Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not being able to see the 3D effects has made me see the 3D of the 3DS as more  (Read 1919 times)

Not being able to see the 3D effects has made me...
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:17:07 am »
Of a gimmick honestly.

Pretty much one of my eyes isn't fully functioning, had surgeries and such, but still is pretty much useless when i;m not wearing my glasses. I don't bring my glasses out when i go out. So i tried 2 different 3DS demo units with Pilot Wings. No dice, tried moving around, moving the 3DS, changing the slider, nothing changed for me.

Though to be fair when i do eventually get one i planned on pretty much keeping the slider all the way down anyway. While my glasses do make my messed up eye usable, no clue if it will change the fact that i can't see the 3D effects.

Honestly i'm actually starting to get annoyed with the whole "gimmicks" nintendo seems to do with new things.The Motion controls were never really that fun on the Wii, only games i really enjoyed with Motion Controls was Wii Sports, and probably Skyward Sword, if it plays good.

For the DS a lot of the time i found myself trying not to use the touch screen unless the games specifically called for it. I don't mind a lot of the touch screen games i've played, though the only thing new the 3DS adds is better stuff on the inside, an analog stick, which felt very nice when i tried Pilot Wings, and the 3D effects.

Honestly do the 3D effects really add anything new besides pop-out or the box view i assume Pilot Wings has based on the picture at Gamestop. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but whatever happened to just regular gaming, now even the NGP wants to add Touch Screen and act like it's something new.

I;m actually pretty worried about the Wii 2 at this rate. I guess this is more of a why do companies insist on adding "gimmicks" to things that really don't need it.

I'm not against the 3D effects, just that not being able to see the 3D effects kind of made me see the 3D as more of a gimmick then something that would improve general gameplay or the experience of the Handheld. I will still be getting one, because of Persona 3DS, Resident Evil, the good one with a story, not the Mercenaries crap., and other games i want

Re: Not being able to see the 3D effects has mad...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
If you like the 3D effects, it's pretty cool.  And if you don't like it, you can just turn the slider down.  To me it's different from the DS touch screen or the Wiimote because it's entirely optional.  No game is gonna force you to use it.  And since there are people who like the 3D, why not have it as an option?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »
The only way anyone can seem to get any sort of "casual" playerbase anymore is with gimmicks. And it works, to our dismay. People don't want to play games anymore, they only want to experience them.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
The problem is it's optional: It can't actually enhance the experience in anyway other than "oh that looks slightly 3D...okay" and then being entirely ignored and irrelevant. At least if it was required they could use it in clever ways, like requiring the player to move their head and look around an area or something.  Then again, even that would be better suited to the Wii or Kinect due the the small size of the 3DS...so yeah, it just seems entirely pointless and without purpose or justification except "well it's cool for the whole 5 seconds you actually notice it".

The rise of the guaranteed and mandatory presence of touch screens has forced (in many places dragged kicking and screaming) quite a bit of innovation from the game development circles (both indie and professional) in recent years because they couldn't just bury their heads in the sand and avoid it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:03:24 pm by TheDarkJay »

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »
  • b e p i s
Am I the only person here who honestly thinks well-done 3D is the future?
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:44:46 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
It's just a graphical improvement.  It doesn't need to innovate gameplay to be a good thing.  It's as much a gimmick as the switch from sprites to 3d models was.  So you say you can't really notice it that much?  Well, a PS3 game certainly looks better than a PS1 game, it'll get better.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:25:59 am »
  • 笑い男
The problem is it's optional: It can't actually enhance the experience in anyway other than "oh that looks slightly 3D...okay" and then being entirely ignored and irrelevant. At least if it was required they could use it in clever ways, like requiring the player to move their head and look around an area or something.  Then again, even that would be better suited to the Wii or Kinect due the the small size of the 3DS...so yeah, it just seems entirely pointless and without purpose or justification except "well it's cool for the whole 5 seconds you actually notice it".

The rise of the guaranteed and mandatory presence of touch screens has forced (in many places dragged kicking and screaming) quite a bit of innovation from the game development circles (both indie and professional) in recent years because they couldn't just bury their heads in the sand and avoid it.

Can't agree with this.

Sure right now 3D's all about "WOW 3D! NEW! AWESOME!" and all that gimmicky crap, but when that gets old and boring, all that'll be left is the 3D feature there to be used for enhancing games, instead of trying to make cheap sales.
Same with the touch screen/dual screens of the DS. I can't imagine a DS without those features as they make playing the games made for them so much better/easier to play, especially with displaying menu like stuff that you can easily navigate view touching along with all the action.
But no one really appreciates how much that improves things as it's just too obvious now.

As for the 3D, I can see it being very useful to actually see the 3D game world... in 3D lol
Up until now that wasn't possible on normal 2D TV's and so you'd sometimes think you'd be standing right under a block in mario 64 to only jump up to hit it and actually miss it as you're off a bit either forwards or backs, as you just can't judge such things so perfectly without using two eyes to judge distance, which is made impossible if only one image is displayed on the screen, but with two images, one for each eye, you can now do this.

This is where I can see 3D being made obvious to the point where you just forget about it being there yet the experience is still enhanced and there's no more missing blocks or jumps or whatever thanks to mis-judging depth.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Honestly, though I don't think the 3D part of the 3DS is the most important improvement for the system I think it is amazing in its own right.  If nothing else because it is the only system that has it.  I haven't seen it work yet, but I imagine it will work well.  I am most exited though about hardware improvements.  I was stoked when I heard they were putting in a joy stick because that ment we would be getting some real games  Like OoT.  I actually hope that the games will focus less on Touch Screen Control and more on analoge stick control.  Leave touch screens for menues.  I really hope that at some point they make a unique Zelda title for the system though...  And not that Phantom/Spirit Tracks crap either.  It's got the guts to do it so why not

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:37:28 am »
  • Silly cat!
I have a screwed up eyeball too. Go to 3D movies, and I can't see no !@#$% coming out at me, or whatever. Glasses don't help, surgery might, but anyway, 1 in 10 people can't experience the 3D effect. So, obviously I don't plan on using it on the 3DS. On the other hand, I can see how Nintendo will make the 3D effect fun. Shiggy said something like, actually incorporating the 3D effect into games like Super Mario 3DS, and I went to have a think about it, and I came up with the idea that they could totally have like (in a sidescrolling context) platforms to jump between, except only when the platforms are on the same depth plane as Mario, which may be when they come out of the screen or when they're not. The same thing could totally be done with vine hopping in Donkey Kong - rather than vines swinging from left to right in a sidescrolling world, swing from away from you, to you. It's sorta like Super Paper Mario in reverse. Anyway, if I could experience the 3D effect, I think that would be really rad.

Woe is me.

Hoffy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 56 queries.