Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some critique  (Read 6450 times)

Need some critique
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:20:20 am »
Check attachment.
or

The far left is the original image.  It is of the hero from Sword of Mana(Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure remake).

Since, I am feeling strongly toward having my Zelda II project be closer in style to the Mana franchise, I started to edit some stuff.  I am going for a combination of Mana meets Link to the Past.

The clothes/colors might look odd but I am going for the original artwork(the adult/darker art) than what was in the manual for Zelda II.  Link has some serious long hair going on in the oiginal art.  it goes to almost the middle of his back and it's brown.  That is where I think most of the work is needed:  the face/head.

Anyway, I wonder how you guys feel on the stances.
From the left:
Stance based on original SoM hero.
Stance with smaller arms, but larger legs.
Stance with small arms and legs.
Stand with large arms and large legs.

I made the mirror stances with the arms and legs because the original stance looks a little off when using LttP standards of outlining everything.  Anyway, any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:21:26 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Need some critique
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:23:52 am »
  • :D
I tried fiddling with the sprite a bit a came up with this:

I think the far left pose is the best one, but the weird 45-degree angles near the shoulders looks really weird, so I smoothed it out a bit. The way the arms were sticking out looked unnatural.
I also made some changes to the hair and tunic.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:33:24 am by Knighty »
  • Knighty Games
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:38:09 am »
Looks much better.  Just not that good of a spriter it seems.  xD  Yours looks much better.  I guess I need to work on some hair fluff for the walk cycle now as well as sword swings/item use.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:21:32 pm »
  • It's the grineer
I think you could add another frame to make it look a bit more natural when he moves.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:44:09 pm »
I am a fan of the saga Link to the past too, but I'd better leave the sprite more colorful, as well as the original image.
Take a look at the new zelda that will be released for 3ds. It is the sequel to the SNES game with updated colors.

I also think it could draw the best robe, put some more details improve your sprite.

I hope my comments help you.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »
Blaze:  I could, however, the Mana style only has the 4 frames.  Play Sword of Mana for GBA.  I think it looks fine.  However, I could try in-between frames.  It would have to be 2 more frames.

Leduardo:  I am not actually spriting Link to the Past.  I should have been more clear.  What I am doing is taking the Hero sprite from Sword of Mana and changing him into Link from Zelda II but using LttP outline,shading,coloring standards as best as I can.
Indeed, the original LttP could use a facelift based on the new LTTP 2.  Maybe we should collaborate on something sometime.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:59:55 am »

Bleh.  Trying to make a Zelda II shield based upon the original concept art.  The official manual artwork shows Link using the Magic Shield from Legend of Zelda, however, I prefer the concept artwork.

I included a somewhat shruken version of the shield Link is holding while battling a Goryia.

The palette is the LttP palette.  I just grabbed it for something quick.  Maybe you guys could help me out?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 10:14:03 am »
  • :D
Here's my shield attempt:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:15:44 am by Knighty »
  • Knighty Games
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:24:59 am »
They both look great!  Who knew that darker colors on one half could make it look so much better.  xD

I will probably use the lighter version as the game has a Day/Night Engine where everything turns red - > dark purple as night sets int.  the darker version might be harder to see amongst the purple during night.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 01:38:17 am »
I fixed up the walking down animation a little bit.  Knighty cleaned up the side and back views I had made.
I started work on the side frames but I am having difficulty with the face turned away.
Also, the hair needs to be animated in walking down and sideways.  I don't think the cap should be animated too much as you aren't running - that's a different set of frames that I haven't started on yet.

Anyway, if I could get a hand, I could get these into the new Zelda II rework.  :3
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:20:36 pm »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
took a shot at the frame with him lookin away.
The First Link, Was A Dark One... The First Zelda, Was Not Royalty... The First Midna, Was Still Torn... And... The Soul Of Ganon, Is Vengeful For A Reason.....
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:06 pm »
Thanks , man.  Looks good.  :)
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 12:39:52 am »
I tried doing a frame of Link playing the Flute.  I was going for a side view with Link's head tilted so that his hair covered his eyes and such.

I think the whole thing looks horrible.  :/  I can use it now for a placeholder, but if someone could give it a facelift(no pun intended) that would be awesome.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 07:35:22 pm »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
Here ya go, hope this helps ya.
The First Link, Was A Dark One... The First Zelda, Was Not Royalty... The First Midna, Was Still Torn... And... The Soul Of Ganon, Is Vengeful For A Reason.....
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:57 am »
I attached my current sheet WIP for Link for Quest of Courage.  If anyone wants to give me a hand or just even fix up some of the sprites, that would be great!  I boxed the frames that I need, anything else isn't necessary, but could be useful for others to use.

The top most right set of boxed frames:
The right 3 frames are going to be used for the Hammer.  Unfortunately, Sword of Mana only shows this set of frames when opening a chest and only left/right.  So, I would need an original set of sprites for up/down(I suck at original :/ ) for the Hammer.  The sprites would also be used for the Power Gloves(lifting and throwing).  I kinda already made a kneeling down frame for left/right(hope you can find it :P).

There is a Link kneeling down sprite above him playing the Flute.  That is used for bomb placement.  Again, there are no frames(this one is heavily edited as is) from Sword of Mana to really work from except maybe the flail(hookshot) frames for up and down.

Also, the sword slash animations:
The sword is a completely different drawn object in the game.  I need Link without the sword as much as possible during the slash animation.  It's hard to read but the second frame when slashing right - Link's hand is turned so that the fist is pointing toward the sky thus making the blade perpendicular to the body.  Kinda weird but i see what Square Enix was trying to do.

Well, credit will be given for any help as I always do.

• Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:51 pm »
The head of Sprite doesn't look nice. Maybe you can try edit MC Link's head.
=)
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:42 am »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
took a shot at the side view of the hammer swinging sprites, might need a little bit of a re-work on the faces, not sure though.

Edit : also took a shot at Link walking with a sword and shield, added a half shield look to a couple sprites not sure if it looks that good or not though..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:39:08 am by Dervilacus »
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 09:02:49 am »
I made a link from the same base as you.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:43:26 am by neike60 »
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 04:28:13 am »
neike60,
Nice one!
One of the most beautiful sprites i have seen here.
Plz, keep this work.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 05:19:20 pm »
I really love that sprite above it looks great! The style is different and looks very good, would love to see more like it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 77 queries.