Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: When is lying okay?  (Read 11111 times)

Re: When is lying okay?
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2007, 06:28:46 pm »
Still, if humans are 100% selfish then the "the end justifies the means" idea doesn't work.  Take your WWIII example.  What if one of those 1000 "children" was you?  In that case then it would not be justified to die in order to save the rest of the world, since you'd obviously value your own life above everyone else's.  But you said that logically it would be best to sacrifice a relaively small group of individuals in order to save a larger group.  So which is it?  Are you saying that either action could be justified depending on who makes the decision?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 06:31:06 pm by dannyjenn »
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2007, 06:51:14 pm »
Oh wow, the irony.  I didn't this topic existed until about a minute ago, the irony is that I'm watching "Liar Liar" right now.  XD 

Anyways, like just about everything else, lying all depends circumstances.  A lie can save a life just as much as it can end one.  It's all about the circumstances of lie that make it good, bad, or both.
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2007, 07:40:14 pm »
  • [sic]
I could argue that we like seeing other people happy because we expect nice things in return 8)

An eye for an eye goes both ways and all that.
Except that I already answered that idea in my post. And disregarding that entirely, that doesn't explain why it often makes us happy simply to see other people happy. Not when we have done something for them, but just that we know they are happy, and that makes us happy.

And your hypothetical situation about killing 1,00 people vs. a million people defies this idea as well. If you think it is better to kill 1,000 then a million then you obviously have some value for other people's lives, even when you are given no reason to. After all, you can throw all the "might"s you like around, but the fact is that in your situation these are simply numbers and there is no solid reason why one choice would benefit you more than another.
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2007, 08:37:38 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I must be missing that part of my brain, because seeing other people happy doesn't make me happy at all, it makes me indifferent.

And I'm putting it logically, 1 million random people have a greater chance of helping me than 1000 XD

And the people involved in the dying would try to fight back in some way, human nature. If I was one of the to-be-deads I'd fight back and say "Damn the world", because that'd be human instinct and all.

If I survived and the world was damned, it'd not justify the means at all. But it'd be my nature.

I say the end justifies the means, does not mean I always care about the end. Me dying would be for the best, but damned I wouldn't like it XD

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2007, 10:38:21 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Depending. Lying is never really OK, but If somebody will be badly injured(feelings are NOT badly injured, losing a body part, or breaking a bone is.), or if there is a huge sum(hundreds of dollars, or a laptop with extremely important data) at stake, go for it.

Personally I think lying to save somebodys feeling is simply stupid, they should grow some balls and get over it.(Unless its my GF, which will mean no good sleep ;))
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2007, 01:20:18 am »
Just wondering... what kind of situation would you ever be in where you'd need to lie in order to prevent someone from losing a body part or breaking a bone?  You could probably lie to cause the opposite (example, tricking someone into doing somehting that will injure them by saying it won't) but the other way doesn't make much sense.  It's possible that you could trick someone into not doing something that's dangerous but there'd probably be easier / better ways of talking them out of it besides lieing to them.
I also don't see how lieing would help you to aquire a "huge sum"... at most I'd say it might be useful in covering up some other crime that you committed to obtain the money / laptop
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2007, 12:56:29 am »
thedarkjay, i don't think you got it all right

it is true that primarily people act only to satisfy their needs. in that way everyone is purely selfish. as you pointed out, if someone helps another person he only helps it to make himself feel better, to avoid feeling guilty for example.

however, it's really the relation between the drive to make yourself not feel guilty and the other more "selfish" drives (eg for social acceptance or survival) that matters. if that drive overrides other on really severe situations (eg if someone loves another person enough that he would kill himself to save the other) then the point of pure egoism becomes void.

so it really depends entirely on the person. you can still trust friends if they are build to give in to their "guilty-drive" easier then to their own other selfish-drives.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:59:37 am by kirbyy »
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2007, 04:15:56 pm »
Just wondering... what kind of situation would you ever be in where you'd need to lie in order to prevent someone from losing a body part or breaking a bone?  You could probably lie to cause the opposite (example, tricking someone into doing somehting that will injure them by saying it won't) but the other way doesn't make much sense.  It's possible that you could trick someone into not doing something that's dangerous but there'd probably be easier / better ways of talking them out of it besides lieing to them.
I also don't see how lieing would help you to aquire a "huge sum"... at most I'd say it might be useful in covering up some other crime that you committed to obtain the money / laptop

"Is there a bus coming?"
"pfft, no"
*gets hit by a bus*

:P

And LynkW Human emotion effects us more then you'd care to believe. It does actually hurt when you feel down/depressed, lied too, ignored, unloved/cared for, and so on. I'm going through a few of them now :(.
no I refuse to into detail.
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2007, 06:14:03 pm »
I know this topic is old but I just had to make this post.

Never let your sense of morals stop you from doing what's right - Isac Asimov (Not Isac Amisov)
Ya I'm a show off.
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2007, 05:51:54 am »
If you're keeping a truth from someone who has no right to know it, then I believe lying is OK because your intent isn't to deceive but to guard someone or something.
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2007, 12:58:50 pm »
Imagine this:

You have slept with the girlfriend of somebody else. Now you are just walking on the street, and suddenly a guy rans towards you with a bat in his hands. He grabs you in the neck and asks, did you slept with my girlfriend?

Decide then, if lying is okay. XD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 59 queries.