Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Playstation Suite  (Read 7840 times)

Playstation Suite
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:53:40 am »
Playstation Suite is now in open beta for anyone who wants to have a crack at getting their stuff on a vita :3

http://www.playstation.com/pss/index_e.html
Re: Playstation Suite
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:59:38 am »
Saw the post on Facebook. REALLY glad it's in C#. I'll probably be tinkering around for a few hours with this. :3
  • https://colbydude.com

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:20 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Same, I'll be trying this afterschool :p. So does this not make games for PS3? It makes me sad.
I support:
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:07 pm »
Lol no chance of ps3 :). Works for any sony-certified devices. Which at the moment is basically vita and the xperia phones. You'll need to sign a contract before you can debug live on the devices though, otherwise you'll be using the simulator.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:49:18 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
Where's the Mac version?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »
  • Oh.
As much as I hate C#, I love portables and I loved the PSP..

..so I'm going to be remaking Cobalt Runner for it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaDMSTLWfs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaDMSTLWfs</a>
Hm.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »
  • Oh.
Lol no chance of ps3 :). Works for any sony-certified devices. Which at the moment is basically vita and the xperia phones. You'll need to sign a contract before you can debug live on the devices though, otherwise you'll be using the simulator.

I'm already able to test on device. There's no agreement or anything that I can remember.. Maybe after the beta phase that'll be in place.
Hm.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:39 pm »

I'm already able to test on device. There's no agreement or anything that I can remember.. Maybe after the beta phase that'll be in place.
It's after the beta. During you can test all you like.

Beta ends in November I believe.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 06:13:40 pm »
Goddamn it!  Now I got more tools to play with.  Curse you!
I am loving what I have messed with in samples/examples already.  This might force me to get a Vita :/
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:18:01 pm »
  • Oh.

From what I read in the PDF that I think you're referring to, the only thing you need is the $99 license to deploy to your own device once the beta period ends.
Hm.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »

From what I read in the PDF that I think you're referring to, the only thing you need is the $99 license to deploy to your own device once the beta period ends.

http://www.playstation.com/pss/developer/index_e.html

2. Test and Debug
You can test and debug games and applications developed with the PS Suite SDK on the PlayStation®Vita system and PlayStation™Certified devices.

*After the Open Beta period, you will be required to sign a separate contract.
I presume thats probably the same thing as the $99 license fee.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »
  • Oh.
http://www.playstation.com/pss/developer/openbeta/faq_e.html

Mhmm, the FAQ unfortunately confirms pretty much exactly what you were saying.
Hm.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »
I'll ask around at work and see if I can find out.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 08:51:37 pm »
  • Oh.

Where the hell do you work?
Hm.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56:09 pm »

Sony ...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:23 pm »
  • Oh.

Sony ...

It's been a while since I was last on these forums.. I wonder how old you were when I was around here. I was 11 when I used to go on these forums back in '06. Things change, and I remember you just being a kid too, lol. I remember when you had set up that BinaryPhoenix website, if I remember correctly.

Let me know what you find out. It'd be nice if you could still test on-device without a license so the homebrew scene could thrive without having to heck the device. What's the word on other languages? I'd much prefer C++, I already have a codebase in that, and I largely chose to write it in C++ because of low level functionality and multi-platform support. I don't think Sony would be too happy about the low level functionality and would much prefer the relative safety of things running in a VM.

Speaking of, the C# you write for this is JIT'd, right? It better be :-X
Hm.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »
It's been a while since I was last on these forums.. I wonder how old you were when I was around here. I was 11 when I used to go on these forums back in '06. Things change, and I remember you just being a kid too, lol. I remember when you had set up that BinaryPhoenix website, if I remember correctly.
How things change :). I'm 23 now, so you can work out my age then from that :P. Whatcha up to these days?

Let me know what you find out. It'd be nice if you could still test on-device without a license so the homebrew scene could thrive without having to heck the device. What's the word on other languages? I'd much prefer C++, I already have a codebase in that, and I largely chose to write it in C++ because of low level functionality and multi-platform support. I don't think Sony would be too happy about the low level functionality and would much prefer the relative safety of things running in a VM.
I doubt it will happen, one of the main reasons of using C# is to easier allow the code to run in a sandbox (Sony are honestly the most paranoid people I have ever known when it comes to the security of their consoles, they really don't want any security holes that allow unsigned code D:), plus I think they reckon that if anyone wants to do C++ they will just sign up to the developers program (it's actually surprisingly easy to get into from what I've been reading on the scedev forums). Especially if you go down the mini's route.

Not to mention that low-level access might cause issues with Sony's write-once-run-anywhere policy (well anywhere meaning any certified sony devices :P).

Speaking of, the C# you write for this is JIT'd, right? It better be :-X
If it works like the PSP/mini's stuff on the PS3, I think it's emulated (non-JIT), they also have some crazy executable format that can be transported between any of their platform without recompilation.

That said, I work on the toolchain team. The jap's do all the emulator stuff, so not something I know a lot about.

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Well you could always use XNA to make Xbox, Windows and Windows Phone games and it's almost exactly like this program. Do you really need to make games for Mac or Linux? Most gamers use Windows. And C++ and C# are not entirely different so it would not take long to port your codebase over.

I must say I really like this program. It's basically entirely OpenGL, I like that. The documents are alright, and the samples are helpful. I'm going to be spending my next few days writing an engine and hopefully out will pop a game! This is going to be a great learning experience for me and for my friend who I'll be helping (I'm making him program most of it, and he knows nothing about OpenGL so this will be a huge challenge for him). I'm a little confused about the FAQs. After the beta, we will not have to pay for the program itself, will we?
I support:
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »
Do you really need to make games for Mac or Linux? Most gamers use Windows. And C++ and C# are not entirely different so it would not take long to port your codebase over.
You would be surprised actually, especially when it comes to indie games, the linux market is pretty huge. Mac is still pretty tiny tho.

Also C++ and C# are worlds apart. My god I would hate converting a C++ codebase to C#, pretty sure the majority of it would not even be possible either. Especially not with PSS, which (I believe?) dosen't permit unsafe C# code to be run on the devices.

After the beta, we will not have to pay for the program itself, will we?
Programs free I believe, need to pay $99 for publishing contract / debug live on platforms.
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »
  • Oh.
I doubt it will happen, one of the main reasons of using C# is to easier allow the code to run in a sandbox (Sony are honestly the most paranoid people I have ever known when it comes to the security of their consoles, they really don't want any security holes that allow unsigned code D:), plus I think they reckon that if anyone wants to do C++ they will just sign up to the developers program (it's actually surprisingly easy to get into from what I've been reading on the scedev forums). Especially if you go down the mini's route.

Not to mention that low-level access might cause issues with Sony's write-once-run-anywhere policy (well anywhere meaning any certified sony devices :P).

I expected this anyway, but it's still a bit of a letdown. Developers programs for consoles are usually quite expensive.

If it works like the PSP/mini's stuff on the PS3, I think it's emulated (non-JIT), they also have some crazy executable format that can be transported between any of their platform without recompilation.

That said, I work on the toolchain team. The jap's do all the emulator stuff, so not something I know a lot about.

If that's true about no JIT and only a VM, that's a huge bummer. That "crazy executable format" is basically Mono's .NET implementation, which is based off Microsoft's .NET which is considered a standard now, so it's not that crazy. Just crazy slow as compared to natively compiled code, especially since there's no JIT compilation from what you just said! At least you have raw OpenGL access, and most games ARE GPU-bound anyway, so hopefully the reduced execution speed won't cause too many issues.

It would've been nice to see some emulators made on this platform, but because it's not JIT'd those are going to have a lot of issues. Might've been able to have a N64 emulator at decent speeds if it was JIT'd and allowed linking C# dynamically, but I doubt the latter is even allowed in any way, shape, or form.
Hm.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 77 queries.