight (on version 0.9.1). If I find any errors, I'll post them on TDC.
  • My Music
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2010, 09:34:18 pm »
Just to show I'm still working on it.

There are three rooms I am currently working on, this being the first.

Design isn't my strongest point (= still looking for a level designer), but I kinda like it. The green chest is a secret within the dungeon. One of two actually, but neither one will be needed for the completion of the dungeon. So don't feel bad if you can't find it. Think more along the lines of a heart container / trading sequence item.

A little hint for when the next demo is done: it'll become clearer with a map and boots.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 78 queries.