Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bring back "Know your ZFGCers"  (Read 3758 times)

thestig

Bring back "Know your ZFGCers"
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:58:54 am »
Hi,

The spiders that browse your site open up the older parts of this site to me and I've come across one of them viewing this topic and it seemed like a brilliant idea. Given that years have come and gone(nearly 6 years!!), it seems kinda cool to do another round. What do you guys think?

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
Re: Bring back "Know your ZFGCers"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:15:38 am »
  • Forstride Productions
I wasn't around for the old session (I used to visit here all the time yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs ago, under a different username, Yagibabla), but I'd definitely be interested in participating in one.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:07:16 am »
I cannot remember if that was done officially or not, but if it was not done officially then you could start something like it up on your own.

thestig

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:19:55 am »
I cannot remember if that was done officially or not, but if it was not done officially then you could start something like it up on your own.
Why would that even matter? You're pretty much saying that what was relevant then is relevant now. I would assume this site has evolved a bit since that post was even made. It would be a nice addition to the current homepage and a good chance for members to speak out to others to... you know, let them introduce themselves a little more. If that's your attitude, though, I don't think I'll start this up on my own. What's the point if there's no support from the administration?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:35:51 am »
I was not trying to be negative, just stating that if another member did the Know Your ZFGCer unofficially (Colbydude was not on the staff at the time of the topic you linked too) then any member could do it now - the topics then did not really have "support" from the administration either (which is not to say that the administration did not like them, just that it was not something done through staff-driven involvement. As for putting up something on the homepage, the current homepage would have to be redone and a lot of us just do not have the time because of other stuff.

thestig

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 05:04:31 am »
I was not trying to be negative,
No need to get defensive. I'm voicing my opinion here.

just stating that if another member did the Know Your ZFGCer unofficially (Colbydude was not on the staff at the time of the topic you linked too)
Yeah, sure, but how is that relevant to now? Why can't staff members become involved with their community? There's absolutely zero reason why the administrators/moderators alienate themselves from the normal members. Hell, in the end, they're just overglorified members with slightly more influence. And that's the whole _point_ in the importance in staff involvement! The idea would be even more effective if a staff member were involved with the idea. Take a look at the community project. Imagine if I were to start up my own community project now. Do you think as much people would follow it as who follows the "main" community project? Since I do not have authority on this site, it would actually be considered its own entity and people would naturally not associate "my" community project as "ZFGC's Community Project".
the topics then did not really have "support" from the administration either (which is not to say that the administration did not like them, just that it was not something done through staff-driven involvement.
I might as well take the opportunity to say this: one problem I've noticed from this site is that there seems to be little to no activity coming from the staff aside from those involved with the Community Project. While I'm aware that we all have lives, someone who runs a site kind-of has responsibility otherwise they don't deserve the position title they have. In otherwords, I'm saying this site seems like it has an incompetent group of staffs. While I do not mean to offend, there's no doubt that people will be offended by that statement. (I really mean to come off as C+C, but I am not going to apologize for any offense as I'm entitled to my own opinion) -- The Community Project seems more like its own thing than it is a project from "ZFGC". It seems more like an open source project that is only hosted on this site as a subforum. The mere existence of the community project actually goes unacknowledged on the index of the main site! Hell, even important announcements regarding the community project don't make it outside of its own subforum. Just by that, that team could so very easily pick up what they have and walk away with the project abandoning this site... (I just wanted to elaborate on my criticism to the staff, so I am sorry for going off-topic here)

As for putting up something on the homepage, the current homepage would have to be redone and a lot of us just do not have the time because of other stuff.

You have gotten yourself a very serious problem then. Either the technicalities behind the main site are so distraught that they should just be rewritten or you're making an excuse -- the point is, there's a serious problem and it has gotten to be fixed. If the index page were so complicated that it would need to be redone just to add this one entry, then I think you would be better off just sticking with static pages rather than making it dynamic. Hell, remove the DICKBUTT while you're at it.

My intention in making this topic was to hopefully get some input from the staff that would imply that someone would go and promote this on something like the home page to encourage member activity. It's one idea, sure, and its a fairly basic one, but it would at least help a bit... I mean, given the opportunity to talk about yourself, I think some people could go on for lightyears! It seemed in the past that this idea stimulated a bit of activity... but that was a different time, so the reaction may be different...

One final thing I'd like to comment on:
a lot of us just do not have the time because of other stuff.
Replace your staff. If none of you have time to do your job, then quit. Agree, disagree, love it, hate it, neutral, I don't care. Take this post as you will.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:37:09 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
How about I do it?

I mean, I am a journalist and I enjoy interviewing people. I did used to write for the front page too (there's a few ancient articles of mine deep in the site's archives), and I've been here since damn near the beginning! :D

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

thestig

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:02 pm »
How about I do it?

I mean, I am a journalist and I enjoy interviewing people. I did used to write for the front page too (there's a few ancient articles of mine deep in the site's archives), and I've been here since damn near the beginning! :D
If you're so inclined, then I can say that I'll provide support if you need any. Sucks that we can't get this posted up on the front page, but oh well.. we'll just do it like the old days?

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:38:42 am »
It doesn't need to be high-profile or anything. It's just a quick relaxed chat with members. Though I have my own ideas regarding this too...

• Mirby Studios

thestig

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:46 am »
It doesn't need to be high-profile or anything. It's just a quick relaxed chat with members. Though I have my own ideas regarding this too...
It seems how it was executed before was, anyone could sign up. I was wondering what you thought about just picking the members this time rather than having sign ups? (Just exploring ideas here, that's all)

I think keeping the sign-ups would be nice, but the execution was kinda bland. It would be the person getting interviewed IN the topic. While that's a nice idea and all, it would be nice to actually start off their topic WITH an interview. I guess that explains why some of the topics were sort of dead. Nobody really knew what to say or ask, you know? Which defeats the purpose in letting said members speak out. That being said, perhaps just a series of questions between whoever is conducting the interviews(it seems like you're interested since you mentioned being a journalist and all), would be a good starting point. Additional things I could think of... are.. well, Skype if you're wanting to try and do some voice chats with someone. Maybe even a video podcast-like thing where you're playing a game with someone. A game they are working on or made, perhaps?

Again, I'm just trying to brainstorm potential ideas here. Haha

off-topic: I couldn't help but notice "netbattler!" in your user badge. Megaman Battle Network is a freakin sweet series, dude. :)

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:30 am »
My idea was to pick a member at random, and have a few questions to ask them. But the majority of the questions would come from other users, asking in the thread.

• Mirby Studios
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 56 queries.