Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda 2 Recreation  (Read 6983 times)

Zelda 2 Recreation
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:36:29 am »
Greetings,

Long time lurker, first time posted here  XD

I've been poking at GameMaker for the last few months and in an effort to learn it better, I decided to recreate my all time favorite old-school zelda game, Zelda 2: the Adventure of Link. While creating it, I've learned a lot about how GM works and how things fit together. Also, browsing around the web, I've not found a lot of love for this game, so in addition to teaching myself something, I've decided that when I'm finished, that I want to release it to the world so that people can make their own Z2 type games, or remix Z2 as it stands today.

Currently, I have most of the core of the game completed for the first area (Ruto, Rauru, and Parapa Palace), currently working on NPCs and enemies. I'm aiming for mostly identical to the original game, though I've already tweaked a few things (graphically) that make the game work a bit better with today's standards (I'm creating the game at a resolution of 1280x1024 and not all single screen rooms fit so I added a few extra blocks to fill them out).

I hope to have a playable demo of the first area by the end of April. If anyone is interested, I'll post it here.

I'm also contemplating remaking Z2 with some updated sprites and higher graphics once everything is said and done, as swapping them out should be trivial. (Concept video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmJ3i7UFtTg)

If anyone is interested in following along on this adventure, I created a youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPpc19KKS8apBYrUx1RDjbw

Feedback is welcome!

-Val
  • Z2 Remake YouTube Page

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
Re: Zelda 2 Recreation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:13:19 am »
  • .越//
Well, it looks like Z2, which is okay... but the "new graphics"

The Link Sprite doesn't fit to the Tiles and the Tiles doesn't Fit to the Background... all those parts look like they are from different games

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 06:27:50 am »
Aye - Very rudimentary  ;)
  • Z2 Remake YouTube Page

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 02:51:36 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Very nice so far IMO. Using a background with parallax scrolling PERIOD is already a great idea.

(I'm trying to keep myself from saying some things, as I fear I might end up taking over your project with suggestions.)
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:08:55 pm »
(I'm trying to keep myself from saying some things, as I fear I might end up taking over your project with suggestions.)

Go nuts. I figure if we can start a discussion about what people would like to see eventually, now; I can start planning the code base to handle it in the existing project. Never hurts to be forward looking :)
  • Z2 Remake YouTube Page

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:53:37 pm »
  • .越//

why? i think he should make the game he wants and if he is open to suggestions than so be it...
my comment on the graphics were just so that he wouldnt make the mistake for the whole game, since its destroying the imersion when clashing different styles

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:35:10 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
OK then, here goes...

Ever played Golden Sun? I mean particularly either of the ones for the Game Boy Advance.
The overworld.
... Catch my drift?
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 03:33:31 pm »
  • Personal Saucier
OK then, here goes...

Ever played Golden Sun? I mean particularly either of the ones for the Game Boy Advance.
The overworld.
... Catch my drift?

Seven wise men and women entered a phonebooth. Three returned.
... Catch my drift?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »
The style of Metroid 2D games.
In dungeons.
... Catch my drift?

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:43:33 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
...Well, that derailed quickly.

OK, I only meant to recall Golden Sun because the overworld aspect of that game was pretty much directly influenced by the classic jRPGs like Final Fantasy... which is also how Zelda II came into being. If you're going for the HD effect, I doubt there's much better one can do than Camelot's saga.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:27:41 am by Miles07 »

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 11:46:03 pm »
I haven't played either of those - but looking at some random let's plays on youtube, I can understand your idea. I think it would work well.

On another note, if any of you are interested in poking at what i have so far, I have an alpha release available here:
https://goo.gl/LD8Vxr

Controls:
Arrows - D-PAD emulation (movement, entry of doors)
Space - A emulation (jump)
Ctrl - B emulation (attack, interact)
Enter - Start Emulation (menu, pause)
A - Select Emulation (Cast spell)

Debug Keys (Not valid in overworld):
S - Give Next Spell
I - Give Next Inventory Item
Mouse wheel up - Increase XP by 5
B - Boss Camera Mode Toggle (stop screen scrolling)

I am aware there are several bugs, but feel free to post anything you find that's out of the ordinary as I may not have found them myself yet  ;)
  • Z2 Remake YouTube Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 60 queries.

anything