Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable application  (Read 2569 times)

Portable application
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:10:25 am »
I need an idea!
How can I create a portable application without creating temporary files?
Re: Portable application
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31:01 am »
What exactly is a "portable application"?  I'm not familiar with the term so I looked it up and it seems to just be a program that you run directly off of a USB drive.

In that case, I don't see why it would ever need to make any temporary files.  Programs don't make files on their own unless you design them that way... if you design it so that it never creates any files or that any files it creates remain in the USB drive then I don't see why that would ever be a problem at all.

Also... isn't it bad to run stuff from such devices (flash drives especially)?  I thought that reading from flash drives was a lot slower than reading from a hard drive... and they are more prone to failure / errors / corruption / being deleted / etc.  What is the point in such an application if you can just move it to the computer, run it directly, and then delete it afterwards?

thestig

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:42:57 am »
Easy: load everything into RAM and partition some RAM space for needed information.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:14:37 am »
This depends entirely on what you mean. Some people talk about creating a portable application and mean making a portable version of an app that isn't already portable, like making a portable version of Google Chrome.

If you mean making your own application that is 'portable', you simply do not instruct it to save any files. If this is what you are doing I must ask what language you will be programming it in?
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »
  • The king of Awesome
Chrome has already ported for mobile but just android 4.0, it's coming to iOS after the beta it seems but not for sure yet.

Are you trying to port or create a multi-platform application?  And is it a game or just a general purpose app?
If it's a game may I recommend cocoas2D it will allow you to create games for iOS/Android and even windows phone, it also allows you to create that game for windows, mac, and linux.

If your porting an application it depends on 2 things, what language was it written with, and obviously do you have the source code.

If it was c/c++ it shouldn't be too hard to port but let's just say it was created with windows only in mind and that library/framework has no mac/linux and wp7/android/ios support you may or may not have to completely rewrite that application for your portable device.

Just my 2 cents.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 09:24:07 am »
Hmmm... You should use VMware Virtualization or BoxedAppPacker for converting your app to portable version.
Good luck!   :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 50 queries.

anything