Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What language or program do you use?

C/C++
- 28 (28.6%)
GML/Game Maker
- 35 (35.7%)
Java
- 6 (6.1%)
TGF/MMf
- 7 (7.1%)
VB
- 9 (9.2%)
other (Specify)
- 13 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Languages?  (Read 25980 times)

Re: Languages?
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2006, 04:51:04 pm »
Your teacher may well be right - pure HTML does not have a looping construct and cannot store variables. With embedded PHP or Javascript, HTML becomes a true language... though one could argue that PHP and Javascript are the languages, and HTML is just the wrapper. =) See the definition of Turing Complete for more information. =P

Ben

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2006, 04:54:26 pm »
Technically Fox, GML isn't a *real* language either.
Why?
Because it's interpretted, just like HTML.

I think. :-p (Though it is interpretted, duh).
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2006, 06:17:48 pm »
  • The Broken King
GML is a scripting language, not a programming langauge.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2006, 08:36:15 pm »
I disagree that VB cannot be used to program a media player or preload game levels,
 And, as you said, there's nothing stopping VB from using the CreateThread API from the Kernel32 library to create a new thread.
Threading isnt nessecary for those things yes. But it simplifies things (well..it does) and allows much easier handling of the programs time loop (Can rely on a more constant proportion of cpu time).
A media player wouldnt have to pre-load a whole song (or if it would it'd keep it uncompressed : lol i remmember one day i decided to try loading all of Master Of Puppets...took up 80 megs of ram somehow): Load a few chunks, and while decompressing them, play the ones already decompressed..when finished, free, by which time now-decompressed ones can be played back. Obviously nessecary when dealing with movies: Of course your right it doesnt need threading, but then the gui thread and loading thread would be combined: a gui thread, altered in its time by user actions, interrupted, and forced to set a timer so the loading of some kb's of media can be called from the windows callback proc every x millisecs. I say leave it open and free to do what it does, and let another thread handle media in the desired time chunks.

You can overload variables in VB6, but I've never had the need to (I don't quite understand why you would want the same variable to act as a floating point integer one frame and a fixed point integer the next. Couldn't this lead to nasty game-stopping errors if the variable was expected to be one type but turned out to be another?).
Yeah. Its usually for the kind of efficiency in storage (swapping from using on to the other) that the compiler would end up doing better than the programmer if he wrote normally anyway. In C/C++ a union would allow that, or referencing a cast of a *( void* ) .
Functions on the other hand can be usefull, eg make a parent object with a virtual update(), a virtual render(), and make each of the child objects implement their own update() and render(). When they do so, they can do their own specific things, then call the bases update(), or, the base can call their update eg: this->update(), will call the 'youngest' childs update. Also, with arrays of function pointers, or something similar, something like:switch(val){case a:doA(argu);break;case b:doB(argu);break;....doZ(argu); } can be far faster and easily read as ( do[val] )( argu );

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2006, 12:39:21 am »
C and C++ are almost the same language, and I thought that C# and C++ were also almost the same language. But once I was told that C# is not as simmilar to C++ as C++ is simmilar to C. Does anyone knows if this is true?
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2006, 04:26:01 am »
  • The Broken King
sjegtp, you are correct that C# and c++ are different. If I recall correctly, c# is windows only too...
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2006, 04:49:07 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Technically Fox, GML isn't a *real* language either.
Why?
Because it's interpretted, just like HTML.

I think. :-p (Though it is interpretted, duh).
Lol, well then technically I don't know any real languages yet. I only know GML and HTML, lol... I guess the C++ will help out. :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 54 queries.

anything