Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recreate overworld with another tileset  (Read 9996 times)

Recreate overworld with another tileset
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:56:35 pm »
First i get a tileset from overworld and then rebuild the overworld with another tileset.

The tileset from overworld looks like this:

And then a another tileset:

The both tilesets can rebuild parts of the overworld, regardless how shuffled they are.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:20:36 pm by Gedosemo »
Re: Recreate overworld with another tileset
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:00 pm »
No I don't think there is such a program. If the tiles where exactly the same, then maybe a pattern matcher could find the correct tiles. But if the coloring is of by a bit, than it would require the program to understand the content of the tiles. And a computer is hardwired for computations in the logic and mathematical sense and not pattern recognition.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »
The logic must have a eye to see red, green and blue values from every pixel within a 16x16 tile and then store it in memory.
And same goes for every tile. And then when the scanning is complete, all the rgb values per pixel within a 16x16 must be still in memory for comparing logics. And comparing logics is used to rebuild the overworld with a custom tileset with same tiles as the original tileset.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »
Yes, that is true. If the tiles are the same, thus the same array of color values with the 16x16 area. But if only with pixel in one channel of the color the value is of by one, then the computer won't recognize the tile. Thus for example you have a 16x16 tile where all the pixels have a color (rgb) of (255,6,37) and compare it with a tile in another tileset where all the pixels except for one have the color (255,6,37) and the one pixel has (255,5,37), then the tiles won't match.

Or one picture uses a 3 channel (rgb) colors and the other uses a 4 channel (argb) where all the pixels in the alpha channel have the value of 255. There are so many variations of problems that a computer just can't deal with.

In addition a map build from a tileset does not contain image information, but only an number referencing the tile from the tileset. Thus without the original tileset it would not know what image information belongs to the number.

So I don't think there is an application for it. But I could be wrong, because I hardly know every bit of software out there.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:02:20 pm »
If this program does not exist, then i hope someone will make it for me and others too.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:05:24 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
If this program does not exist, then i hope someone will make it for me and others too.

The thing is that there's really no point to it. Outside of mere image dumps, it's just not useful at all. I don't think anyone's going to make it for you, but I'm sure if you were to attempt to make it yourself you'd be able to get some assistance on making sure your code is correct.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:09:06 pm »
The goal is zelda ooa/oos in alttp style.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:16:51 pm by Gedosemo »
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
Mmmm, I think GMare could help you out, but it is not done. :-\ Awhile back one of the importers was an image to room (map) importer. Which it would take an image, compile an optimized tileset (Which the user could then rearrange to their liking), then convert that information into a room (map). At that point you could just export the tileset, edit the tiles in a new style, and re-import it into GMare. Thus changing all the tiles to the new style quite easily. Although you'd have to wait for it to be done. Which it is scheduled to be done this month.
  • Pyxosoft

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:46:08 pm »
  • .越//
Mmmm, I think GMare could help you out, but it is not done. :-\ Awhile back one of the importers was an image to room (map) importer. Which it would take an image, compile an optimized tileset (Which the user could then rearrange to their liking), then convert that information into a room (map). At that point you could just export the tileset, edit the tiles in a new style, and re-import it into GMare. Thus changing all the tiles to the new style quite easily. Although you'd have to wait for it to be done. Which it is scheduled to be done this month.

already looking forward to it :)

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:01:16 am »

But you can't do it by just importing a new tileset that is completely arange different with other tiles.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:18:36 am »
Correct, I was offering it as an alternative.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:08 am »
The goal is zelda ooa/oos in alttp style.
I am sorry but if you are trying what I think you are trying, from what I know about limitations and whatnot, you cannot inject LttP tiles into a GBC rom and hope you get the desired effect.  Color limitations alone won't work.
If you are trying the other method I am thinking about of recreating it in a RAD or even in a language, by the time you have developed the perfect tile-swapping program that replaces tiles on a map image such as something from VGmaps, you could have already manually replaced every tile.

Just re-tile by hand.  Not a job many enjoy(except for one or two people around here :D ), but no one is going to do the work for you.  Unless of course you had a great engine ready to go or something like that.

What I understand from your posts, you want someone to right a program to where you can basically take the overworld map from vgmaps or wherever and have the program "instantly" replace the OoS/OoA overworld tileset with LttP.

Not trying to be a DICK, but that just seems pretty lazy to me, especially since you want someone else to make the program for you.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:22:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well that and the big blob of 16x16 tiles at the top isn't a tileset.

When dealing with games with palettes, jumbling everything up like that is a bad idea :x you're not going to be able to use it *at all* in any form of modding capacity.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 07:33:55 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Didn't WWFan make a program that does exactly what the OP is asking for? Arranged roughly based on RGB too.

NVM I somehow completely misinterpreted the OP... Your best bet would be to make your OW in GM(are) and replace the tilesets? *shrug*
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 02:36:29 pm »
You cannot inject LttP tiles into a GBC rom and hope you get the desired effect.  Color limitations alone won't work.
This is not a romhack, its only the ground for someones zelda engine.

If you are trying the other method I am thinking about of recreating it in a RAD or even in a language, by the time you have developed the perfect tile-swapping program that replaces tiles on a map image such as something from VGmaps.
I am not a programmer, then i can't develop it.

You could have already manually replaced every tile.
Just re-tile by hand.
Its very time wasting + i am lazy.

But no one is going to do the work for you.
This world is lazy, like a year makes no difference.

Unless of course you had a great engine ready to go or something like that.
Martijn dh does have the best zelda engine so far.
and never forget correct collision pushing and sword poking animations.

You want someone to right a program to where you can basically take the overworld map from vgmaps or wherever and have the program "instantly" replace the OoS/OoA overworld tileset with LttP.
Yes and Resizing alttp tiles to fit similar tiles in ooa/oos.

Your best bet would be to make your OW in GM(are) and replace the tilesets?
I will never try to rebuild the whole overworld from ooa or oos from scratch by looking at a picture in paint and copy what i remember with many mouse clicks here and there, aka recreating the overworld by hand, tile for tile and so-on.

Gamemaker should have a eye if the tileset was randomized and/or mixed/stripped.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:55:32 pm by Gedosemo »
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 05:34:46 pm »
I will never try to rebuild the whole overworld from ooa or oos from scratch by looking at a picture in paint and copy what i remember with many mouse clicks here and there, aka recreating the overworld by hand, tile for tile and so-on.

Gamemaker should have a eye if the tileset was randomized and/or mixed/stripped.

Wow...  I am restraining myself right now.

You LOAD the OoA/OoS overworld into GAMEMAKER as a BACKGROUND.  CREATE a room that is the exact same dimensions as the overworld.
LOAD the LttP overworld TILESET as a background that is set as a tileset.

In your room that you created, set background 0 to the OoS/OoA.
Once you have done that, you are free to begin using the LttP tileset to manually redo the overworld.  Not that hard to point and click 16x16 tiles

This world is lazy, like a year makes no difference.

No, it shouldn't.  Everyone that has been ripping from roms for years understand you have to reconstruct the tileset.
Oh and with this kind of response, sounds like you are trying to change the subject.  You were talking about swapping tilesets in your first post, not Gamemaker fixing a tileset.  Not biting.

And I love this one:
Its very time wasting + i am lazy.
Then leave.  ZFGC is not going to help someone who puts forth no effort.  Especially if they blatantly state ,as I quoted you at the top of my reply, that they will never do the job themselves.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:42:02 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 06:37:43 pm »

Sigh, okay just once. A computer is made for logical and mathematical computations. It can compare the equality of a sequence, yes, but only if the sequence has exactly the same bit values. A computer is not made to recognize patterns. It does not know what randomized is. It does not know what mixed is. And it does not know what stripped is. It only knows if something is exactly equal or not. And if not the computer thinks it is a completely different thing.

For example when you have a OOA tileset and you have LttP tileset. Now you create a new tileset from the OOA tileset by swapping two tiles. When the computer compares the new with the original then it will consider it just as different as when it compares the original with the LttP tileset.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 06:47:32 pm »
Thanks for fast responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 71 queries.

anything